Xbox Live Gets First Officially Recognized Dog Member

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
That's a cool little story. It would be cool to know the dogs Gamertag, just for the novelty of having a dog as your friend on Live. I wonder if Microsoft will have come up with a cute little doggy avatar for him...:)

That would also be neat. There must indeed be something in the water supply over at MS HQ. This generous act seems almost...human.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Wow...Microsoft gave back to its community? Has hell frozen over yet? This is really cool =D
Hell froze over when i was Incarnated. it thawed

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
That's all I need, it's bad enough getting owned on Left 4 Dead only to find for the last hour your team-mates consisted of a 8 year old and a cat, now we got to have dogs on xbox live as well, great.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
That's so cool. Good on Microsoft for doing that. Plus, if that's a picture of Oscar,"Awww heeees soooo cuuuute! Dawwww widdle gamer puppie doggie!"

*ahem*

lazy_bum

Mar 25, 2009
Stories like this really brighten up my day. pity my cat is inexplicably terrified of my 360, could use some gamer points and he eats anything else that is left lying around. (look on a teachers face when you explain and prove that the cat ate your homework is priceless)

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
ace_of_something said:
The dog probably has a higher IQ than about 95% of the XBL users I've encountered.
I think you're right. Oscar could easily make more intelligent speech than that 95%.

And, good on Microsoft for giving him his points back even when he didn't complain. It's only good publicity for them, but still.

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Aaaw, isn't that the most heart-warming story of media whoredom you've ever read? Let's be real here, if this was about someone's kid doing the exact same thing we probably wouldn't even be reading about it. The fact that its a dog makes the story that much cooler, (and it is a totally cool story, don't misunderstand me) but my problem is how Microsoft very casually turned it into free PR for themselves under the guise of "just being cool about it".

Now that might just be my inner cynic talking, (who, me?) but in a lot of ways I can't blame Microsoft for jumping all over this. I mean hell, all they had to do was send out a controller to the guy which cost them nothing and is probably a $10 write off anyway, create an account for the pooch and notify the media. What better way to get the equivalent of a few million dollars' worth of advertising for free? Even better if they didn't contact the media and the story was just picked up, but this is a multi-billion dollar corporation, so I think that might be stretching it a bit.

Either way they handled the situation intelligently. If had been up to some bean counter or lawyer, I'm guessing the outcome would have been anticlimactic at best. Good thing the PR guys jumped on it first.

How long do you think it will take for the copycats to start popping up, looking for free stuff? "Dear Valve: My ferret stole my credit card and racked up a bunch of purchases on Steam, can I keep the games but get my money back?"

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Holy crap, first EA Rick Rolling Yahtzee, now this? Its like every massive evil cooporation is developing a sense of humour!
you must tell me where you heard this story, I've gotta read it for myself.

OT: Mans best friend is right, shoot if that were my dog he'd be getting a nice steak for scoring me some free stuff. as for the dog getting his own account and GT, I'd make it obvious that it was the dogs account and own at Halo cause you know that(atleast) one stupid person I play with will think that he just got owned by a dog.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Ohoo.. I can't wait to see this dog get good and own everyone in CoD and Halo.