UPDATED: New Fallout Coming From Original Fallout Devs

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
UPDATED: New Fallout Coming From Original Fallout Devs

Bethesda has just announced that we'll be getting a new Fallout from the folks who know it best - the original developers.

Due out next year for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, Fallout New Vegas, a new, standalone adventure set in the Fallout universe, is currently under development by Obsidian, the company responsible for Neverwinter Nights 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 and made up of former members of Black Isle Studios - the developers of Fallout and Fallout 2. Bethesda will publish the game.

Bethesda's Pete Hines says the Fallout 3 developers reached out to Obsidian and CEO Feargus Urquhart about creating a new game set in the Fallout universe. Obsidian's response was: "Hell yeah."

Though Fallout 3 was released to critical acclaim, many long-time Fallout fans felt it strayed too far from the franchise's roots. Many also felt betrayed over the controversial decision by Black Isle's parent, Interplay, to scrap a nearly-finished version of a game in 2003 that would have been Fallout 3.

The so-called "Van Buren" Fallout has never seen the light of day, but would have been a more direct continuation of the original series and a direct sequel to Black Isle's Fallout 2. A tech demo of the canceled project was recently leaked to the internet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.41434].

Bethesda would not comment on any specific details, including whether or not Obsidian will be developing New Vegas using the Fallout 3 engine or something more closely approaching Van Buren. When asked, Hines suggested assembled journalists should "Make an educated guess."

More details as we get them, but feel free to speculate here. What would you want from a "real" Fallout game?

B0BX

Dec 24, 2008
Wait, so is it just Obsidian working on this or are they working together with Bethesda?

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
DalekJaas said:
I want to it not to suck like fallout 3
That's not entirely fair, and most of the review staff of magazines around the world would disagree with you. You can raise the "It's not Fallout" argument, and that would have more credence, but saying it out-and-out sucked would be hard to support.

Anyway, the last time Obsidian subcontracted something for another developer in the way of a followup it ended in disaster (KotOR II), but Bethesda have much more relaxed timing constraints.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Don't get the hate of fallout 3, I mean yeah it was a break from teh origionals, but for what it tried to do I feel it did quite well.

Games, like any other medium have to evolve over time to utilise the new technologies available to it. And for a FPS/RPG thing it was pretty decent.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
I want it to have actual CHOICE. Like choosing between impoverishing a city to make it join with another and bolstering its economy to ensure its independence. Or just blow both up. Like choosing between a 10 minute speedrun to the main objective and a 100 hour adventure of storytelling.
And having a "main quest" that railroads you to the endgame simply sucks Enclave mark II Powerarmored balls.

And i want it to be still playable after nominal victory.

Sgt. Dante, complaining about gameplay would be foolish, yes. But hatred for the weak content is righteous Hellpit Wrath.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
As long as Bethesda lets Obsidian do their thing instead of jerking them around like so many companies do this should be interesting.

I hope Obsidian takes the best of Fallouts 1 + 2 and mixes them with the best of 3 myself.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
This could be good. I missed the original Fallouts and hear good things so this could be good.

That said I'm still a bit nervous, I haven't heard much of these guys.

Edit: If they don't put it on a console or make it an exclusive for a single console I may need to kill some things. With an axe. And fire. An axe ON fire. I will not be denied more Fallout excellence just because the developers a PC fanboy.

Lord Kofun

Mar 18, 2009
I never got around to playing the first two Fallout's, but the third was amazing. I am looking forward to giving this game a shot.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
It looks like they will be working together with Obsidian.

I wonder if that means work on TES V is in full swing.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
should be interesting... i want how much inspiration are Obsidian going to take from Bethesda? will it be completely original, going straight back to its roots, or sticking with Bethesda's formula? will it be available for consoles? lots of questions to be asked

Flushfacker

Mar 17, 2009
In related news, there is speculation on a fallout film http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/974/974264p1.html

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Considering how I consider Fallout 2 the peak of the series, I cannot explain with words how happy this makes me.

Especially considering that I enjoyed 3. And might go back to play it a bit more, too.

I'm very, very pleased. :)