Xbox Live Gets First Officially Recognized Dog Member

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Xbox Live Gets First Officially Recognized Dog Member

After accidentally purchasing 5,000 Microsoft Points while chewing on his owner's Xbox 360 controller, Oscar the dog has been officially recognized by Microsoft as the service's first canine member - and given his own Xbox Live account.

Last week, we learned about the story of Kotaku user Greg [http://kotaku.com/5386863/dog-bites-mans-live-account], whose furry companion - a Lab/Hound mix named Oscar - attacked the Xbox 360 controller while his owner slept. According to Greg, while chewing on the controller, Oscar managed to somehow turn the console on and purchase 5,000 Microsoft Points for his owner's account, which was discovered the following morning when Greg found the confirmation from Microsoft of the $62.50 transaction in his email.

While Greg told Kotaku that he wasn't mad, only mystified - and had already spent the points on downloadable games - the story wasn't quite over. Now there's been an official response from Microsoft [http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=17634]:

"People spend tens of billions of dollars on their pets every year," said a MS spokesperson, "but it's pretty unusual for your pet to return the favor (except in love and tail wagging of course)."

The Redmond-based software giant will be refunding the points, setting Oscar up with his own Xbox Live subscription and gamertag (with some extra points thrown in so the dog can buy 'Splosion Man, of course) and sending Greg a brand-new, not-chewed-on controller.

Man's Best Friend, indeed.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Wow...Microsoft gave back to its community? Has hell frozen over yet? This is really cool =D

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I wonder if it could be possible to train a dog to push buttons on a controller, he wouldn't have a clue what he's doing but sticking him in a game of GoW2 would be hilarious.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Wow...Microsoft gave back to its community? Has hell frozen over yet? This is really cool =D
What? Thats unfair. Microsoft gave me brand new console AND a months free Xbox live subscription... they are cool.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I like this, this is the kind of thing that makes me think that microsoft aren't just after your money.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Evil Jak said:
Mr.Pandah said:
What? Thats unfair. Microsoft gave me brand new console AND a months free Xbox live subscription... they are cool.
I'm assuming thats because your previous Xbox red lighted, rather than they stopped you in the street and gave you a free Xbox 360

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
so all i got to do is buy 10,000 points and say my dog did it and then I don't have to pay for em?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Dog's account name is Oscar K-9 or something like that,if you're intrested.

As for the story... weird,but weirder things happened.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Pipotchi said:
Evil Jak said:
Mr.Pandah said:
I'm assuming thats because your previous Xbox red lighted, rather than they stopped you in the street and gave you a free Xbox 360
Yarp, only took them about 7 days to replace it... even though I was sending it to Germany... and it was an old 360 too.