Heavy Rain Gameplay Demo is Really Depressing

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
CantFaketheFunk said:
Echolocating said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
I'm not going to deny that Heavy Rain is a spectacular (and spectacular-looking) piece of storytelling tech, but there's still one question in my mind: Will it be any fun to play? The investigation and fight scenes that we've seen thus far seem like they could be interesting and engaging, but it strikes me that a scene like this - very depressing, very emotionally charged, where you're essentially playing a guy going through the trials and tribulations of life - might not go over so well with the vast majority of gamers. Everybody has real-life problems of their own: Why do they want to have to deal with the problems of a fictional character in a game?

That's where I'm getting hung up on Heavy Rain thus far. Maybe I'll be wrong, but it would be a shame for a title with so much work going into it to ultimately end up as something that appeals only to a very small niche.
I don't think this game will be fun in the sense that you're suggesting. Was No Country For Old Men any fun to watch? No.

I understand the concern about popularity equating to great sales and more developers follow suit with adult drama games, but I think it's a catch 22. Either you make a dramatic game for adults or you don't. As soon as you make it appealing to the youth, it loses it's appeal with adults.

I really enjoyed Cursed Mountain, but the sales are dismal. I would love to play more games like it, but that may never happen (because of the sales). However, what would it have needed to sacrifice in order to have those great sales? Would I still have enjoyed it? Probably not.

Sooner or later, developers are going to have to start making video games for adults. Why not now? Now is a perfect time. ;-)
Here's my problem with that idea: It costs a lot of money to make a game. You need to make that money back. A game that doesn't sell enough to recoup its cost will rarely get a sequel.

I'm all for Quantic pushing the envelope, but if they push it too far, fail, and don't get to try again, then we've just taken a step back.
I think I understand where you're coming from, but I fail to see how that is a step back. In film, we have movies that push boundaries and try to do something new or say something controversial. Why can't video gaming do the same? If your definition of taking a step back relies on the commercial failure of something, then I don't know what else to say. Was Beyond Good & Evil was a step back? ...or Okami? If developers keep playing it safe, the video game medium will never be taken seriously. I've been playing video games for over 25 years now and I still can't believe how juvenile the medium truly is. Eventually somebody has to take a risk and I'm glad Quantic Dream is willing to do this.

Makes me glad that I still have my copy of Omikron. ;-)

Diablosinmusica

Oct 14, 2009
I have never enjoyed quick time events and don't see how they can make up the gameplay of a modern game.
Kinda looks like a big cut scene to me.
I'm not trying to be a troll, while I enjoy a good story, but when all i want is a story that is when I read a book, watch a movie, etc, that is not the main reason why i play video games.
I don't know who remembers it but there was a game called Shenmue on the Sega Dream Cast that had a similar concept with similar hype(i am pretty sure that it introduced quick time events), but still was all but forgotten about when people got there hands on it.
I hope that I am wrong. It could be a ground breaking game, or it could be another video game neanderthal concept, promising but not strong enough to continue.

Mar 26, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Everybody has real-life problems of their own: Why do they want to have to deal with the problems of a fictional character in a game?

That's where I'm getting hung up on Heavy Rain thus far. Maybe I'll be wrong, but it would be a shame for a title with so much work going into it to ultimately end up as something that appeals only to a very small niche.
No, I actually partly agree with you. I'm all for emotion-charged gameplay, but I also play to escape my own problems rather than take on others. Silent Hill 2 is a good example of a tortured character and depressive narrative used to good effect. This may go that one step too far. Time will tell. It'll probably be the Requiem For A Dream of gaming.

And Quantic Dreams games always turn out to be just that, unique, rivetting games that appeal to a very small niche. Look at Omnikron: Nomad Soul and Fahrenheit. I really liked both of them, but they only burned bright on the gaming landscape for a short time and then faded away. This looks a lot like a prettier Fahrenheit; which isn't a bad thing. In fact it makes me want to play it. I'm just not expecting anything earth-shattering.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
I don't think I've ever gotten more invested into characters than I did with the first half or so of Fahrenheit. While I certainly enjoy me some Uncharted, Gears of War, and Call of Duty, Heavy Rain is the kind of the game I always look forward too in a potential sort of way. I don't mind if I get depressed if I'm playing a game that's supposed to be depressing, much like I don't mind getting excited in the middle of a pitched gunfight or tense up when I'm about to assassinate someone from over a kilometer away. Getting that emotionally invested in something is a good thing, no matter what the emotion might be. Maybe that's just me.

I hope it'll sell well enough to prove to others that you can create a emotionally charged story in an interactive medium and have those interactions be meaningful to not only the story, but the player as well.

But its a PS3 exclusive, and its contained in pretty much its own genre, shared only by a game made by the same company that wasn't exactly a failure, but wasn't exactly a success. I don't know video game budgets, but this game appears to have one thats fairly high; motion capturing eye movements can't be that cheap, can it? I simply can't see it making back its budget.

