Bungie: ODST Is Really The End of Halo 3

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Can this forum ever have a thread about Halo without it turning into a flamewar over Halo's supposed mediocrity?

That said, I think it's great that they've been supporting the game for as long as they have. Maybe they didn't make as much content as, say, Valve did for TF2, (nor were they free, at least not initially). But keeping a game alive with content 2 years after release is more than a lot of developers can say.

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
I wish Bungie would finish the halo project and make a "good" game,and graphics don't count!!!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Erana said:
Wait, what was ODST?
What have I been missing?!
It's the next Halo game that will be coming out. It's based on the events leading up to Halo 3 and you take the role of an ODST: Obrital Drop Shock Trooper (Those Marines in the flashy helmets).

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
ODST is actually looking pretty good. I always liked those guys. I loved that one mission (Delta Halo) in Halo 2 where you teamed up with them. Of all the AI partners you had, I think those were the only ones that could drive Scorpions. That alone makes them awesome, not to mention that I think their armor is cooler than Master Chief's.

Besides, they're battle-hardened marines rather than super soldiers.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
danskrobut said:
just to make it clear 2 words dynesty warriors
The difference between the two being Dynasty Warriors is on its 6th game and is still fun to play. Halo on the other hand... Meh.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
danskrobut said:
just to make it clear 2 words dynesty warriors
The difference between the two being Dynasty Warriors is on its 6th game and is still fun to play. Halo on the other hand... Meh.
Subjective opinion - don't claim it to be fact...

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Well obviously they're not making any more Halo 3 content because Halo Reach is out next year so they'll start making content for that instead.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Halo 1 is the best halo for me by far
Halo 2 i wondered why it wasn't fun

Halo 3 was okay but still didn't beat Halo 1

a wiseman once said "Halo is 95% Multiplayer and 5% a kickass soundtrack"

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Much as I adore Halo: Combat Evolved and can't seem to play any of my other games, because Halo 3 Multiplayer has such variety and depth, I doubt whether I will buy Halo: ODST. The weaker Halo 2 is being revisited. You are in a City (good), but you are being "told where to go" (bad). I would have much preferred a non-linear open-city with an active battle system (forces fighting each other across the streets in the manner of an RTS, some of it pre-scripted, other parts adapting to your presence... in the manner of GTA IV), but no, it looks like we are denied true innovation. Oh, and the helmet the Shock Trooper's wear looks stupid.

EDIT. I now have to retract much of what I just wrote the other day as I have now seen this video:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/25150/bigger

Which demos the open-city game, which has an "arena-style" multiplayer mode called firefight where you and your Xbox LIVE (or system link) friends battle an unending, semi-randomized, wave of Covenant dropships (Apparitions, I believe they are called). This appears to be in 3rd person, although the main campaign is in 1st person... although this may just be the way the action was captured (perhaps via a cinematic Theatre mode built-in to Halo: ODST). They comment in the video that it is like Gears of War Horde mode. Hopefully, it won't be 3rd person when you actually play it.

I'm still not overly keen on it. Your ODST doesn't have shields, but must pick up health packs. The visor makes everything look weird, and a bit like Metroid Prime. Given your relative weakness against Brutes, I don't really see how you can kill them so easily when they weren't a push-over for a Spartan like Master Chief. It is too late to change things now, but I would like them to consider downplaying the use of melee attacks, as I haven't seen evidence of Equipment the (X) button could do Melee, thus freeing up the Right Bumper to be 'Hold to Sprint' in the manner that is characteristic of Frontlines: Fuel of War - a game in which the gun is carried across the chest and cannot be fired whilst the character makes a limited sprint before fatigue gets the better of them.

This would help balance the game as I feel you would very likely walk into situations only to find yourself heavily outnumbered and too far from protective cover (at normal Halo movement pace). Sprinting would address this and give the game a "lighter" feel to Halo 1-3. One can dream...

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Damn, I hoped they would support Halo 3 like Halo 2 with a shit load of maps.

Hopefully they just import some of the old ones, those were great.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
As in, the same as Halo 3 was the end?

Yeah, I don't see that happening. There will be more.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Uncompetative said:
Much as I adore Halo: Combat Evolved and can't seem to play any of my other games, because Halo 3 Multiplayer has such variety and depth, I doubt whether I will buy Halo: ODST. The weaker Halo 2 is being revisited. You are in a City (good), but you are being "told where to go" (bad). I would have much preferred a non-linear open-city with an active battle system (forces fighting each other across the streets in the manner of an RTS, some of it pre-scripted, other parts adapting to your presence... in the manner of GTA IV), but no, it looks like we are denied true innovation.
You need to pay more attention to the previews. The campaign game has two components; a non-linear open-city with an active battle system (albeit no friendly AI support shown as of yet, beyond the Superintendant's coaching) component where you explore the ruins of New Mombassa in order to discover what happened in the six hours your character was unconscious, and site-specific linear missions that play out much as the earlier Halo games did.

And the cognative dissonance between your complaining about lack of innovation and your pining for GTA: Halo makes me dizzy.

Oh, and the helmet the Shock Trooper's wear looks stupid.
I disagree, but that's more a matter of personal taste than of objective analysis.

-- Steve

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
Eh, I have a feeling its the end of Halo 3, but not the end of the Halo series.