Jupiter's Moon Has Enough Oxygen to Sustain Earth-Like Life

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Jupiter's Moon Has Enough Oxygen to Sustain Earth-Like Life

New research into Jupiter's fourth largest moon has revealed that the orbiting body contains enough oxygen to support complex, Earth-like lifeforms.

Though it has long been known that Europa has an oxygen-rich oceanic environment, this latest research indicates that the actual oxygen level found in the moon's copious bodies of water is up to 100 times greater than previously imagined. With oxygen being a key component for life as we know it, this discovery no doubt has scientists imagining adorable Spore-style critters swimming the frigid Europan waves, before running headlong into the cruel wall of reality.

As PhysOrg explains [http://www.physorg.com/news174918239.html], though this could indicate alien beasts, there are still a number of logical hurdles to surmount before we can start budgeting cash to send teams of Firebats to boil any unfriendly looking lakes.

The global ocean on Jupiter's moon Europa contains about twice the liquid water of all the Earth's oceans combined. The chances for life there have been uncertain, because Europa's ocean lies beneath several miles of ice, which separates it from the production of oxygen at the surface by energetic charged particles (similar to cosmic rays). Without oxygen, life could conceivably exist at hot springs in the ocean floor using exotic metabolic chemistries, based on sulfur or the production of methane. However, it is not certain whether the ocean floor actually would provide the conditions for such life. Therefore a key question has been whether enough oxygen reaches the ocean to support the oxygen-based metabolic process that is most familiar to us. An answer comes from considering the young age of Europa's surface. Its geology and the paucity of impact craters suggests that the top of the ice is continually reformed such that the current surface is only about 50 million years old, roughly 1% of the age of the solar system.

In short, it seems that Europa is an excellent candidate for supporting extraterrestrial life, but realistically speaking, if there are any life forms up there, they are most likely very rudimentary (think: the same sort of single and multi-cellular organisms from which all life on Earth eventually evolved).

It's something of a bummer to realize that all that sweet, sweet oxygen is going to waste on the evolutionary equivalent of Magikarp, but it's also probably for the best. If Europa was home to Giger-esque living nightmares, it would only be a matter of time before we were all impregnated by ropey little spider creatures with absolutely no regard for our collective upper gastronomic tracts.

(Image [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jupiter_family.jpg])

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Well at least we now have a planet you can all escape to you when i take over this one.

I may even be as so kind as to lend you some ships :D

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder what kind of beasts there are. Hopefully not Jar Jar Binks or something. He lived underwater as well, it's a bad omen.

On a serious note, it seems unlikely we'll find anything because the ice is too thick and it would be too expensive to run the operation.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Ranooth said:
Well at least we now have a planet you can all escape to you when i take over this one.

yes, all we'll need are a few radiators for heat.
maybe a few hundred.
oh, and maybe some food. (I'm not into canabalism)

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Well that's good news.

I'm afraid I jave to pop everyone's intergalactic home story here by reminding us that at present we've only been able to successfully land on the Moon (we've sent probes to Mars but I don't think that really counts in this context).

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Wow. Feels strange, we might not be alone :p
We might have been some other life-bearing planet's Jupiter. Suck it Christianity.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Ranooth said:

All hail Lord Ranooth!

OT: That sounds pretty gnarly. Haven't they been investigating Europa for years now?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
This might not mean life though since earth life existed in anaerobic (no oxygen environment) and then bacteria produced the oxygen as a waste product dominating the planet since it was toxic to other microbes. If this oxygen has always been there it might not favour the original cells etc that formed.

However if geological evidence could should it appeared over a period of time (with a sudden change, in terms of geological time, in the level of oxygen in the level of atmosphere through the level of oxygen stored in rocks) it could indicate there had been a boom in oxygen producing bacteria.

Although in theory we could colonise, take a fair while to get there though

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
We might have been some other life-bearing planet's Jupiter. Suck it Christianity.
We'll pull through, Bible never explicitly mentions America either now does it?

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
stonethered said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Is that a pro or anti Christianity statement? (Cant tell >.>)

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Glefistus said:
Kiutu said:
stonethered said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Whichever it is, religious arguments have no place in this thread, in my opinion. Take it outside.
I made no argument. "Suck it Christianity" is a statement.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Glefistus said:
Kiutu said:
stonethered said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Whichever it is, religious arguments have no place in this thread, in my opinion. Take it outside.
Or better yet, do us all a favor and drop the whole argument. I mean come on, this is just like what happened when the unique fossil was discovered earlier this year. People used it as an argument against religion.

Anyways, I find it fascinating that life (aside from Earth) may exist within our own solar system.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
I'm offended that you believe all people who believe in god believe there is no possible way there is life somewhere else, I believe its impossible there isn't. I also believe in evolution to a certain extent. Hell my grandfather believes that the Garden of Eden is actually on Mars and the four angels that guard its borders destroyed the mars rover that tried to cross into it. Yea we're pretty crazy but not everyone is a bible bond crazy. I see the bible as more of a guide than a book of rules. That said, it saddens me to know I probably won't see alien life in my life time.