Bungie: ODST Is Really The End of Halo 3

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Trist66 said:
Skeleon said:
Played the first part. It was a repetetive, very average shooter at most. Which is why I didn't care about the sequels and don't care about this news now, either. ^^
This is a new oppinion never before voiced to this forum. This is groundshattering in it's brilliance.

And obviously they'll just make more halo games. They're gonna milk the shit out of this cash cow.
Wow, my post was so long ago, I really didn't expect anybody to quote it now.
I had already forgotten about this thread.

Fenixhart

Mar 26, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
vivaldiscool said:
Of all the ways you can bash halo, that one just doesn't work. Bigger and better FPS games have come along, and it's still more popular than any of them.
I didn't even know Halo existed until 3 came out, that's why I find it a forgettable and lack-luster experience.
That just means you've been living under a rock more than anything.

Or have an obscenely high evasion stat. Even non-gamers knew about it after all the rave of the first game.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Developers say stupid things about a forgetable game series, what's new?
Really? You REALLY believe people are just going to forget Halo? REALLY?

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Droids_Rule said:
I like the sound of this. For all of the hate directed towards it, I did enjoy Halo 3's gameplay well enough and I'm quite interested in what Bungie churns out next. I'd rather them not sit around and continue to make content for Halo 3, but give us a new game!
halo: reach is next

and if you look at spartans from halo and halo wars they look weird from halo wars...so lets just hope they keep the graphics as similar as possible (for humans)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Arcade_Fire said:
Wait what does that make Halo: Reach then?
The secret, half-sister of Halo 3:ODST who is actually Halo 3's biological twin midget who ends up having an affair with Halo 2's wife that ends up messing up the family tree with Halo:Reach all plotting the Murder of Halo 3 with Halo 3 having some tough ground with the original Halo and wants him out of the family while meanwhile ODST shoots Halo 3, mistakening him for Halo 2, when he walks in on him and Gears of War in bed?

Damn, that sounds scandalous!

Arcade_Fire

Mar 7, 2009
Jumplion said:
Arcade_Fire said:
Wait what does that make Halo: Reach then?
The secret, half-sister of Halo 3:ODST who is actually Halo 3's biological twin midget who ends up having an affair with Halo 2's wife that ends up messing up the family tree with Halo:Reach all plotting the Murder of Halo 3 with Halo 3 having some tough ground with the original Halo and wants him out of the family while meanwhile ODST shoots Halo 3, mistakening him for Halo 2, when he walks in on him and Gears of War in bed?

Damn, that sounds scandalous!
In summary, this whole "we're never ever going back to Halo ever" thing was just an enormous lie?

aight...

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Every other game is forgotten eventually, Halo is no exception.
That was so terribly emo, I think I should rant about it, but rather than that, I'll just leave this:

...and if you can't recognize this, you are a very troubled man, who possibly lives under a rock or within the basement of a religious convent.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
pha kin su pah said:
vivaldiscool said:
Booze Zombie said:
vivaldiscool said:
Of all the ways you can bash halo, that one just doesn't work. Bigger and better FPS games have come along, and it's still more popular than any of them.
I didn't even know Halo existed until 3 came out, that's why I find it a forgettable and lack-luster experience.
Well then you're hardly representative of the larger gaming community.
...or he is just trolling.

the Halo hate is getting old....
It was old since it began, really. A bit like the hate for Twilight.

Okay, some people like something. Get. Over. It.

On-topic, as much as I dislike the horrible truth, I believe that Bungie will make a Halo 4. Problem is how, after all, the plot ended with the Covenant and the Flood.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Shapsters said:
I would love it if they continued with the Halo universe, but made no more "Halo" games. Expand on the covenant, play as grunts, jackals, hunters even!
Actually, scratch what I said last.

I would love a Halo 3: Arbiter game. Seriously, he was the best character in the entire franchise.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Shapsters said:
I would love it if they continued with the Halo universe, but made no more "Halo" games. Expand on the covenant, play as grunts, jackals, hunters even!

