Carmack Thinks Sony Will Go "Next-Gen" First

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Carmack Thinks Sony Will Go "Next-Gen" First

Legendary PC developer John Carmack thinks that Sony will be the first to release a new console whenever the next "next-generation" rolls around.

Speaking with CD Action [http://www.cdaction.pl/news-7673/john-carmack-opowiada-o-rage---pol-godziny-goracego-materialu-prosto-ze-studia-id-software.html], Carmack - technical director at id Software and gaming pioneer - said that he saw Sony as firing the next major salvo in the console war:

"The whole jockeying for who's going to release the first next gen console is very interesting and pretty divorced from the technical side of things," said Carmack. "Whether Sony wants to jump the gun to prevent the same sort of 360 lag from happening to them again seems likely."

Indeed, Sony's late launch of the PS3 against competitor Microsoft's Xbox 360 is seen as one of the reasons that the glossy black monolith struggled to gain a foothold at first. The PS3 came out of the gate with a relatively meager software lineup, and was pitted against a 360 that was entrenched with a year's worth of games and a year's worth of the market share. The PS3 has been playing catch-up ever since, and Sony's market share has dropped drastically against its competitors, especially given the dominance of its PS2 a generation before.

Carmack's prediction, though, seems to fly in the face of Sony's stated long-term strategy, which involves a ten-year-plan that sees the PS3 being supported through 2015 at the very least. Still, many analysts have predicted that this generation would be significantly longer than prior cycles - the main change from generation to generation has been graphical, and as games approach genuine photorealism, well... where do we go from where? Many see new developments such as Project Natal or Sony's own motion control as being the equivalent of a brand-new console generation.

On the one hand, it's easy to see where Carmack is coming from. Letting the 360 establish itself was a huge hurdle for the PS3 to overcome right out of the gate, and arguably one that it hasn't quite recovered from even yet. It's understandable that Sony's top brass would be wary of letting it happen again, of course.

On the other hand, I think they'd be just as wary of throwing their long-term plan for the PS3 into the proverbial wind, no? Not only would it give their competitors (and, let's face it, we journalists) nigh-endless ammunition for criticism, Sony has sunk millions-if-not-billions of dollars into the PS3, and they'd be unlikely to just write off the expenses and call it a day.

On Zaphod Beeblebrox's third hand, it all depends on how long the generation lasts, doesn't it? Sony is unlikely to release a surprise PS4 in 2011, but if we're approaching 2013 or 2014 - nearing the end of the ten-year-plan - without a proper next generation, I can see the company wanting to get a head start on its competitors with the PS4.

Of course, Carmack himself is in no hurry to get to the next next-generation. "As developers, we would really like to see this generation stretch as long as possible. We'd like to see it be quite a few more years before the next gen console comes out, but I suspect one will end up shipping something earlier rather than later," he said.

Beyond that, Carmack thinks that this may be the last generation that uses optical media (read: discs, whether DVD or Blu-Ray) and at least one of the next-generation consoles may well run entirely on digital distribution.

(Via Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/news/john-carmack-sony-likely-to-release-first-next-gen-console])

Robert632

May 11, 2009
ehhh, the next console isn't going to be called the PS4. it just doesn't have a ring to it.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
So... the last company to release a console (one that's supposed to last several years longer than standard console life) is going to be the first to release another one?

If that turns out to be true, I will finally have a concrete belief that Sony has no business sense anymore.

Although, if they did make a new console, let us hope that they design it so you can actually program things on it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well if God*cough*Carmack says so...

Psychosocial said:
Well, not to try and start something, but you could very much consider the PS3 a failure, when you compare it to the PS1 and PS2. So it would only make sense if Sony are the ones to try and rush to get their next console out first.
The fact remains that because Sony won the format war, the PS3 will not be a failure, and to me, that's just the way it is. They'll gain market share near the end of it, and I think they'll get ahead of the 360. Natal is make or break for Microsoft.

EDIT: Forgot to add to that. IMHO they will not create a new generation of consoles first. I personally feel Nintendo will, and that will be around 2011-12.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm just getting use to this generation. And already they're talking about the next one.
It's like settling into a hot bath. Getting use to the heat and finally being able to enjoy the hot water.

