PSPNoGo

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
PSPNoGo

The PSP Go is a study in 1999 mentality applied to a 2009 market.

Read Full Article

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Danzorz said:
"
You can walk into the iTunes app store right now with $5.00 in your account and walk out with hundreds of free apps, Peggle and a handful of other pay games. With the PSP Go, $5.00 gets you a quarter of the way to one of the less expensive games, like Patapon 2. The flaw, my friends, is not with the system price, it's with the lack of an average price drop on the actual content.
"
Would be awesome if I HAD any iTunes stores or anything like that. If someone doesn't have them in town (or country...), PSP loses, apparently, one of the greatest advantages over other consoles.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
The PSP has always been utter shit, and the PSP Go is no different.
This.

PsP was poor, at best, and I hold onto my theory that Sony coughed it up to keep people busy while they postponed the completion and release of Ps3.

PsP 'go' Will be no different. Except the only reason for it this time is Ps3 isnt making enough money, and, y'know...they want money. Like everyone. :p

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
What happened to the old Sony? You know, the one that made the PS2? They need to sit down, pull their heads out their asses and find a way to fix the disasters that are the PS3 and PSP(or the PSP Go now)

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I'd just go with the other plan, and buy an old PSP. If I was into portable gaming.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I don't know how they can justify so much extra to buy the console in Europe. I have a PSP, and I love it. I mainly use it as a mp3 player, but it's also used to browse the web, and to watch tv via my PS3 when I'm away. I have yet to see a reason to upgrade to a Go.

h0m1cyde

Jun 2, 2009
I don't see this as an "upgrade" or anything else of that matter. This is an attempt to capitalize on the fact that people don't seem to have a problem throwing they're money away on novelty.

Anyone that has held out this long on a PSP doesn't want one and probably never will.

There is literally NO reason to upgrade if you have a 2000+ model. Reason being - games will be supported for both models, you can still DL your game with an older model.

It has bluetooth.....so what? It has a smaller screen, cheaper parts, NO UMD (i don't really care about that) but it does slide open.....maybe i will forgo my current model, my 30+ games that I won't be able to play (even if they will do some conversion, what games will be allowed, how long will it take, now i have to learn new software = NO) for a cheaper piece of plastic with a smaller screen for $80 more then the current so that I can slide it open.....
NO

Oh yeah, is it me or do the buttons seem smaller too?

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
The PSP is a fine device if you own a PS3 and actually use both in conjunction. Remote play is easily the best feature I've ever seen in a console/handheld.

If you just have a PSP for 'the games', then yeah, it's not that great. It's very much like the PS3. If you actually use all of what it can do, it's great.

h0m1cyde said:
Anyone that has held out this long on a PSP doesn't want one and probably never will.
I recently got a PSP due to the fact that I can download all future releases on the PSN. Part of a handheld is portability. UMD's make it less portable. So, this move interested me and got me to buy one.

One of my cousins is buying one as well because of this.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
Onmi said:
I agree, if you give people something give them an incentive to buy it, let them download 3 free games and make some Indie games cost like a dollar that are REALLY fun.

As for the original PSP being bad? no. Just no. It is neither a sales failure (50 million) or a library failure (Over 60 games that I want but thats just me) and it's a home brew WONDER.

MY problem with the Go is, does it still support backwards compatability. Why buy a Go if I can't play my Super Robot Wars games on it?
Hopefully they learned from their console shenanigans, that backwards compatibility is an important concept for a lot of consumers, and put it in.

As for the article, I completely agree about the pricing being the thing that is going to stop most people. I don't really like sony games, but this thing looks like it would be fun, but not fun enough for 250 bones, plus up to 40 more for games.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Even the PS2 was a bit of a design nightmare to start with. Blocky, bizarre power button/switch placement, notoriously fragile, and a headache to program for... but it had a significant head-start over the Xbox, and the Gamecube was off in la-la land as far as design and marketing were concerned. They were in the right place at the right time; and now they think they can continue to make the same shoddy design decisions and get away with it. They think their luck and timing is a result of their decisions - the PS2 was well-timed and well-marketed. Those factors are no longer in their favour. The result is stupidity like the PSP Go.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
You do understand that Indigo Dingo will be here flaming your ass, right?

But yes, I agree with you completely.

On a side note: I only keep my PS3 for playing PS2 games now, and that's rather sad.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
Oh shut up.

The PSP had a rough start, but in the meantime has a good amount of games out on it.
And there's a bunch of good games coming up, too.

