Apr 21, 2009
Alright let's do this LEEEEROOYYYYYYYYYYY JEEEEEEEEEEENNNKINS

Translation: Let's go there AND NOT WEAR SPACE SUITS HOLY SHEIT

messy

Dec 3, 2008
hansari said:
messy said:
Although in theory we could colonise, take a fair while to get there though
Does the first human space colony really have to be called "Europa"?
well we could always call it Americaa oh wait...

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Seeing as how Europa is probably referring to the mythological Phoenician woman and not Europe like some people who don't bother to do research will claim I don't see the reason for having to get all jingoistic about what to call the first possible moon colony outside of the asteroid belt.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Well at least now we which extra-terretrial rock NASA will be throwing bombs at next.

OT. Anyone know what the weathers like on europa? Other than cold obv. Cause it would be awesome to go wind-snowboarding with all that ice!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Idlemessiah said:
Well at least now we which extra-terretrial rock NASA will be throwing bombs at next.
Yeah let's "bomb" a moon we already know has water to find out if it has water.

Oct 1, 2009
Did you guys learn nothing from 2010: Odyssey Two?

Lono Shrugged said:
Eh guys....

"All these planets are yours except Europa, attempt no landing there"

Have you all forgotten the star childs message?

Anyway, this is pretty interesting news, however, I doubt we'll be finding any other organisms in the solar system anytime soon. Well, you know, unless we had a Monolith (I really need to stop referencing that book.)

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
The Ouroboros of Red said:

Lono Shrugged said:
Eh guys....

"All these planets are yours except Europa, attempt no landing there"

Have you all forgotten the star childs message?

Anyway, this is pretty interesting news, however, I doubt we'll be finding any other organisms in the solar system anytime soon. Well, you know, unless we had a Monolith (I really need to stop referencing that book.)
Well first we'd have to go back in time to 2001 and send a guy named Dave into space to meet a monolith at Jupiter.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Eh... This thread touched an opinion of mine on the subject of "alien" existence. First of all, congrats Jupiter, for almost being able to host life. Have a cookie, you earned it. Now, it really irritates me when people believe that there exists no life outside of our planet. That belief is as stupid as "the earth is flat" one. I want you to do something for me. Take the highest number you can think of, any number with more than 20 digits. Now multiply that by 1.000.000.000. Congratulations, you have just almost grasped how many planets there are in the universe, or to be more precise, a quarter of it.

I ask you, my fellow escapists, how in the holy mother of fuck can WE be the ONLY planet that houses life and "intelligent" beings? But, you might ask, why hasn't anyone made contact with us? To that I would reply, why haven't we made contact with anyone? Anyways, this is kinda going off topic, so yeah, think about it, if you want to.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Some people actually still think the Earth is flat
www.theflatearthsociety.org

If Jupiter and Saturn are re-classified as Brown Dwarfs then their moons would be micro planets in their very own micro solar systems, and Europa would be the first discovered habitable planet.

Oh, I claim Europa as my own soverign planet.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
In short, it seems that Europa is an excellent candidate for supporting extraterrestrial life, but realistically speaking, if there are any life forms up there, they are most likely very rudimentary (think: the same sort of single and multi-cellular organisms from which all life on Earth eventually evolved).

It's something of a bummer to realize that all that sweet, sweet oxygen is going to waste on the evolutionary equivalent of Magikarp, but it's also probably for the best.
Now now, every Magikarp eventually turns into a Gyarados. That being said, we may want to invade now and stomp out the potential Magikarp threat before the bloodthirsty Gyarados learn the secrets of space travel and attack us first. Yay preemptive strikes!

Let's get out there and secure our 'plan B'!

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Ryuk2 said:
Meh. It's far, it's (probably) cold, that moon in smaller than our moon and people can't live only with oxygen. How could people get there? Wouldn't air in their space ships run out before they get there? What would people eat while flying? What's to eat there? It's not like we can just fly there and colonize it.
...eh.
And stop talking about religion here! Your the dumbass if you start religious arguments here! Religion never said (i think) that there is no life on other planets.
You don't see religious people coming here and saying ''Oh, that's the place where the God lives, we'll go there and you'll all see that there is a God, har har har. Science sucks!''
Our next step should be to build mass relays. :-D

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Ryuk2 said:
Meh. It's far, it's (probably) cold, that moon in smaller than our moon and people can't live only with oxygen. How could people get there? Wouldn't air in their space ships run out before they get there? What would people eat while flying? What's to eat there? It's not like we can just fly there and colonize it.
...eh.
And stop talking about religion here! Your the dumbass if you start religious arguments here! Religion never said (i think) that there is no life on other planets.
You don't see religious people coming here and saying ''Oh, that's the place where the God lives, we'll go there and you'll all see that there is a God, har har har. Science sucks!''
Exactly most (not all) atheist are just trolls who want to sound smart by putting people beliefs down, I don't run up to you and TELL you to believe what I believe unlike most atheist I've met, however there are Christian that do things like that.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Wow. Feels strange, we might not be alone :p
Well, that seems like a given to me, when you consider the fact that the universe is pretty much endless. It is strange to think that extraterrestrial life could be so close to home, though.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Foggy_Fishburne said:
MAGIKARPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!
THE RECKONING DAY IS COMING!! BOARD UP YOUR WINDOWS AND GET TO YOUR PANIC ROOMS!

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
ryai458 said:
Kiutu said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
We might have been some other life-bearing planet's Jupiter. Suck it Christianity.
back to your bridge troll!
on a more serious note maybe we can use our nukes to melt some ice start shooting now they will get there in 50+ years
Yeah and have those nukes kill the sensitive life forms from who are not used to radioactivity...

Lets start with fire works and work our way up shall we :D

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
Glefistus said:
1) Not much energy from the sun reaching them, so the life forms could only be chemoautotrophs or chemoheterotrophs.
Bio major, I presume?

OT: Pretty sweet, Europa seems a little cold for my tastes, however.