PSPNoGo

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I would have only bought it if it had a Second Analog Stick, since it doesen't, No sale.
Thats just one simple convenience people don't seem to get.
Christ Sony, it's not that hard to listen to the fans..

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
My girlfriend bought a used PSP specifically for Finaly Fantasy7: Crisis Core. I cautioned her against it, but to no avail. She beat that game in a weekend. She went back and and it over with more side missions, took her nearly a week, but a lot less hours of actual play time.

Since then the PSP as languished in a drawer of her dresser. She's considered selling it a couple times but keeps it "just in case".

Her DS, conversely, gets daily play, sometimes for hours at a time even with a 360, PS3 and Wii all in the house. She'll sit in front of a 56" screen with all three systems hooked up and play Civilzation Revolution, Professor Layton, Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness and Nintendogs for hours and hours.

The point of this story? Sony has bigger problems than aesthetics and the used game market. They need to get on board with third party developers, they need to rethink pricing and support, and they desperately need to find some way to make their PSP more fun to play.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
I like my psp, I dont use it much at the moment, but its for travel and i dont travel much at the moment. Its pretty much the only show in town for somebody looking for a 360/PS3 experience on the move. The type of games on the ds dont generally appeal to me (Well, ok I would like pokemon for old times sake), and the PSP has a decent sized screen and video playback.

I think these facts have helped it reach the 50 million sold mark, and its only now sony have really woken up to it (Perhaps because other ventures have failed so far ?). They seem to be taking a 2 pronged approach, more games and the PSP Go. The first is a great idea (duh) as they have a big user base. The second seems dense, its a sidegrade at best, reduced size and bluetooth for a UMD Drive and larger display. The biggest problem is that 50 million have been sold, surely thats approaching market saturation ?

Id have my doubts about an app store, 1$ games tend to be throwaway, the PSP is more for core gamers who want to play frequently. The reason for the iPhones success is more down to the cult of apple and gadget fans that the appstore imo. I think however may sony Ericsson could make inroads with a psp/phone hybrid ? Maybe not, personally I dont like the iphone idea, I want my phone to have decent battery life, and using it as a console will reduce this.

Anyway, I have high hopes for the new games, they look brilliant and hopefully it will make people around the world blow the dust off there psps and use them again.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
The PSPGo just seems like a joke, it really does.

And it seems like if Sony is going the digital distribution route, then the games need to be cheaper. This makes sense, since there's nothing physical that has to be produced, dropping those costs out. If the downloadable games are cheaper than the physical games, more people would buy a Go. But if the costs of the game are the same, plus the Go costs more than a regular PSP? That just feels like I'm being ripped off.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I still won't buy one. I worked at a store that sold one at launch and in the two years there no one actually purchased one from us. I would pull it out and look at the demo disc and and I actually bought the Pulp Fiction UMD but I just watched the DVD version instead of "...teeny, weeny Eye-Strain-O vision" UMD because it kind a sucked. Maybe the PSP has gotten cool since then but the last time I played the PSP was at the first E for All. Two minutes later I got tired of fighting the controls and haven't touched one since. Sony has every right to make as many version of the PSP they want at any price they want and as a consumer I have every right to ignore every version and spend my money on real necessities like food and drugs during this global recession.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Onmi said:
Rigs83 said:
I still won't buy one. I worked at a store that sold one at launch and in the two years there no one actually purchased one from us. I would pull it out and look at the demo disc and and I actually bought the Pulp Fiction UMD but I just watched the DVD version instead of "...teeny, weeny Eye-Strain-O vision" UMD because it kind a sucked. Maybe the PSP has gotten cool since then but the last time I played the PSP was at the first E for All. Two minutes later I got tired of fighting the controls and haven't touched one since. Sony has every right to make as many version of the PSP they want at any price they want and as a consumer I have every right to ignore every version and spend my money on real necessities like food and drugs during this global recession.
Okay it's 3:30 am so I dunno if that was half irony/satire/done for humor or whatever or if it was all serious
Just my personal opinion on the whole PSP threads. I am to old to really be passionate about any of the consoles, I still feel sad that the Dreamcast died. I really can't justify to myself spending so much money on any of the consoles when I would rather spend my money having good times with friends. I am of legal drinking age and ever since games seem kind of frivolous unless they are awesome and I have heard of few awesome PSP games, great games but no killer app level game or games that stand up on their own to justify the purchase. My Xbox died, I won't purchase a 360 and someone stole my DS but I did not realize it for weeks because I hardly ever used it except when it got dull at work during the holidays, and I tried WOW but hated the grind and quit after five months. I tried to rekindle my passion for games by going to E for All but had most of my fun just getting lost in LA and seeing the Pacific Ocean for the first time at Venice Beach.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Don't own a PSP, but I do like them. There doesn't seem to be much of a reason to get a PSPGo though. You can get a Ds lite for under half that, and as soon as its released, the price on regular PSP's will go down so you might as well pick up one of those and save your money.

