Sony 'Looking Into' PS3 Firmware 3.00 Issues

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sony 'Looking Into' PS3 Firmware 3.00 Issues

Since the release of the PlayStation 3's firmware 3.00 update, the 'net has been ablaze with reports of games and controllers failing to function properly. Sony, meanwhile, is "looking into" the issue.

An update from Sony, white DualShock 3 controllers refuse to function [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/09/update-on-ps3-firmware-3-00/] since installing the update.

SCEA is aware of reports that PS3 owners are experiencing isolated issues with their PS3 system since installing the most recent system software update (v3.00). Rest assured that we are looking into the matter and will provide an update here as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience, as it's our mission to deliver the best consumer experience on all PlayStation platforms.

Though this is certainly the kind of non-comittal response one would expect from a major corporation faced with such an issue -- even the most basic business classes teach a mantra of never admitting fault, unless you have no other options -- it brings little solace to gamers whose games are now inexplicably crashing.

The best we can hope for is a quick firmware update from Sony. If this turns into a class action lawsuit, any possible resolution would take months if not years.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Another nail in the coffin for those guys.

I've never owned a Sony console, and am primarily a PC gamer although I own a 360 as well. I can appreciate that whilst I didn't have an interest in it at all, that the PS2 was a major hit, and yet they get this so wrong. It seems ridiculous.

Cue PS3 fanboys ram-raiding down my throat but there you go.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Woodsey said:

I've never owned a Sony console, and am primarily a PC gamer although I own a 360 as well. I can appreciate that whilst I didn't have an interest in it at all, that the PS2 was a major hit, and yet they get this so wrong. It seems ridiculous.

right cause the 360 has such a great quality track record of not crashing and failing .... oh wait my bad. you really shouldn't really throw stones when you live in a glass house

i haven't had an issue with the new firmware, it's worked like a charm for me. if uncharted isn't working properly, i'm glad i finished it for the second time just before the upgrade

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Well, you get what you pay for, chaps.

Now stop whining about your awful console, Ps3 owners, and just get a PC or an xbox...

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I don't see why this became a bash-fest I haven't had a single problem with my PS3, I certainly cannot say the same for my 360...

Then again that was a completely useless response from Sony, although it's better than Sony's usual company response of "fuck you all".

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Fangface74 said:
Ashbax said:
Well, you get what you pay for, chaps. Xbox all the way.
I'm not entirely sure we 360 owners can use 'reliability' as a whipping post...
Well the XBox system software/XBL architecture IS quite reliable...

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
harhol said:
I wonder if the awful new friends list counts as an issue...

I'd happily endure hourly crashes if I didn't have to look at those grey boxes any more.
I actually quite like it personally.

I havent had any problems with the update just good things to say about it really.

Its easier to see if you have messages and friends requests in game without having to go all the way to the message box then into it the message box.

And the BBC Iplayer is brilliant as I can watch TV and the like that I missed with out my parents deleting it on Sky Plus or something.

Also ... Sparrrrkkkklllleeeeyyyy

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
Well i have had no problems so far although i think the OS is a fraction of a second slower when it comes to scrolling the XMB.

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
Torque669 said:
harhol said:
I wonder if the awful new friends list counts as an issue...

I'd happily endure hourly crashes if I didn't have to look at those grey boxes any more.
Also ... Sparrrrkkkklllleeeeyyyy
Oh god, i switched to the original the moment the update was done.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
IdealistCommi said:
I havn't had any problems yet. Lucky me....
Ditto. I've had 100% success so far. As far as I know my Slim is entirely up to date too.

Ashbax said:
Well, you get what you pay for, chaps.

Now stop whining about your awful console, Ps3 owners, and just get a PC or an xbox...
I'm sure that even ratio wise the amount of people complaining about PS3's is far smaller than either 360's or PC's.

But your statement seemed kind of fanboyish so my point might be lost.

The PS3 is hardly a dream system, but short of this firmware post I've never had to deal with sending on in repair at either my business or amongst friends.

However I'm the only one in my network of friends who hasn't experienced a RROD on their 360 :p. Course I got mine after the processors changed so maybe they've fixed the issue...or maybe I just take better care of my machine. Who knows.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Woodsey said:

AGGGGHHHH! Flamesheild!

I dont like the new freinds list. It looks ugly and boxy.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Fangface74 said:
Ashbax said:
Also, you pay less... So surely you get less?

According to that guy of course.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Fangface74 said:
Ashbax said:
*coughcoughE74Errorscoughcough*

unless those were hardware related or something, but still, you have to admit Fangface has a point

I have yet to encounter any problems with firmware 3.00, though there seems to be all these claims every time an update is around. If Sony finds whatever problems these guys are apparently having, well then good for them.

Though I find it hilarious how we already within the first 10 posts have "LOLOLOlz PS3 TEH UNRELIABLZ!@#", and colossally ironic considering the console they're rooting for :S

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Okay... Whats up with all these 'news posts' on escapist slamming the PS3 recently? Mentioning class action lawsuits over something as trivial as game/console/system crashes? Doing the corporate rundown? Seems like news bias to me.

Or a slow news week.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
Woodsey said:

right cause the 360 has such a great quality track record of not crashing and failing .... oh wait my bad. you really shouldn't really throw stones when you live in a glass house

i haven't had an issue with the new firmware, it's worked like a charm for me. if uncharted isn't working properly, i'm glad i finished it for the second time just before the upgrade
Haha, see what I mean?

I'm not going to get into an argument about it, but if you read with your eyes, you may notice that all I said was that I own a 360. I never said it was better, that MS kicks Sony's arse or that I'd like to suck Bill Gates dick now did I?

My final comment was made because I knew (as it has) that someone would get up the arse and mention the 360 when all I did was acknowledge that I own one. I'm well aware of the stupidly high 360 failure rate, but I was also commenting on the general way Sony have treated the PS3.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
AceDiamond said:
Fangface74 said:
Ashbax said:
Agreed, when the New Xbox Experience went off, I can't recall massive failures on the level Sony is experiencing. Just the usual RRODs from all the pre-08/09 production runs. I suspect RROD is mostly fixed now, based on the sharp decline in reports.