Jupiter's Moon Has Enough Oxygen to Sustain Earth-Like Life

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Hmm, oxygen.
So if we ever reach there, we could refill our breathing tanks? :p
Alien air!!! Scary.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I think you are all forgetting something very important about Magikarp. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3dI2Shtz8] Perhpas the same rule applies to these guys as well? =P

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Fuck yeah. This is what I'm talking about.

I wonder what religion will say about this if there are, in fact, "aliens," even if they are multi cellular organisms, it would force us to consider other, let's say, extensions of the situation.

What is...gasp! Those extensions don't believe in Jesus?!

I'm glad to be alive in times like these.

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
KoreyGM said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Wow. Feels strange, we might not be alone :p
We might have been some other life-bearing planet's Jupiter. Suck it Christianity.
I'm offended that you believe all people who believe in god believe there is no possible way there is life somewhere else, I believe its impossible there isn't. I also believe in evolution to a certain extent. Hell my grandfather believes that the Garden of Eden is actually on Mars and the four angels that guard its borders destroyed the mars rover that tried to cross into it. Yea we're pretty crazy but not everyone is a bible bond crazy. I see the bible as more of a guide than a book of rules. That said, it saddens me to know I probably won't see alien life in my life time.
Quoted for truth. I myself am a religious person (though not Christian) but I still think it's inevitable that life exists elsewhere.

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
If there's any kind of life in our solar system other than us, that's great news, one can only imagine the possibilities beyond our solar system.

EDiT: There's also great potential to research just how far abiogenesis really can go. If life could start with so little energy from the sun, there are many, many possibilities for extraterrestrial life.

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Ranooth said:
Well at least we now have a planet you can all escape to you when i take over this one.

I may even be as so kind as to lend you some ships :D
yes, all we'll need are a few radiators for heat.
maybe a few hundred.
oh, and maybe some food. (I'm not into canabalism)
Who is betting there is going to be inbreeding?

*puts on cap saying "The South of Europa will rise again*

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
Meh. It's far, it's (probably) cold, that moon in smaller than our moon and people can't live only with oxygen. How could people get there? Wouldn't air in their space ships run out before they get there? What would people eat while flying? What's to eat there? It's not like we can just fly there and colonize it.
...eh.
And stop talking about religion here! Your the dumbass if you start religious arguments here! Religion never said (i think) that there is no life on other planets.
You don't see religious people coming here and saying ''Oh, that's the place where the God lives, we'll go there and you'll all see that there is a God, har har har. Science sucks!''

Gebi10000

Aug 14, 2009
messy said:
This might not mean life though since earth life existed in anaerobic (no oxygen environment) and then bacteria produced the oxygen as a waste product dominating the planet since it was toxic to other microbes. If this oxygen has always been there it might not favour the original cells etc that formed.

However if geological evidence could should it appeared over a period of time (with a sudden change, in terms of geological time, in the level of oxygen in the level of atmosphere through the level of oxygen stored in rocks) it could indicate there had been a boom in oxygen producing bacteria.

Although in theory we could colonise, take a fair while to get there though
It's not so bad, only 6 years with nucler propulsion.The internet lag from there would be awefull though.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
KoreyGM said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
We might have been some other life-bearing planet's Jupiter. Suck it Christianity.
Hell my grandfather believes that the Garden of Eden is actually on Mars and the four angels that guard its borders destroyed the mars rover that tried to cross into it.
That sounds like the basis for a kickass sci-fi novel...does your grandfather have any writing talent? If so, make him write it, and I'll buy it.

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
What are we waiting for lets go, it would be pretty cool to live on Jupiter. Imagine a conversation at uni.
"Are you an international student"
"Yeah"
"Where do you come from?"
"Oh a small place in Jupiter, its not that far from here".
I think i maybe slightly over tired.

hansari

May 31, 2009
messy said:
Although in theory we could colonise, take a fair while to get there though
Does the first human space colony really have to be called "Europa"?

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
back to your bridge troll!
on a more serious note maybe we can use our nukes to melt some ice start shooting now they will get there in 50+ years

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Isn't Europa just one big giant ball of ice? Even if there is life there, so what? We could never live on that planet, and every science teacher I've ever had has long since thought that Europa had the highest chance of having living creatures, so this announcement really means nothing.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Eh guys....

"All these planets are yours except Europa, attempt no landing there"

Have you all forgotten the star childs message?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
But isn't Jupiter's gravity like eight times stronger than our own??

Anyways, thats cool.