Cute Robots Protect Your Privacy on Street View

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Some may worry about their privacy being invaded by Street View, but according to this video, those worries are unfounded.

Google has released a new video, targeted at the Japanese, to allay privacy fears over its Google Maps Street View feature. Street View allows map viewers to take a look at actual pictures of the streets on a Google Map. Google makes this possible by sending out a car that takes pictures of its surroundings. Google has been criticized for invading the privacy of the citizens and businesses shown in these pictures.

But, not to worry, Street View is nothing to be feared, as we can see in the video. Not only are all the pictures taken by a cute, unassuming robot, but he works his ass off all night and day to make sure that mailing addresses and license plate numbers stay the hell off of Google Maps. And, if something happens to slip through the cracks, give the little guy a call or send him a letter and he'll correct the mistake! He's Google's robot slave, he doesn't need to sleep. What the video doesn't show is that if the robot takes a picture of you, it steals your soul and you die a day later. But at least he'll Photoshop you out of Street View!

Source: Japanator [http://www.japanator.com/google-maps-addresses-considerable-privacy-issues-wit-daaawwww-look-at-the-cute-little-robot--11342.phtml]

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I got to admit, this looks like it could be really effective... in Japan.

I mean face it, google is being way WAY more considerate than all those paparazzi C**T faces when it comes laws protecting photography in public places. Google is really doing all that it can to allay any worries and jsut want a cohesive street view map, something which IMHO is truly revolutionary.

It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
That's awsome but...

wouldn't some car just run it over by mistake, get stepped on or kicked somewhere?

.... CUTE!!

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
What the video doesn't show is that if the robot takes a picture of you, it steals your soul and you die a day later. But at least he'll Photoshop you out of Street View!

Source: Japanator [http://www.japanator.com/google-maps-addresses-considerable-privacy-issues-wit-daaawwww-look-at-the-cute-little-robot--11342.phtml]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
He took a picture of us all at the end!

theflyingpeanut said:
... I think that video gave me diabetes.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I think that's adorable, and it gets the message across really well. And I want a cool scanner just like his!

Sigel

Jul 6, 2009
Oh my gawd, that was so cute!!! I wish they actually made that little car and robot so it could just wander around my apartment and make me giggle.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Skynet... it's evolving...
Hey, someone had to say it.
Also, this just kind of gives me the creeps, Google robotic slaves, they will one day rule the world.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I think its a kind of cute commercial, a bit long for a commercial but it has a sort of Mr. Rogers feel about it.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
As one of those special people who has a picture of them on Street View.. (ohhhhh yeahhhhh.. Actually, it's not that great.) I wasn't concerned originally, but I do congratulate Google on the effort they go to for the sake of conserving privacy through wiping off addresses and such. The animation's a fun way to deal with it and from an artistic perspective quite effective.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Looks kinda like Bomberman but with an outstretched face shaped lime a camera.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And that's exactly the way Google Maps does it in reality, too.

The more you know!

Flying-Emu said:
I don't get it. Where's the problem with them taking pictures of a street?
Some people worry that others who might mean them harm can find them easily on Google Maps. Privacy and whatnot, you know. Personally, it doesn't matter much to me, but then again, I don't matter much.