Machine Learns How to Play Pitfall On Its Own

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Machine Learns How to Play Pitfall On Its Own

Humanity has taken another step toward making Skynet a reality, as researchers at Rutgers University have managed to design a robot that can play videogames - Pitfall, namely - on its own, and is even human enough to celebrate clearing a tricky level.

I've never beaten a single screen of Pitfall, which is a shameful fact in and of itself, but maybe even moreso now that I know that even a brainless, heartless, and, dammit, handless machine can do it.

Researchers at Rutgers University in New Jersey (which sucks, by the way, yeah, you heard me Funk) have managed to design an algorithm in machine learning that utilizes something called Object-Oriented Markov Decisions [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_decision_process#Reinforcement_Learning]. Nevermind the esoteric terminology - the researchers demonstrated their findings by having a computer beat the first screen of Pitfall.

As you can tell from the video, this isn't just a case of a machine being programmed to do the right things to get past the obstacles in the game. No, on its first run it tries to go down a ladder, finds that it doesn't work, and then realizes it needs to jump over a pit and a log in order to get across. It makes mistakes, does trial and error and then wins. To celebrate its victory, it seems to do a "happy dance" by jumping up and down at the end of the video.

In college I once had to write a program in Java that would teach itself how to find its way through a maze using trial and error of sorts, but this thing doesn't just know how to beat a videogame, it knows how to feel victory. God help us all. Read the Rutgers study here [http://paul.rutgers.edu/~cdiuk/papers/OORL.pdf].

[Via GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/06/machine_plays_pitfall_dances.php]]

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
I, for one, welcome our eventual machine overlords.
Likewise Wolf, hopefully they'll say "By your command" or something like that.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
skyNET nuked half a planet...that took 1 minute to jump a log. And I bet it cheated along the way...

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Robot apocalypse it is then. For a while there I thought we were facing a Fallout kinda scenario.

Well, maybe the nukes will still happen. : /

furnatic

Mar 28, 2009
We must destroy the Pitfall playing machine before it does us! Or teach it to play World of Warcraft! It'll be too busy farming to destroy us...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I'd be more impressed seeing it do something more complex than jumping over a log. Not saying that I don't think it could do it, just that the first screen of Pitfall is hardly anything notable.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I've never played Pitfall before, but that jumping sound effect ensures that I never will.

And I'm really not very impressed by this. A pathfinding algorithm looks like it could do the job better, and without the obnoxious high-pitched victory dance at the end.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Sparrow Tag said:
It can do a victory dance? Great, next it'll learn to teabag.
SkyNET is way too civilized to do something like that.

Imagine.
SkyNET playing an FPS.
Pah!
They won't be playing Terminator games then... :D

On topic, Kill it before it learns how to troll... it doesnt eat, it doesnt sleep! :O

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Sparrow Tag said:
It can do a victory dance? Great, next it'll learn to teabag.
SkyNET is way too civilized to do something like that.

Imagine.
SkyNET playing an FPS.
Pah!
i think SkyNET would make you a target in their "First Person Shooter"