Cayman School Holds Violent Game Round-Up

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cayman School Holds Violent Game Round-Up

A primary school in the Cayman Islands is taking a cue from the German city of Stuttgart and holding an event to round-up and destroy violent videogames.

Scheduled for today, the event seeks to collect and destroy toy weapons and violent videogames as a "symbolic act against violent behavior." School principal Joseph Wallace warned parents against letting their kids play violent games, saying they can have a serious impact on them as they grow older. "Research has showed... that over time, when these kids play the video games constantly... it desensitizes them to the act of violence," he said. "But there's no off button in real life; there's no restart."

The round-up was also endorsed by Cayman Islands Premier McKeeva Bush and West Bay Police Chief Inspector Angelique Howell. "Parents have to be responsible and screen what they are buying for children and what they allow their children to play with," Howell said.

Not everyone sees the destruction of videogames as a worthwhile endeavor, though. "If you have no relationship with your kids and they're locked up in a room with violent video games, I guess you're probably going to have some problems," said Blockbuster Video co-owner Deborah McTaggart. "Do I think we can attribute this to video games? I mean, I don't think the really violent games are good, and there are titles that I don't sell (at Blockbuster). I personally don't like horror movies... But if I don't bring them in, will it stop the violence?"

Her store doesn't sell M-rated games to anyone under the age of 17, but McTaggart said that there was nothing she could do about parents who buy the games for their children. She added that she didn't expect much to come of the school's effort to get rid of the game. "I think you'd have to pry them out of the kids' hands," she said.

The effort is very similar to one held by the Action Alliance in quiet, whimpering end [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95480-German-Group-Holdling-a-Killer-Game-Cull], however; at the end of the day, only five games (and possibly less) were collected.

Coinciding with the event, parents of children at the school were emailed a list of particularly violent games to watch out for: Resident Evil 4, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, God of War, NARC, Killer 7, The Warriors, 50 Cent: Bulletproof, Crime Life: Gang Wars, Condemned: Criminal Origins and True Crime: New York City. Apparently the Caymans have a little catching up to do.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=10387997]

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Yes, I'm so desentified that I can't look at a syringe piercing my skin when I have a flu/allergy shot or I have my blood drawn.

What a bunch of ignorant fascists.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Caymans have a little catching up to do.
Caymans? More like Caveman(s)!
I am so clever...

Although moving along this is just rather silly. It made me imagine the book Fahrenheit 451 but with violent games. That's our future. A group going around and burning violent video games so we don't have violent thoughts. Yeah, because that's going to work.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Absolutely ridiculous. If primary school children are playing games like that it's clearly the parents' fault.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Probably will have the same success as what they did in Germany - 3 games and two cardboard boxes.

DRTJR said:
Didn't Germany do something similar in the 30's
Waaahhh, not this again! Stop it! Stop it! We get it, just stop making nazi references(not aimed at you personally, but it gets really annoying because every third post is about it when something like this is in the news).

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Remember the 80's? When they said Weed, and music would make everyone into killers, rapists, cannibals and would go insane?

Video games is the next scape goat for bad parenting.

*Sigh*

Poor Cavemen -erm Cayman islanders, I will shed a single virtual tear for you.

T_o

That is all.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
These guys must jerk themselves off over ignorance, because they have so much of it they don't know what to do with most of it.

Scikosomatic

Sep 15, 2009
so stupid...and if they really believe in what they're doing, then why aren't they also destroying movies? oh yeah, because MORE adults watch violent movies THAN play video games....fucking hippocrits

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Oh for..... Obviously its games that cause violent behaviour... all those murderers in prison must have played violent video games at some point. And all us gamers who play violent games will one day be murderers.

So basically, in short... the worlds already fooked!!!

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Well, I must admit I'm on their side. This is a primary school, with 'primary' implying 11 and younger. Now, if this was a secondary school it'd be different, but I am 100% opposed to 11-and-unders playing GTA and the like.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
If violent games made us violent the streets would have been awash with blood for over 20 years.

IHaveNoCoolness

Apr 14, 2009
Scheduled for today, the event seeks to collect and destroy toy weapons and violent videogames as a "symbolic act against violent behavior."

I actually like this and support it. They're not rounding up every copy, they're not passing legislation. The primary school is just taking a moment to make a symbolic act against violent behavior. They're not talking about banning these things, they're just bringing awareness to the cause of ending violent behavior...

Is this really that different from feminists burning bras? I mean, I don't think they were going to burn their entire wardrobe, but simply make a statement about the way things were at the time...