Leesee

Aug 9, 2009
The PS3 is way too expensive in my opinion. I believe that is one of the reasons that its kinda failing at this point. Not to mention the fact that they lost exclusiveness with the Final Fantasy series. Plus if Sony does come out with a new console whats gonna happen if it fails?
They have a tough act to follow with the 360 which the PS3 failed miserably at following so my question is how much different is the PS4 gonna be?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The Shade said:
So... the last company to release a console (one that's supposed to last several years longer than standard console life) is going to be the first to release another one?
Technically second to be released, the Wii was released 2 days after the PS3, but eh.

Psychosocial said:
Well, not to try and start something, but you could very much consider the PS3 a failure, when you compare it to the PS1 and PS2. So it would only make sense if Sony are the ones to try and rush to get their next console out first.
Compared to the PS1/PS2? Yes, of course, it's going to be a while before any console reaches 150 million, even with the Wii. In general though? No, I'd say the PS3 is at least a mildly successful machine for various reasons, one of them being what ChromeAlchemist said.

CantFaketheFunk said:
On Zaphod Beeblebrox's third hand, it all depends on how long the generation lasts, doesn't it? Sony is unlikely to release a surprise PS4 in 2011, but if we're approaching 2013 or 2014 - nearing the end of the ten-year-plan - without a proper next generation, I can see the company wanting to get a head start on its competitors with the PS4.
HA! Hitchhikers reference, one cookie for you!

CantFaketheFunk said:
Beyond that, Carmack thinks that this may be the last generation that uses optical media (read: discs, whether DVD or Blu-Ray) and at least one of the next-generation consoles may well run entirely on digital distribution.
I am highly against that and I feel that if it is going to happen it's not going to be for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGG time. Digital and Physical media can never overshadow the other, they can only compliment each other and a good balance of both would be a fine day in heaven.

Personally, I hope this generation stretches out as long as it can, too often it seems like we're too eager to jump into the next generation and never think about the current one. It's always "Oh, I wonder if Apple will join the next gen!" or "The PS3/360/Wii are weaker than PCs, they need to catch up!" as if somehow consoles were required to be as powerful as PCs. I want this generation to be optimized to the fullest and then we can move on to more powerful and different consoles.

Though I'm still a little worried, this generation doesn't have the sort of future-feel to it. Nobody really knows what's around the corner while every other generation we at least knew somewhat. It worries me.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Psychosocial said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

Psychosocial said:
The fact remains that because Sony won the format war, the PS3 will not be a failure, and to me, that's just the way it is. They'll gain market share near the end of it, and I think they'll get ahead of the 360. Natal is make or break for Microsoft.
I were speaking mostly about sales. They won BIG time on the sales front with both the PS1 and PS2, but this time they're in last place. I agree that Natal is a huge make or break for Microsoft, but it definetely seems as if they're not just fucking around with Natal.
They aren't. The problem is more the case of will this appeal for long enough to capitalise on the non-gamer market (which they admitted they will be doing), because the non-gamer market is volatile. Microsoft are certainly taking this seriously though, which is why I don't think it will fail.

As for sales, at the end of the day the PS3 came out a year late and it was far too similar to an already existing console on the market, the 360. When you look at it, this was almost in reverse last generation. To the average gamer, why should they care about buying another console when they have a 360 and an arse load of games to last them years to come?

Because it will soon become a cheap Blu Ray player, and that's where my belief that it will not be a failure in terms of sales comes in. IMHO if the PS2 couldn't play DVDs it wouldn't have gotten anywhere as many sales as it did. Blu Ray will come into prominence and the PS3 will regain lost sales in time. Yes, it didn't 'boom' from the get-go, like the other two did, but this is a different generation altogether, and this one is a slow burner.

