Heavy Rain Gameplay Demo is Really Depressing

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Heavy Rain Gameplay Demo is Really Depressing

Quantic Dream co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumiere shows off some heavy stuff the player will have to deal with in Heavy Rain.

(Warning: Spoilers!)

The above video, shot for Japanese audiences but with handy English subtitles, features Quantic Dream boss playing through two scenes from the upcoming Heavy Rain, a game that defies genre pigeonholing. (seriously, what are we calling it now? Interactive Adventure? Choose-Your-Own-Quicktime-Event? Hideo Kojima's Dream Genre?) There are some minor spoilers, so watch - and read - at your own risk.

The first of the two, called "Father and Son," puts us in the shoes of successful architect Ethan Mars after a tragic car accident that claims the life of one of his two sons. (Spoiler Alert: You just read a spoiler!) It's unclear what exactly happened to his wife in the scene in question, but Ethan can choose to either take care of his son, spend time with him, and make him do his homework, or - for example - retire to his study where he can feel sorry for himself.

De Fondaumiere stressed the impact and consequences of the character's decisions, noting that choices can come back to bite you several scenes down the road. If Ethan becomes a deadbeat dad who withdraws into a shell following the accident, obviously things will be different than if he spent time with his other son - but this same approach will apparently apply to minor choices too, like whether he shoos his son off to do his homework now or lets him procrastinate.

I'm not going to deny that Heavy Rain is a spectacular (and spectacular-looking) piece of storytelling tech, but there's still one question in my mind: Will it be any fun to play? The investigation and fight scenes that we've seen thus far seem like they could be interesting and engaging, but it strikes me that a scene like this - very depressing, very emotionally charged, where you're essentially playing a guy going through the trials and tribulations of life - might not go over so well with the vast majority of gamers. Everybody has real-life problems of their own: Why do they want to have to deal with the problems of a fictional character in a game?

That's where I'm getting hung up on Heavy Rain thus far. Maybe I'll be wrong, but it would be a shame for a title with so much work going into it to ultimately end up as something that appeals only to a very small niche.

(Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/heavy-rain-special-presentation-1])

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Emotional impact is important in games.

I have been looking forward to this kind of character depth for a long time. It looks like it will be fun for me to play.

To bad most gamers are emotionally fragile retards who can't go 2 seconds without something blowing up.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Looks interesting. Never knew it existed until now. I love plot driven stories, so it'll be one to look out for. Am I right in thinking it is a PS3 exclusive?

EDIT:
Dark Templar said:
Emotional impact is important in games.

I have been looking forward to this kind of character depth for a long time. It looks like it will be fun for me to play.

To bad most gamers are emotionally fragile retards who can't go 2 seconds without something blowing up.
Hey! Not all of us have regressed to the point of being Micheal Bay! But the thing that annoys me the most is that there is some truth to your words.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Why does the game have to have mainstream appeal?, Plenty of books and movies are aimed at a niche audience and they can still make money.

Most games have you dealing with your characters problems it just so happens that usually those problems involve racing a car, scoring a goal or shooting someone in the head. Quantic Dreams know what they are doing. Farehneit involved similar themes and it received critical acclaim and obviously sold enough for them to carry on in the same way

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Looks...intresting, like the path...but I doubt I'll play it. I'm going to keep an eye on it, But I can't afford anything decent right now...god damn ODST.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Does this mean we now of a genre of games that could be classified as 'Emo' ? To be honest I am not sure how I feel about this. I think I will need to see more information about it before I make the decision as to if I am going to play it.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
(seriously, what are we calling it now? Interactive Adventure? Choose-Your-Own-Quicktime-Event? Hideo Kojima's Dream Genre?)
this made me lol quite hard.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Already pre-ordered. The game is probably not going to be that depressing. Ethan Mars is only one of the 4 playable characters, and if you don't like him just go and get him killed so you don't have to deal with Ethan's depression any more (sometihng that I'll probably do, since I want to play as the badass girl more anyway).

An emotionally charged game is a nice step away from the norm, and even though I don't think that this genre will be a big hit, a few good games to represent it would be nice.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Looks like a game that draws you in.And leaves with unexplainable emotions.Can´t wait for it.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Pipotchi said:
Why does the game have to have mainstream appeal?, Plenty of books and movies are aimed at a niche audience and they can still make money.

Most games have you dealing with your characters problems it just so happens that usually those problems involve racing a car, scoring a goal or shooting someone in the head. Quantic Dreams know what they are doing. Farehneit involved similar themes and it received critical acclaim and obviously sold enough for them to carry on in the same way
I agree.

Niche games are actually better in my opinion. No need to appeal to the stupid drooling masses,these games are free to be really great games for its intended audience.

Like what survival horror used to be. Not this watered down bullshit you see today.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I'm not going to deny that Heavy Rain is a spectacular (and spectacular-looking) piece of storytelling tech, but there's still one question in my mind: Will it be any fun to play? The investigation and fight scenes that we've seen thus far seem like they could be interesting and engaging, but it strikes me that a scene like this - very depressing, very emotionally charged, where you're essentially playing a guy going through the trials and tribulations of life - might not go over so well with the vast majority of gamers. Everybody has real-life problems of their own: Why do they want to have to deal with the problems of a fictional character in a game?
For a game like this, whose aim is to be a narrative (similar to a novel or film, but with interactivity, of course), the driving force for players when it's not feeling fun will have to be suspense. And that will depend on whether the story is good enough to maintain it.

It's still not mainstream, of course. But if they do a good job with it, it will do fine with its audience.

Edit: and Quantic Dream's track record [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1670] doesn't have me convinced.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
The more I see the more interested I am. I enjoy relating to character in game (why I struggle with grizzled marine archetype) and if the writing and development this could be a promising step for game to have a niche market of the industry grow. Hoping for a mature nuanced journey that can be done multiple time and surprise me in various ways.