Sony 'Looking Into' PS3 Firmware 3.00 Issues

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Wow what a little console bashing we have here. The PS3 still kicks major ass

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Well, I don't have friends on the playstation, so that part doesn't bug me, but I also haven't had any hardware issues since the update. I think it's exactly as they said, isolated.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
what's an SAT and how does it make you smart?
It's a standardized test used for college applications. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT] Of course, I can still mess stuff up (I'm only human) but I've looked at it several times, and I cannot interpret the way you did. Besides:

Woodsey said:
Alright I thought it was clear what I meant, but obviously not.

I never said the PS3 was a worse console or the 360 was a better console; I really couldn't give a shit because it's down to what games the individual wants to play. I only stated the point that Sony seem to be getting the PS3 so wrong in terms of marketing, etc. When the PS2 was an outstanding success and viewed as one of the greatest consoles of all time.
This would indicate that you were wrong.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
scotth266 said:
cleverlymadeup said:
what's an SAT and how does it make you smart?
It's a standardized test used for college applications. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT] Of course, I can still mess stuff up (I'm only human) but I've looked at it several times, and I cannot interpret the way you did. Besides:

Woodsey said:
Alright I thought it was clear what I meant, but obviously not.

I never said the PS3 was a worse console or the 360 was a better console; I really couldn't give a shit because it's down to what games the individual wants to play. I only stated the point that Sony seem to be getting the PS3 so wrong in terms of marketing, etc. When the PS2 was an outstanding success and viewed as one of the greatest consoles of all time.
This would indicate that you were wrong.
What was I wrong about?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
scotth266 said:
Woodsey said:
What was I wrong about?
Not you, the other guy. He thought you were a troll, and I was defending you.
Oh right, you didn't quote him so I thought you were speaking to me.

Thanks in that case.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
You DO happen to realize the security line is bullshit? There is NO SUCH THING as impenetrable security to hackers and crackers. From what you are saying, if you happened to ifnd a linux compatible game to play, you couldn't save it as it would create a new save file. but if it does create a new save file, then that also spells there is a way for a virus to pop into your system through simply foolish downloads. So unless linux stops the writing of EVERY non-OS function, there is still PLENTY of ways to get viruses onto a linux. Linux only owns what? 4% of the market? What person is going to take the time to program a virus, malware, etc for linux, when he/she could simply go to PC, who is being bombarded by hackers and crackers because PC owns nearly a monopoly on the home computer market, and infect more people on PC and in turn, get a much better turnout for their work?
ok first off there are TONS of linux games, here's a nice list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_games

when it creates a save file it writes the save file to ~/. or something similar, meaning it writes it to your own personal directory that only YOU have write access to. so a virus at that point can spread to your directory, it can't be written to any other directory because it's running under your user name not not with elevated privileges, if it tries to write to the actual binary of the game it fails cause of permission denied

this is what happens with any binary file you try to write to in any *nix box. a user can't write to anything beyond his own directory

also i know there's nothing that is impregnable, however the *nix family has a great track record for both security and fixing security holes. OpenBSD alone is considered the most secure out of the box os in the world. when Redhat went to do the government testing for linux, they ended up getting a ranking above windows, without any hardening, after hardening they got several levels above that

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
You DO happen to realize the security line is bullshit? There is NO SUCH THING as impenetrable security to hackers and crackers. From what you are saying, if you happened to ifnd a linux compatible game to play, you couldn't save it as it would create a new save file. but if it does create a new save file, then that also spells there is a way for a virus to pop into your system through simply foolish downloads. So unless linux stops the writing of EVERY non-OS function, there is still PLENTY of ways to get viruses onto a linux. Linux only owns what? 4% of the market? What person is going to take the time to program a virus, malware, etc for linux, when he/she could simply go to PC, who is being bombarded by hackers and crackers because PC owns nearly a monopoly on the home computer market, and infect more people on PC and in turn, get a much better turnout for their work?
And if hackers hack for money, 90% vs 4%....
And 90% of the 4% of linux users, know what they are doing, where as 99% of the 90% of windows users don't know jack.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
From that wiki list, theres roughly 100 games that work directly on linux with out having to use emulation software.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/list_x.html

That list of games for the PC (Which all work on windows XP)
Is nearly equal in size as the list of games for linux.
And thats just games that start with X.

