Rumor: Tobey Maguire in Talks For The Hobbit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Tobey Maguire in Talks For The Hobbit

A hot rumor floating around Hollywood has sad-eyed angstmeister The Hobbit [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001497/].

Rumors come and go pretty quickly in the magical movie realm of Hollywood, particularly when it comes to major productions like The Hobbit, the prequel to Peter Jackson's epic Guillermo Del Toro [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/], who just happens to be directing The Hobbit. Furthermore, Maguire added, "We may have something here in the near future."

The site checked with the Spider-Man 5 [http://www.caa.com/], so it seems like a natural fit. His inclusion could also help convince Warner to approve the project, which is currently being developed by Jackson and Del Toro on their own dime.

So what do we think? Will Spider-Man make a good Bilbo, or is there someone better suited to the task? Let's cast this movie!

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I can't read this article with Toby Maguire staring at me like that...

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
His stare is so penetrating, almost.. violating.

But I really hope he keeps far, far away from that film. I don't even want him to see it, never mind 'act' in the thing.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I do not want spiderman to play Bilbo Baggins.

How fun would it be to watch a guy who can turn invisible AND climb on walls?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Dunno, we need someone who can do a good Ian Holm impression. If he caome across as Ian Holm but at fifty instead of eleventy one the certainly, if he's going to be Peter Parker but short(er) feck no!

Then again, any actor taking a character from a guy who's been playing Bagginses since 1981 is never going to have any easy task.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
AkJay said:
Disaster Button said:
I too feel this way...

Should I tell someone? I feel like they'll think I'm a whore... Who do I go to? What if I'm pregnant? What will my parents think? I'll never get a job! My life is ruined! DAMN YOU TOBY! DAMN YOU!

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Guillermo Del Toro, who just happens to be directing The Hobbit.
Wait... Not Peter Jackson!? That's blasphemy!

And would someone tell Tobey Maguire to stop staring? I feel like he can see my insides.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Wait, they're making two more Spiderman films starring Maguire? Huh.
HUBILUB said:

How fun would it be to read about a guy who can turn invisible AND climb on walls?
It would certainly make the part of The Hobbit where the giant spiders capture everyone kind of awkward, wouldn't it?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Ehh....Bilbo was supposed to be somewhat of a middleaged, slightly stuffy upper-middleclass gentleman in the Hobbit (for starters, he get's character development), I don't really know how it'd work with Maguire. Though, I resent the implication (if such is there) that Bilbo needs a young face on him.

Maybe Ian Holm is a bit old, but, someone with a similar bearing would be good. What I'm worrying is who they're going to get to play the dwarves, who are all said and done, the whole initial impetus for the story progression in The Hobbit. Or is it going to end up as Thorin and his oddly stereotypical collection of Dwarfy chums + the fat one?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Wait, they're making two more Spiderman films starring Maguire? Huh.
HUBILUB said:

How fun would it be to read about a guy who can turn invisible AND climb on walls?
It would certainly make the part of The Hobbit where the giant spiders capture everyone kind of awkward, wouldn't it?
Yes, but it could lead to a lot of awesome spider-on-spider action.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
OMG... i can't believe they are doing Spiderman 4 and 5...URGH there goes my happiness!

*sigh* im not sure having him as Bilbo will be very much good. The one who plays Bilbo in Lord Of the Rings was already seen as playing in the Hobbit at the begining of The Fellowship of the Ring when they introduced the ring and you saw the young Bilbo pick it up. Im not sure Tobey will be a fitting match against him... though i have to say, he reminds me a little bit like Elija Wood though, the eyes anyway.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Gxas said:
AkJay said:
Disaster Button said:
I too feel this way...

Should I tell someone? I feel like they'll think I'm a whore... Who do I go to? What if I'm pregnant? What will my parents think? I'll never get a job! My life is ruined! DAMN YOU TOBY! DAMN YOU!
I'm afraid there's only one option, you must flee to Mexico, meet a local boy by the name of Eduardo. Tell him the baby is his and he must care for it, then when it is born dump it on him and run from that sucker. Its his problem now.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
It'll be interesting, he looks a bit like elijah wood, who's supposed to look like a Baggins so who knows?

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Nah Bilbo should be older than Maguire... oh no it's the scary stare anything but that please aaaarrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Edit: ah crap now I'm depressed, are you happy now maguire I'm just like you.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
He was great in The Cider House Rules and I think he has a chance at playing Bilbo. He certainly isn't the best choice, but not a lot of people are these days.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
HUBILUB said:
How fun would it be to watch a guy who can turn invisible AND climb on walls?
Wait, there are people who can't do that? Sucks to be them- I don't know how I'd survive without my invisible spider-parkour sessions.

In all seriousness, while it seems odd to me for Maguire to be taking on this role (I first saw him in Spider-man) it seems like his signature style of youthful innocence combined with introspective Depth (as seen in Pleasantville and, well, Spider-man) would be perfect for the role. Though I wonder why they can't find an actual little person to play Bilbo?