But, on the other more optimistic hand, maybe Sony knows this and is willing to take that large risk anyways. Maybe Sony is willing to take the loss if it means testing the market with, in my opinion, an ambitious and incredibly different IP type. Even if this game is the next Max Payne 2 I can take solace in the fact that game publishers do indeed, occasionally, take risks in what is still a quickly changing and, in terms of mature content, young industry.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Here's the thing about Heavy Rain that I can't like; I'm a sap. A scene of a father and family coping with the loss of their child WILL make me cry. I also like fully exploring how my options play out in such a versitile story. So I'd want to play through a few times. I'd then be forced to experience such gut wrenching moments over and over again. ;_;

That said, I will probably get it, and suffer through the bits that will make me cry. I'm a storyteller, and a game set up entirely with story as its focus has my undevided attention.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
The game still looks really good though. This game is just another reason I'm getting a PS3.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
The game seems very poignant. Its developers also seem quite ambitious, so... fingers crossed. We need more of these sorts of games.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Pipotchi said:
Why does the game have to have mainstream appeal?, Plenty of books and movies are aimed at a niche audience and they can still make money.
Because making a game is a very expensive process these days. Making a game that only appeals to a small niche is a good way to go bankrupt. Books are relatively cheap to produce compared to games.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
I thought Heavy Rain looked good from the very beginning. I'm glad they've finally released gameplay. Can't wait for this one! ^_^

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Pipotchi said:
Why does the game have to have mainstream appeal?, Plenty of books and movies are aimed at a niche audience and they can still make money.
Because making a game is a very expensive process these days. Making a game that only appeals to a small niche is a good way to go bankrupt. Books are relatively cheap to produce compared to games.
True but look at the movie industry. Paramount will make crappy summer blockbusters that make lots of cash but then release niche/artisitc films in order to keep actors happy and or win/awards.

Why cant Heavy Rain be our Shawshank Redemption?, not a money maker at the begining but a slow burn that makes money as reputation grows and reviews/awards come in

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
If I remember correctly the first installment of this game was panned by PS2 magazine which ruined the whole series for Me(Though now My older mind realizes the official part made it complete bullshit)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Malicious said:
Stupid idea for a game, why would anyone play that?! Its not fun, its just like a normal bad life, or a drama movie -_-
Just because you don't think it's a fun idea for a game does not make it "stupid" or any less fun. Heavy Rain is trying something different and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'm extremely excited for this game and am hoping that Quantic Dream fufils their promises and then some. If you don't think it's interesting, that's fine, but it is by no means "stupid" just because you wouldn't play it.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I think it's good for the interactive storytelling idea to it... but for a game it doesn't seem like something that I would be that interested in.

But for me, I play games to have a fun challenge that help me forget about a stressful day etc, or when I am sick as a dog and have nothing else to do. That kind of escapism is what helps for that stress sometimes.

The other times I play games are with friends and to have a lot of fun with eachother and to socialize...

This does not seem like the kind of game that I would like. I'm sure the story and everything is very good and movie-like and brings the kind of characters that attach you like they do in your favorite movie... but whenever I see games like this... I just cannot shake the feeling that this would not be fun, and I would like to see it as a movie instead.

Im sure yahtzee made a point about cinematic gaming... I'd add that criticism as well

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
DiscoveryOne said:
I think it's good for the interactive storytelling idea to it... but for a game it doesn't seem like something that I would be that interested in.

But for me, I play games to have a fun challenge that help me forget about a stressful day etc, or when I am sick as a dog and have nothing else to do. That kind of escapism is what helps for that stress sometimes.

The other times I play games are with friends and to have a lot of fun with eachother and to socialize...

This does not seem like the kind of game that I would like. I'm sure the story and everything is very good and movie-like and brings the kind of characters that attach you like they do in your favorite movie... but whenever I see games like this... I just cannot shake the feeling that this would not be fun, and I would like to see it as a movie instead.

Im sure yahtzee made a point about cinematic gaming... I'd add that criticism as well
I do understand this mentality, obviously people do like to play games mainly for escapism, but I feel that if a movie, book, TV show, etc... can be depressing or realistic or something similar, then I don't see why video games can't be either. Obviously you would not be the target audience for this game, which is perfectly fine as I don't see why every game has to cater to everyone. If you just want to play a game that lets you escape from homelife, then Heavy Rain is not for you. For people who want something different, a new experience all together, Heavy Rain is right up our alley.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Jumplion said:
DiscoveryOne said:

I do understand this mentality, obviously people do like to play games mainly for escapism, but I feel that if a movie, book, TV show, etc... can be depressing or realistic or something similar, then I don't see why video games can't be either. Obviously you would not be the target audience for this game, which is perfectly fine as I don't see why every game has to cater to everyone. If you just want to play a game that lets you escape from homelife, then Heavy Rain is not for you. For people who want something different, a new experience all together, Heavy Rain is right up our alley.
ah. what a lovely response.

I should say that in no way am I not AMAZED by this game and the way it looks and just the fact that it EXISTS. I mean this is something that I thought would happen sooner or later, and this really does hit it out of the park.
The ideas I read about with branching stories and deaths affecting that story in real time... it really is quite a feat for this to be made.

At the same time, I just know it's not for me.

It's like my mum's diabetes equipment. She has this moniter that can keep a live read look at what her BS levels. that amazes me to read into it, but I'm not diabetic, so...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Malicious said:
Jumplion said:
Malicious said:
Stupid idea for a game, why would anyone play that?! Its not fun, its just like a normal bad life, or a drama movie -_-
Just because you don't think it's a fun idea for a game does not make it "stupid" or any less fun. Heavy Rain is trying something different and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'm extremely excited for this game and am hoping that Quantic Dream fufils their promises and then some. If you don't think it's interesting, that's fine, but it is by no means "stupid" just because you wouldn't play it.
Oh its by no means stupid for everyone, i was stating my subjective opinion, since to me its stupid gameplay. Something new is good, like mirrors edge which failed, and im thinking this will fail as well, but there's always someone with a different and/or strange taste in things who will try out things like that. To me a gameplay mechanic when you are another lousy guy doing nothing and deciding to "sit down and do nothing" is not something i look forward to.
Now that is the answer I was looking for, thank you for elaborating. Like I said before, I can understand why some people wouldn't be too excited about this, but that doesn't make it any less exciting for anyone else.