Sony 'Looking Into' PS3 Firmware 3.00 Issues

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
scotth266 said:
In your leap to defend the PS3, you seem to have missed that he didn't actually say any of that.
to imply something you don't have to say it outright and frankly that's the whole point of implying something

Oh, and PCs only have a lot of security holes if you do silly things like download mystery programs and visit strange websites. Otherwise, it's fairly impregnable. Sure, there are ways to crack security, but you still have to consider that PCs are a lot more interesting to hackers, considering the amounts of sensitive info people store on them these days.
actually no you don't, all you need to do is visit any website that uses activex. it has known issues where it will ignore the "do not install software flags" and run in silent install mode without you even knowing what is going on.

also PC are more attractive cause they are that much easier. os's like OSX and linux just don't have the security holes that Windows has nor will they. you can't have drive by installs of software on linux unless you're idiotic enough to run as root all the time

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
to imply something you don't have to say it outright and frankly that's the whole point of implying something
But he wasn't implying anything. He was just stating that he didn't own a PS3: he had a PC and 360 instead.

actually no you don't, all you need to do is visit any website that uses activex. it has known issues where it will ignore the "do not install software flags" and run in silent install mode without you even knowing what is going on.

also PC are more attractive cause they are that much easier. os's like OSX and linux just don't have the security holes that Windows has nor will they. you can't have drive by installs of software on linux unless you're idiotic enough to run as root all the time
The actual reason for there not being as many holes in those operating systems is that not many people are trying to find them. Since the number of people with those two operating systems is minimal compared to those who have Windows, hackers focus on making Windows viruses. It's the curse of popularity.

And once again, all you need to do is avoid sites you don't trust. Simple as that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
yes because lord knows when an article stating (Through a poorly done survey) that xbox 360 is at 54.2% failure rate (the survey is poorly done because they failed to ask if the person owned a falcon model, or jasper model console, so it's like me going and asking the people who play on PSN how reliable PSN has been without asking if their issue was with firmware 3.00 or if there happened to be an error when it claimed to be working) PS3 fanboys don't line up comments posting "LUL UR CONSUL EPAC PHAILZ LULUL (ICANHAZCHEEZEBURGER TALK INSERTED HERE)" or "XBOX360 SUX!"

But now you guys experience failures in one of PS3s biggest selling points (It's free online capabilities) and it's suddenly "OMG TEH FANBOYZ! THEY IZ ATTAKING UZ!"
Uhh............wat? I have no idea what you just said.

From what I can barely deduce from your post, you're thinking that I'm being a fanboy and going everywhere saying "LOLZORZ, TEH 360 SUXZORZ!@#!" when in fact I made no such comment. Are there Ps3 fanboys who go crazy like this? Of course, where the hell did you get the notion of me ever denying that? You're just drawing broad conclusions out of absolutely nothing. I was merely pointing out the hilarious irony of;

Ashbax said:
Well, you get what you pay for, chaps.

Now stop whining about your awful console, Ps3 owners, and just get a PC or an xbox...
Woodsey said:
Another nail in the coffin for those guys.

I've never owned a Sony console, and am primarily a PC gamer although I own a 360 as well. I can appreciate that whilst I didn't have an interest in it at all, that the PS2 was a major hit, and yet they get this so wrong. It seems ridiculous.

Cue PS3 fanboys ram-raiding down my throat but there you go.
from this minor inconvenience barely affecting any PS3 owners (that we know of) and countering it with an already unreliable console (and don't say I'm a fanboy from that, the more "accepted" 30% is still atrocious).

And if we get what we pay for, wouldn't that mean that the Ps3 is automatically the "best" console out there? I just absolutely hate that logic, price does not mean anything in the quality of a product, all it means is that it's priced higher, and people inherently want cheaper things already! But that's a personal gripe not related to much of this anyway.

Jake Lockley

Apr 23, 2008
Class action lawsuit? Widescale problems? Like anyone here or on any forum has numbers to back up that this isn't just a dozen people with valid problems that Sony posted a blog post to pacify. Mine's been working just great, no controller or game lockups. In fact, I've had more problems with third party controllers (and guitars) with firmware that works than with their firmware. And as longa s they don't make the PS3 and the XMB more like the XBox, I'll be extremely happy. In fact, if they got rid of multiplayer and only had network access for the PlayStation Store I'd be even more happy because it would mean all the kids who own a PS3 instead of a computer and want to use their PS3 to chat, or voice chat, or surf the web would finally go away.