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:

Psychosocial said:

EDIT: Forgot to add to that. IMHO they will not create a new generation of consoles first. I personally feel Nintendo will, and that will be around 2011-12.
Basically. You can almost see Nintendo's Wii loosing it's novelty. I have a feeling Nintendo will release a new console while the Wii is still popular just to keep the momentum going...If they're smart.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
MK Tha Rebel said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

Psychosocial said:

Basically. You can almost see Nintendo's Wii loosing it's novelty. I have a feeling Nintendo will release a new console while the Wii is still popular just to keep the momentum going...If they're smart.
No don't misunderstand me. I don't think Nintendo are losing their 'novelty'. Nintendo set the trend for what will no doubt be a movement towards a completely different optional play style. Motion control has given developers choices from new concepts and ideas, it's not a novelty in itself, Nintendo gambled the success of their console on something not exactly new, but definitely untested in the sense of motion control being at the helm.

I think Nintendo will bring it first because they will want to now adhere to some of the things that they didn't need to before, namely a more powerful console. This is not because the fans want it, but because it would be better for business, multiplatform titles would be much more of a possibility in terms of porting, perhaps with added content specific to their console.

breadlord said:
Isn't the PS3 already next-gen?
I see what you did there. At least, I hope you did something for me to see.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Indeed, Sony's late launch of the PS3 against competitor Microsoft's Xbox 360 is seen as one of the reasons that the glossy black monolith struggled to gain a foothold at first.
Really! And here I thought it had something to do with their system COSTING TOO DAMN MUCH, but what do I know?

It's become perfectly clear Sony will let themselves be dragged to hell and back before they admit they overshot the market's price threshold. Wii started the same time with an underpowered system, so their argument falls on its face at the first hurdle.

However, when Sony lowered their price to arguably closer to 360 and had a run of strong games, things were looking up. But when Microsoft countered with a big price cut to restore the margin, PS3 fell behind again and stayed there because Sony won't cut the price again.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Yes, it didn't 'boom' from the get-go, like the other two did, but this is a different generation altogether, and this one is a slow burner.
You know, I decided to test this. Personally, if I remember correctly, the PS3 was selling at around the same rate as the PS2 did in its first couple of years.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=PS&reg3=All&weeks=156

I think we should take PS1 out of the equation since back then you could sell much less than right now and still be successful. But as you can see, the PS3 and PS2 lines are actually quite similar in the first couple of weeks. Then we get a big spike in the PS2, that was probably when the competition dropped out or something, but I would hardly call either of them "starting with a boom" as most people suggest.

Just something I've noticed, not trying to be a smart ass here or anything.

EDIT: And lets look at the PS2's life so far;

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=PS&reg3=All&weeks=400

The PS3 still has a ways to go before it's canceled, that much we all know. But I find an interesting pattern with the PS2, every couple of weeks there's a bump in the line so it's like stairs or something. Just an interesting pattern, the PS3 has something similar albeit not as high as the Ps2.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
robert632 said:
ehhh, the next console isn't going to be called the PS4. it just doesn't have a ring to it.
Well, as long as it's got a better name than Go! we should be fine.

I personally hope that this generation lasts a good while longer yet. I'd like to get at least a few more years out of my consoles.

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
MK Tha Rebel said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

Psychosocial said:

No don't misunderstand me. I don't think Nintendo are losing their 'novelty'. Nintendo set the trend for what will no doubt be a movement towards a completely different optional play style. Motion control has given developers choices from new concepts and ideas, it's not a novelty in itself, Nintendo gambled the success of their console on something not exactly new, but definitely untested in the sense of motion control being at the helm.
I never said YOU thought that. I said that the Wii's appeal is slipping, and people can see that. I didn't mean "YOU" personally.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
MK Tha Rebel said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
MK Tha Rebel said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

Psychosocial said:

I never said YOU thought that. I said that the Wii's appeal is slipping, and people can see that. I didn't mean "YOU" personally.
Well in that case I apologise, but I still disagree.

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Because it will soon become a cheap Blu Ray player, and that's where my belief that it will not be a failure in terms of sales comes in. IMHO if the PS2 couldn't play DVDs it wouldn't have gotten anywhere as many sales as it did. Blu Ray will come into prominence and the PS3 will regain lost sales in time. Yes, it didn't 'boom' from the get-go, like the other two did, but this is a different generation altogether, and this one is a slow burner.
Ugh...putting aside the fact that blu-ray players themselves are almost HALF the price of a ps3...what makes you think people are gonna jump on the Blu-Ray hype?

Consider the population out there that watches pirated movies recorded on shaky camcorders...