If Linux wants to over-come windows, they need to market. They need developers who are going to create commercial products that Only work on Linux. Much like first-party 360/ps3 games only work on 360/ps3. Those drive sales, sales = market share.

Why is windows so popular and has such a huge market share even though its nearly $300 and linux is free?
Cause developers develop on it. Its a known platform, people know windows. Linux maybe easy for people who know linux, but its hard for people who only know windows. But, Linux also isn't a very 'casual' user OS. It requires more knowledge of the OS than windows does. The fact that a novice in Windows can totally fuck up a pc in less then 5 minutes shows just how 'open' it really is. Users do not like being slowed down/hampered by 300 commands to do something that takes one.
And thats exactly what vista and linux have in common. It maybe different terminology, and vista maybe less secure then linux because of the way it works, doesn't make the point any less invalid. Users don't like having to do something in 30 clicks when it can take 1. I believe theres an OS called Winux. Or something, its basically linux but the user works from the root directory instead of under it. (Aka has direct admin access) giving the user just as many vulnerability issues as windows.

Oh, and internet explorer isn't useless without active-x. Theres plenty of websites you can visit that don't use it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
2 problems with what you just said.
1. An ACTUAL STUDY (Not random survey that asks only 1-2 meaningless questions and claims that as a correct fact) showed that the current intake of RRoD victims has gone down to 16%. They pointed out that the falcon models were still stocked by, and sold by retailers who refused to throw the faulty product away and would rather sell it alongside the newer, far more reliable jasper models. This company is going by rate of intake of warranty claims (People wanting the 360 fixed) meaning it's current, NOT asking a person who happened to own a Xbox360 first line model back in 2003 and had it RRoD in 2004 about if his console failed and then claim that's a current statistic.
If I recall correctly, that was only out of 500 consoles. Even if you doubt the GameInformer statistics, 5000 is still bigger than 500. I admitted that there were doubts to GI's survey, but I'd rather see a much more controlled finding on a bigger scale. 500 consoles is nothing, if they can get, I dunno, 10,000 then we can talk.

2. Console online networking works just like any other product, it works on comparison shopping. XboxLive is a seperate product in itself, as the system does not technically come pre connected to the interwebz (you can run the PS3 it's whole life without using that free toss in product called PSN) So, seeing as XBL costs money, in turn we compare that price to the FREE thrown in deal of PSN when making the comparison. See how that works now? We are talking about the INTERNET SERVICE which is a SEPERATE product from the PS3, and add in, if you will.
A free "add in" that works perfectly fine, and easily comparable to LIVE if I do say so personally. Besides, I'm not talking nor did I ever talk about LIVE vs. PSN, I was talking about the entire saying as a whole. You completely ignore what I'm saying when I say "This makes the PS3 the 'best' console by default" which you personally don't think so apparantly.

Since you will probally claim logic error or 403 forbidden or some nonsense, let me give you an example. I bought a webcam recently, it came with a free headset, My friend goes "Well it comes with a free headset, so you don't need to bother buying one" well, me being smart, I bought a new 20 dollar logitech headset anyways. I get home, I open said webcam, and guess what? That FREE ADD IN? It was a piece of junk. So what did I get? C'mon boys and girls! Say it with me now! "You got what you paid for" YAAAAAY *Claps*
Okay, yeesh, you are acting unnecessarily pompous and antagonizing. I never said that "you get what you pay for" was completely wrong or that there were no exceptions to that rule. But as I've said a bunch of times before, saying "you get what you pay for" automatically makes the PS3 the "best" console out there, and it's *shocker* not. Electric cars? Bah, pretty much a scam, they barely give you any real mileage advantage, and yet you pay probably double for them. Blu-Ray players? Pshaw, people complain about how expensive they are and how there's "apparently" no difference between it and regular DVDs or that they don't give enough advantages. What about, I dunno, one of those "professional" keyboards? I hardly use my PC for gaming, so the increased cost of a "pro" keyboard is negligible compared to my standard one.

Different situations bring out different prices. If I will hardly get any use out of it, the price isn't worth it. If it is, then voila, it is worth it. Doesn't make "you get what you pay for" any less true or false, just that there's a huge hole when people claim that argument with consoles and just about any electronic.