Sep 4, 2009
Right.
So the PS3's hardware is the size of a Kubrick scifi prop and its firmware is more iffy than spiffy.
The best games on Wii are described as "pretty good for a Wii game".
And the Xbox360 has online play full of mouth breathing sequel fanboys.

To hell with this I'm taking up chess and poker.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
i hate the what's new feature , i can't turn it off ... the ps video store is not available in canada ... the ps store is in 3 places , it was fine with 1 ... no custom avatars yet ... the glitter effect is fugly ... the friends list is bad ... don't need people to know what i'm playing ... no customization of xmb ... ps home is still there

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
scotth266 said:
cleverlymadeup said:
But he wasn't implying anything. He was just stating that he didn't own a PS3: he had a PC and 360 instead.
actually he was, you just don't think he was

The actual reason for there not being as many holes in those operating systems is that not many people are trying to find them. Since the number of people with those two operating systems is minimal compared to those who have Windows, hackers focus on making Windows viruses. It's the curse of popularity.

And once again, all you need to do is avoid sites you don't trust. Simple as that.
once again you are wrong, there are actually more people working on linux, both the kernel and various projects than people working on stuff for windows. a lot of those people who are working on linux are finding holes in it

as for CRACKERS, not hackers a hacker is a programmer, focusing more on windows, it's because it's easier, most of the people who are doing this are known as script kiddies and can't actually do a lot of stuff, however they can run a script and get access that way. they target windows simply because the security is so lax, the ability to break into the systems is so easy and a lot of people that use it don't have proper security on their system

now as for visiting a site you don't trust, that's not fully true, you can visit any site you want and all it takes is a bad advertiser that spreads a bad ad and voila you are infected

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Ashbax said:

Now stop whining about your awful console, Ps3 owners, and just get a PC or an xbox...
Reported.

Anyway, let's hope they fix these isolated issues. Mine hasn't had the problems spoken of, though. But the friend's list takes a while to load. I hope that's normal. ^^

Medic Heavy

Jul 4, 2008
Well after I downloaded the firmware my PS3 actually froze while i was playing Resistance 2. God I hope it's the firmware and not the console.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
I haven't noticed any problems but then again I haven't played much since I got a new job.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
OMG the Fanboy-ism and the flaming here is ridiculous.

I, myself have a 60 GB Model PS3 (and a Blue Dual Shock 3 controller) which just been updated, which I had to if I wanted to download some additional (Dem Bones and Crime Alley) maps for Batman Akrham Asylum. That is a big detail people left out, what Model PS3 is everyone with issues using? Yes there is Multiple versions of the same console, and I do not mean just the new slim models ether.

Honestly I do not see how 1 game malfunctioning and knock off 3rd part controllers refusing to function is that great of a deal. Big whoop, problem came up 1 day after the update, and re already got a official response from Sony.

Although, I did not test my Les Paul Guitar Hero Controller or my USB Arcade stick (Modified Game Stop bran PS2 controller with a USB adapter)yet.

I wish some mod would come over and type [/thread] and end this bickering. Your all idiots.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
This is why PS2 > PS3.

Not that I dont love the PS3, but back in the times, we didin't need updates for games. Just the console and game\game controller and your set!

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
I have yet to encounter any problems with firmware 3.00, though there seems to be all these claims every time an update is around. If Sony finds whatever problems these guys are apparently having, well then good for them.

Though I find it hilarious how we already within the first 10 posts have "LOLOLOlz PS3 TEH UNRELIABLZ!@#", and colossally ironic considering the console they're rooting for :S
yes because lord knows when an article stating (Through a poorly done survey) that xbox 360 is at 54.2% failure rate (the survey is poorly done because they failed to ask if the person owned a falcon model, or jasper model console, so it's like me going and asking the people who play on PSN how reliable PSN has been without asking if their issue was with firmware 3.00 or if there happened to be an error when it claimed to be working) PS3 fanboys don't line up comments posting "LUL UR CONSUL EPAC PHAILZ LULUL (ICANHAZCHEEZEBURGER TALK INSERTED HERE)" or "XBOX360 SUX!"