I would love a Halo 3: Arbiter game. Seriously, he was the best character in the entire franchise.
The way I look at it, what is wrong with staying with a well developed idea but doing diffrent titles? Can you imagine playing a whole campaign as various covenant forces( grunts, jackals, HUNTERS?!) that would be freakin awesome!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Shapsters said:
Lord Krunk said:
Shapsters said:

The way I look at it, what is wrong with staying with a well developed idea but doing diffrent titles? Can you imagine playing a whole campaign as various covenant forces( grunts, jackals, HUNTERS?!) that would be freakin awesome!
I know. The fact is, the Covenant > Humans in every single way possible. I would be all over a game with them in the limelight, especially if you play as the Arbiter or Half-jaw.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Shapsters said:
Lord Krunk said:
Shapsters said:

I know. The fact is, the Covenant > Humans in every single way possible. I would be all over a game with them in the limelight, especially if you play as the Arbiter or Half-jaw.
I agree, the covenant are awesome. Guns are more colourful, the races are neat, Grunts are hilarious. Playing various campaign missions as the different forces really intrigues me. I wouldn't be surprised if they just stick with humans though :(

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Shapsters said:
I agree, the covenant are awesome. Guns are more colourful, the races are neat, Grunts are hilarious. Playing various campaign missions as the different forces really intrigues me. I wouldn't be surprised if they just stick with humans though :(
Neither would I. But still, if I want to see anything from Bungie in the next few years, it's that.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Sigenrecht said:
Booze Zombie said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Every other game is forgotten eventually, Halo is no exception.
That was so terribly emo, I think I should rant about it, but rather than that, I'll just leave this:

...and if you can't recognize this, you are a very troubled man, who possibly lives under a rock or within the basement of a religious convent.
*Lifts up rock,squints*Errrr tertis? *Goes back under rock*

GrouchyBigfoot

Jun 1, 2009
Maybe now they can create something actually creative instead on throwing a coat of paint on the same shitty game.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Uncompetative said:
Much as I adore Halo: Combat Evolved and can't seem to play any of my other games, because Halo 3 Multiplayer has such variety and depth, I doubt whether I will buy Halo: ODST. The weaker Halo 2 is being revisited. You are in a City (good), but you are being "told where to go" (bad). I would have much preferred a non-linear open-city with an active battle system (forces fighting each other across the streets in the manner of an RTS, some of it pre-scripted, other parts adapting to your presence... in the manner of GTA IV), but no, it looks like we are denied true innovation.
You need to pay more attention to the previews. The campaign game has two components; a non-linear open-city with an active battle system (albeit no friendly AI support shown as of yet, beyond the Superintendant's coaching) component where you explore the ruins of New Mombassa in order to discover what happened in the six hours your character was unconscious, and site-specific linear missions that play out much as the earlier Halo games did.

And the cognative dissonance between your complaining about lack of innovation and your pining for GTA: Halo makes me dizzy.

Oh, and the helmet the Shock Trooper's wear looks stupid.
I disagree, but that's more a matter of personal taste than of objective analysis.

-- Steve
I saw a preview today and edited my original post, then saw your comment. It does look like they are doing a freely-explorable city, even with shared waypoints that you can set so that your friends can converge on an area in CO-OP, I think that the pressure of the narrative, with its funky Proustian/Quantum Effect flashbacks is just a case of them trying far too hard. I have never approved of story governing and constraining games and would ideally prefer an RTS with first-person viewpoint (after all, this is what Halo was originally going to be on the Macintosh back before Microsoft got involved, perhaps Halo: Reach will have more of this scope, very little is known about it).

So, when I refer to GTA IV I am only saying that cities are possible technologically, not that I want GTA IV style gameplay (all GTA games are a missed opportunity for real generative, 'different every time you replay it', gameplay - but the narrative-mission scheme wins out as the average Joe likes pre-recorded cinematics).