I am hardly taking this debate as seriously as you think I am. There is no need to go around, acting like you're the "winnar!", and tossing some insults when I've hardly insulted you back. I could care less about who is more superior or whatever, so just drop the pompous attitude and if you want to continue this debate, PM me and I'll gladly continue it.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Jumplion said:
To quote my grandpappy "I'm a demeaning asshole, but ya know what? People in reality won't pull punches, so learn to take em or quit life while yer are ahead" (Not really my grand pappy, actually my buddy, but grandpappy made it osund more important :p)

(lol quote fail)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
Jumplion said:
To quote my grandpappy "I'm a demeaning asshole, but ya know what? People in reality won't pull punches, so learn to take em or quit life while yer are ahead" (Not really my grand pappy, actually my buddy, but grandpappy made it osund more important :p)

(lol quote fail)
Umm.....okay? Thanks for that, whatever it was?

CptCamoPants

Jan 3, 2009
Xbox 360: for 1-3 years (depending on warranty, we got a free 3 year warranty) "MY XBOX DIED" *2 weeks later* HERE FREE XBOX

Playstation 3: (unless you paid for a warranty "MY PS3 DIED!" 5 minutes later "fuck you"

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
I've not had any crashing or controller issues, but I've been having major lag issues when accessing USB drives, or disc based content, or I press triangle in ANY menu. Then again, playing Skate in Super SlowMo was mildly entertaining... Just not something I want to do regularly.

cjackson92

Mar 6, 2009
I love my PS3 best console I ever bought. Firmware 3.0 sucks though, it was an epic fail. Should have at least given me the option to keep my system on pre-patch aesthetics.

Xbowhyena

Jan 26, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
Woodsey said:
Another nail in the coffin for those guys.

I've never owned a Sony console, and am primarily a PC gamer although I own a 360 as well. I can appreciate that whilst I didn't have an interest in it at all, that the PS2 was a major hit, and yet they get this so wrong. It seems ridiculous.

Cue PS3 fanboys ram-raiding down my throat but there you go.
right cause the 360 has such a great quality track record of not crashing and failing .... oh wait my bad. you really shouldn't really throw stones when you live in a glass house

i haven't had an issue with the new firmware, it's worked like a charm for me. if uncharted isn't working properly, i'm glad i finished it for the second time just before the upgrade
Actually in every single way the 360 has been DECREASING in failure rates, and the new firmware update that came out recently for it had very few glitches if any. Know your facts before you talk next time.

Xbowhyena

Jan 26, 2009
SinisterDeath said:
From that wiki list, theres roughly 100 games that work directly on linux with out having to use emulation software.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/list_x.html

That list of games for the PC (Which all work on windows XP)
Is nearly equal in size as the list of games for linux.
And thats just games that start with X.

If Linux wants to over-come windows, they need to market. They need developers who are going to create commercial products that Only work on Linux. Much like first-party 360/ps3 games only work on 360/ps3. Those drive sales, sales = market share.

Why is windows so popular and has such a huge market share even though its nearly $300 and linux is free?
Cause developers develop on it. Its a known platform, people know windows. Linux maybe easy for people who know linux, but its hard for people who only know windows. But, Linux also isn't a very 'casual' user OS. It requires more knowledge of the OS than windows does. The fact that a novice in Windows can totally fuck up a pc in less then 5 minutes shows just how 'open' it really is. Users do not like being slowed down/hampered by 300 commands to do something that takes one.
And thats exactly what vista and linux have in common. It maybe different terminology, and vista maybe less secure then linux because of the way it works, doesn't make the point any less invalid. Users don't like having to do something in 30 clicks when it can take 1. I believe theres an OS called Winux. Or something, its basically linux but the user works from the root directory instead of under it. (Aka has direct admin access) giving the user just as many vulnerability issues as windows.

Oh, and internet explorer isn't useless without active-x. Theres plenty of websites you can visit that don't use it.
/thread

finally someone who knows what they're talking about.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
The Wii and PS3 are having Firmware issues and yet the 360 is going just fine (sans RROD). Is there a rip in the universe somewhere?