Russian Priest Pitches Idea for a Religious MMOG

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Russian Priest Pitches Idea for a Religious MMOG

The Russian Orthodox Church has received what is probably the first and only pitch for a videogame it will ever get in the form of a design document whipped up by a priest with an idea for a religious MMOG.

You can't say that World of Warcraft doesn't have religion in it. Those who would say the act of playing the game has spiritual dimensions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89069-World-of-Warcraft-A-Religion] aside, you've got Paladins who worship the Holy Light, Druids who worship nature, Mages who are into the arcane, not to mention your Priests, who are just straight up spiritual by definition. But imagine a game where religion isn't just some lore background that explains the history of your class, but an actual theme that an MMOG revolves around.

That's what the idea behind the game one Father Maxim of the Russian Orthodox Church has pitched. The priest apparently submitted a design document to a Moscow branch of the church hoping to get them interested in backing the project, which will be an MMOG in which you're rewarded for doing good deeds but "suffer hardships" for going against the faith. Progress in the game, apparently, is measured by how well you can obey the Ten Commandments.

"Young people spend their time in a virtual world, and it'll be better if they spiritually develop instead of 'shooting and killing," Father Maxim said.

And like any role-playing game, there are player classes. Male characters can choose to become seminarians, priests or bishops, while female characters can be sisters of mercy, nuns, and even rank up to become mother superiors. Apparently you can also choose to go either the secular path or live within the church.

Sounds like a real grind, but hey, that's an MMOG for you.

[Via GameCulture [http://www.gameculture.com/node/1531]]

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
That's the problem with "religious" games. They see the world ONE way and the only way to succeed in their game is to follow their ONE way. It's inherently flawed.

But this one says you can walk a secular path, so maybe they might have a good approach to this one.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
It...sounds interesting to say the least. Will it be successful? Probably not.

...Also, I find it funny that a guy wanting to make a religious MMOG is named Maxim.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, I don't suppose it could be worse that WoW.

Also could be pretty funny to see what a couple of 4channers would do if they got on the game.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Hmmm... I was hoping it would have other religions in it too, instead of being an overly biased Christian game... And have all the different religions fighting eachother...

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Awsome, I want to be a level 60 cardinal. I have the power to bless holy water, preside over a marriage, vote in the Vatican council and I have the saving roll cover up church sex scandals.

.....In all reality, this sounds kinda strange, but hey it could work. The concept its self sounds interesting, but it would be cool to include other religions, after all Buddists have a +2 mana regeneration rate.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
I actually think this could work. Not many people would buy it and it would get bumrushed by people like 4chan (if they can organise themselves anymore) but hell It sounds not bad for a religious game I guess.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's not the first time that Russian Priests have been involved though

For some reason this makes me think of that preist in World War Z

Sorry for the double post

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I guess it's good for kids who's very religous parents don't let him play games.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Mezzamine said:
Well, if you get to play as the guy in the picture, I'm sold.
That's a Paladin art picture from Warcraft, wearing the Alliance level 60 Plate PvP set no less so...yeah. You might not be able to look that badass in game but you can get pretty close.

Frankly? This sounds like it's going to crash and burn. Badly.

"Young people spend their time in a virtual world, and it'll be better if they spiritually develop instead of 'shooting and killing,"
Doing good deeds in a game help you spiritually develop? That's...well I find that odd personally. Personally I thought being educated in philosophy and looking at the world I lived in helped me spiritually develop, but hey, what do I know?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
To be fair, it's not a terrible idea, and hey it might get people interested in religion. However, there are hundreds of religions in the world, so I'm sure that someone's going to call offense to the idea.

Also, the Rabbi class will be overpowered.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
IxionIndustries said:
Hmmm... I was hoping it would have other religions in it too, instead of being an overly biased Christian game... And have all the different religions fighting eachother...
We already do, most people call that real life.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's not the first time that Russian Priests have been involved though
Right, but he partakes in the "shooting and killing," which apparently means Father Grigori would have a helluva time trying to create a powerful avatar.