But now you guys experience failures in one of PS3s biggest selling points (It's free online capabilities) and it's suddenly "OMG TEH FANBOYZ! THEY IZ ATTAKING UZ!"
actually with the online issue, i'm going to have to blame the internet service that most americans receive. they have bad network infrastructure that needs upgrading but the companies won't do it cause it's "too expensive" and they'd rather blame people who are downloading stuff rather than their crappy network

but you do have a point that the Sony people don't go into 360 threads and start flaming, much like is happening in here. tho the person writing the article could have left a comment or two out of the article.

as for the firmware, i'd like to see what the issue exactly are how what they people did to cause them.

as for the game informer survey, it might not be the 54% they claim but it's sure as hell isn't the 16% m$ is claiming and frankly breaking it down between console versions wouldn't really do much good cept proving that one version is better than the other, which we already know or at least think is true. so maybe it would be interesting to see the stats.

frankly the only way we will find out is if we get all the info from m$ on their returns and they won't do that unless there's a court case about it[/quote]
erm, MS isn't claiming 16%, SquareTrade is, a warranty provider. And it's claim is based on CURRENT statistics, NOT the initial release and every other failure in history. They are going by how many people sent in NOW for repairs (And this is with falcon models still floating around in retail stores) and the reason it is steadily decreasing in epic fail rate is simply because, the falcon models stopped production, but stores wouldn't toss out their stock of falcon models and instead continued to sell them mixed among the jasper models. squareTrade is pointing out that was the remaining falcon models get watered out of exsistence from store shelves and the last of the falcon models have finally bit the dust, the failure rate COULD drop as low as a comfortable 4% as people will then only own the Jasper models (the ones that fixed the RRoD issue mostly)

And honestly, this makes perfect sense. MS's reason for pulling the falcon model was not health or safety related, so stores won't just toss out the falcon models just to buy the new jasper models when they can just sell the falcons still and nobody will know the difference until the falcon goes all RRoD.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
darksakul said:
Honestly I do not see how 1 game malfunctioning and knock off 3rd part controllers refusing to function is that great of a deal. Big whoop, problem came up 1 day after the update, and re already got a official response from Sony.
Probably because people are used to updates that don't have a wide variety of odd problems which will of course crop up when you have about 8 different versions of the same console. Not saying it's a right or wrong reaction either.

darksakul said:
Your all idiots.
Really now.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Jumplion said:
WhiteTiger225 said:

Uhh............wat? I have no idea what you just said.

From what I can barely deduce from your post, you're thinking that I'm being a fanboy and going everywhere saying "LOLZORZ, TEH 360 SUXZORZ!@#!" when in fact I made no such comment. Are there Ps3 fanboys who go crazy like this? Of course, where the hell did you get the notion of me ever denying that? You're just drawing broad conclusions out of absolutely nothing. I was merely pointing out the hilarious irony of;

Ashbax said:

Woodsey said:
Another nail in the coffin for those guys.

I've never owned a Sony console, and am primarily a PC gamer although I own a 360 as well. I can appreciate that whilst I didn't have an interest in it at all, that the PS2 was a major hit, and yet they get this so wrong. It seems ridiculous.

Cue PS3 fanboys ram-raiding down my throat but there you go.
from this minor inconvenience barely affecting any PS3 owners (that we know of) and countering it with an already unreliable console (and don't say I'm a fanboy from that, the more "accepted" 30% is still atrocious).

And if we get what we pay for, wouldn't that mean that the Ps3 is automatically the "best" console out there? I just absolutely hate that logic, price does not mean anything in the quality of a product, all it means is that it's priced higher, and people inherently want cheaper things already! But that's a personal gripe not related to much of this anyway.
LOL troll sucks at twisting mah words!

I was pointing out YOU act like the 360 fans flamming PS3 users over this is unprecedented, despite the fact it's just a bit of revenge flaming :p

also if you took note of what the article is about, "You get what you paid for" is obviously a line comparing XBL's monthly fee online service to PSN's freeness. And actually, price DOES mean a lot. remember, if a product is too good to be true for the price, it probally is, so you should always research a product that is suspiciously cheap. For example. A store near my home sells Apple Ipods for 20-40 bucks... well upon closer inspection I noticed the fineprint trademark logos were suspiciously low rendered (Blurry). Come to find out... with a little research, said Ipod WAS too good to be true. Why? Because it was a fake. I asked the store manager to show me a sample, and, lo' and behold!? It's selection wheel didn't click when I turned it (It also came stocked with a bunch of asian pop songs, another factor one youtuber pointed out in the fake models) and guess what? This wouldn't be so bad if said reports of these fakes didn't ALSO include that the batteries had a tendancy to explode (A decently high tendancy)

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
VincentX3 said:
This is why PS2 > PS3.