Sony however, is being retarded. They've only just released a second revision, and they already announce a third.
I'd say I'm hoping that they will release all games for all regions (or at least let Europeans get US-only games), but knowing Sony, that won't happen.

At any rate, I'm sticking to my good ol' PSP-2000. BRB, playing some FFVII for old times sake

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
Even the PS2 was a bit of a design nightmare to start with. Blocky, bizarre power button/switch placement, notoriously fragile, and a headache to program for... but it had a significant head-start over the Xbox, and the Gamecube was off in la-la land as far as design and marketing were concerned. They were in the right place at the right time; and now they think they can continue to make the same shoddy design decisions and get away with it. They think their luck and timing is a result of their decisions - the PS2 was well-timed and well-marketed. Those factors are no longer in their favour. The result is stupidity like the PSP Go.
Nintendo and Sony have switched places in this current console generation. Nintendo thought that the popularity of the N64 would continue on with the GC, but the PS2 was better in pretty much every way except when it came to not breaking when you dropped it. Nintendo realised that they had been lazy and got to work. Sony needs to realise this, but it seems like they haven't, at least not yet.

The PSP is amazingly succesful, especially considering the last real competitor in the handheld market was the Gamegear. Staying in the market for more than a year, and staying competitive, at that, shows that Sony knows how to design a handheld. There were/are problems, but there always are. What they don't have a good grasp on is why people upgrade. Sony appears to be thinking that people will buy the lastest tech just because it is new, so they didn't really put a lot of effort into distinguishing the PSPGo from the PSP. The DS and DSi have one major difference: digital distribution. Sure, it can't play GBA games, but you can't be backwards compatable for everything. The PSPGo just offers more of what you already have if you own a PSP, so there is no real reason to buy a PSPGo if you don't feel the desire to have the absolute latest tech out there.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Onmi said:
Gerazzi said:
You do understand that Indigo Dingo will be here flaming your ass, right?

But yes, I agree with you completely.

On a side note: I only keep my PS3 for playing PS2 games now, and that's rather sad.
See and this is what acts as flame bait for Indigo. But just for humours sake let me respond by pointing out that -Seraph- is the PSP Fanboy beyond all belief and that HE is who will be here in any amount of time to flame your monkey asses.

And if your using your PS3 to only play PS2 games, well it sucks to be you then doesn't it. You must have very high standards for video games if you can't find one game in this current gen worth playing released this year. Or maybe you haven't been searching, or maybe you have been searching and found some that you thought you might like but.

And if I understand this correctly you can NOT return video games in america.

Didn't want to waste the money on it. For whatever reason it may be you are correct in that it is sad, as not only does it reflect on you the gamer, but the statement was so short how could we tell. The PS2 is still a console kicking ass in the market with new games, so are you playing new games for it or old classics? maybe your waiting for some new PS3 release games, maybe your waiting for some multi-console games, maybe your waiting until you can pirate games for the PS3 I simply do not know! So please expand on this point so that we may actually get a view into the psyche of Gerazzi.
super_smash_jesus said:
Hopefully they learned from their console shenanigans, that backwards compatibility is an important concept for a lot of consumers, and put it in.

As for the article, I completely agree about the pricing being the thing that is going to stop most people. I don't really like sony games, but this thing looks like it would be fun, but not fun enough for 250 bones, plus up to 40 more for games.
Actually polls show that BC is one of the least requested features (I Expect though that voice chat would take precedent) although I personally wonder why they don't just make a PS2 emulator, put it on PSN for $50 or so, and sell it there, they must have emulation software from the original run so it shouldn't cost anything, hell if you NEED to get the guys who did PCSX2 and mod the code, you don't even have to pay them because you can SUE there asses if they don't like it.

But anyway as I said my problem is the current PSP models? I can get games from america and japan that don't come out in Australia. I don't wanna buy them and be unable to play them on the Go for whatever reason. This includes future releases like Disgaea 2 on PSP.

On that note they ARE doing a 'Trade in your UMDs for the digital version" or something like that for people who want to upgrade but does that cover titles brought from overseas? *shrugs*
Jesus Christ you can type fast.
But to further my point I will say that I don't have the money to go out and buy the PS3 games that I'm drooling over right now, InFamous, Prototype, and of course Red Faction.
So that would be the main reason why I'm playing PS2 games on the PS3, other than I live in America and can't return the bloody thing.