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
Saphatorael said:
Sony however, is being retarded. They've only just released a second revision, and they already announce a third.
Wrong. PSP GO would be the 4th revision (1000 Series, 2000 Series, 3000 Series and now the PSP GO)

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Danzorz said:
"
You can walk into the iTunes app store right now with $5.00 in your account and walk out with hundreds of free apps, Peggle and a handful of other pay games. With the PSP Go, $5.00 gets you a quarter of the way to one of the less expensive games, like Patapon 2. The flaw, my friends, is not with the system price, it's with the lack of an average price drop on the actual content.
"
THANK YOU!
For the love of god, anyone notice how 10 great games for 10 bucks beats one great game for 100 bucks?
Duhhhhhhhh.
Not to mention the arrogance in their marketing strategy, I agree they learned nothing.
Mostly i agree, I like Valve's 5 games for $50 approach, especially since they were kick arse games.

I don't like Sony at all, in fact I hope they don't survive long enough to finish their new PSP, but they got something mystifyingly right with the PS2, something everyone, but Sony, should pick up on and use.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Gerazzi said:
You do understand that Indigo Dingo will be here flaming your ass, right?
Well the other PS3 fanboy is here, don't leave him out.

GuNsLiNgEr X said:
The PSP has always been utter shit, and the PSP Go is no different.
Monster Hunter was a really good game, and from what little time I have had with a PSP (My friend owns one) I can say its hardly a failure as a hand-held.

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
i was wanting to get the new pspgo as my original pspphat is on life support the buttons arnt responsive the memory stick reader doesnt think i have a memory stick in it.

also as a handheld i think DLG are a good idea its annoying having to carry around 10 umds around

but then i found out the pricing £230 for a handheld is redic i thought sony would have learned from when they price dropped the ps2 ffs sony get your act together consumers want it so give us it! especially during this financial climate i can tell you this now sony: its you that needs us not us needing you.

psp lite is about £150

so a psp go should be, £150 - 170

so when it reaches that then al think about gettin it

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Sean Sands said:
... a roughly equivalent price to the iTouch and iPhone without the additional headache...
Just one small quibble; the iTouch isn't a name for the iPod Touch, though that's a common error. iTouch is licensed to another company.

Anyway, the scorched-earth retail policy paragraph hits this whole issue home. I guess that they're going for people who have no idea what the benefits of the opposing systems are, and just want to grab a last-minute gift for their kids.

I'm also sure that the Go has an advantage over Apple's products, given that Go is designed towards being a gaming platform (even if it lacks Apple apps).

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Why would people want a Go anyway? Does it have any upgrades on the PSP? Smaller screen, smaller buttons, no UMD drive... I'm not seeing why this is an upgrade?

I bought myself a 1000 about a month ago now, I love it. For £15 from Ebay, it's now:
My MP3 player
My portable movie player
My portable games device
My large external harddrive (A 16Gb memory stick cost me £20)
And with the money I've just been given by someone, it'll be a digital camera as well.

Now, I know I can't glorify or suggest piracy in this case, so I won't open pandora's box. It has a fantastic battery, even without the custom Korean ones. All I had to do was update to the latest firmware and I was away.

Ok, thinly veiled suggestions aside, I have to say that the PSP is the most flexible console I've had the pleasure of playing on. My DS hasn't even been opened since it arrived, so it must be doing something right.