Not that I dont love the PS3, but back in the times, we didin't need updates for games. Just the console and game\game controller and your set!
also back when sony knew how to please the crowd.. ahhhh... backwards compatability.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Fangface74 said:
Ashbax said:
Well, you get what you pay for, chaps. Xbox all the way.
I'm not entirely sure we 360 owners can use 'reliability' as a whipping post...
I can. My Xbox 360 Elite is still going strong after 2 years of abuse at the hands of a 7-8 year olds, drunk college kids, 2 moves, and an untold number of LAN parties. It's been dropped, tripped over, and has been fallen on, and the only issue I ever had was the RF module came loose (Nothing a bash to the front couldn't fix). I don't care what people say about theirs, but mine must've came out of the 51% that were built like a goddamn tank.

That said, reliability should never be used by 360 fantards. Ever.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
AceDiamond said:
darksakul said:
Probably because people are used to updates that don't have a wide variety of odd problems which will of course crop up when you have about 8 different versions of the same console.

darksakul said:
Your all idiots.
Really now.
Well I DID mention about various versions with the PS3 Consoles. So far I yet to see anyone mention What model console they have, on any forum. I example would be "I got a 60 GB Console" or I have model "CECHExx (80 GB that was pre-bundled with Motor Sport and/or MGS4)".

Next, calling EVERY ONE IDIOTS I am referring to the Flame War Grande Above. It was a statement yo try to make Fan boys on both sides not just mad but to think what the hell they are bitching about. For Christ sakes its a glitch effecting 1 game and some random controllers, most seem to be 3rd party. It was bound to happen at some time.

But do not take my explanation for a apology , I apologizes for nothing. As I see if, if someone got offended, so be it, they most likely guilty any ways, if you are not why are you getting so upset over.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
LOL troll sucks at twisting mah words!
Really now? You're calling me a troll? Can't a guys just have no idea what you said? Seriously, you were saying something about how Ps3 owners apparently do something or 'nother with the "360 SUXZORZZ" or something? I honestly had no idea what you were talking about, but it was something about how apparently I was trying to make PS3 owners seem innocent of something that I never said at all.

I was pointing out YOU act like the 360 fans flamming PS3 users over this is unprecedented, despite the fact it's just a bit of revenge flaming :p
You're confusing me, what exactly am I doing wrong? Again, I was just pointing out the hilarious irony with a few posters who said that the PS3 is unreliable and then pointing to the 360 as a form of "reliablness-ess". I don't care anyone's stance on the whole "consul warz", the 360 is kind of "famous" (more infamous really) of the notorious RRoD with it's failure rates ranging from 10% to 50%, and that's only counting RRoDs.

Do PS3s fail? Of course they do. Is this 3.00 update causing some problems with a few people? Maybe, it wouldn't surprise me, there's always a problem or two. But you're claiming that we're experiencing a "failure" of a free system when hardly anyone is truly having these problems at all. Hell, from what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the "controllers freezing up" are 3rd party controllers. Why the hell is Sony responsible for how a 3rd party accessory reacts to their console?

also if you took note of what the article is about, "You get what you paid for" is obviously a line comparing XBL's monthly fee online service to PSN's freeness. And actually, price DOES mean a lot. remember, if a product is too good to be true for the price, it probally is, so you should always research a product that is suspiciously cheap. For example. A store near my home sells Apple Ipods for 20-40 bucks... well upon closer inspection I noticed the fineprint trademark logos were suspiciously low rendered (Blurry). Come to find out... with a little research, said Ipod WAS too good to be true. Why? Because it was a fake. I asked the store manager to show me a sample, and, lo' and behold!? It's selection wheel didn't click when I turned it (It also came stocked with a bunch of asian pop songs, another factor one youtuber pointed out in the fake models) and guess what? This wouldn't be so bad if said reports of these fakes didn't ALSO include that the batteries had a tendancy to explode (A decently high tendancy)
If you say "you get what you pay for", that applies to everything. Not "oh, I only meant the online stuff", it relates to everything. With the logic of "I payed more for it, it's better!" that means that the PS3 is automatically the "best" console out there and that's a huge flaw. Are there some nuances to the saying? Yeah, sure, sometimes the more expensive stuff is good or "better". But if one laptop from "Brand A" has 2USB ports and costs $2000 and another laptop has 4USB ports costing $1000 from "Brand-y", the cheaper one will win out usually. Most likely you're paying for the brand name with "Brand A", and that's true with many electronics and items in general. Sometimes less is more, and more is less, blah de blah blah, boogaloo.

AceDiamond said:
Probably because people are used to updates that don't have a wide variety of odd problems which will of course crop up when you have about 8 different versions of the same console. Not saying it's a right or wrong reaction either.
Well, if it's 3rd party controllers that are causing the problem, I don't see how Sony is responsible in any way for how they react to their updates. That's if they're 3rd party controllers, though, [small]don't hurt me![/small]