Rumor: No Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in 2010

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: No Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in 2010

Valve fanboys, prepare your rage: You might not be finishing Half-Life 2 in 2010, if rumors are to be believed.

Way back in 2007, a particularly caustic-tongued Brit mentioned that beloved PC developer Valve seemed to be missing the point [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10-The-Orange-Box] of "episodic" gaming: Shorter games, shorter development times, cheaper prices. While the Washington-based studio had the "shorter games" and "cheaper prices" parts down, it was struggling with the "shorter development times" bit of the equation.

Again, that was in 2007. It is now 2010, with no end to the after taking a break to learn ASL [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-2-Episode-Pack-Pc/dp/B001440YD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280782305&sr=1-1]).

Not only will there be no Half-Life 2: Episode 3 this year, it's uncertain what form the game will actually take when it releases. Will it be a short episode like the others? Will it be a full-fledged Half-Life 3 to make up for the delay? Will Valve end up saying, "Screw it, let's just work on TF2, Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968960&sr=1-1], and Left 4 Dead 3"?

On the grand scheme of things, between the decade-long development of Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969072&sr=1-1] and the missing-in-action Episode 3, Valve has surpassed fellow notoriously glacial development studio Blizzard in terms of "long development cycles," given that SC2 and D3 are actually playable in some form. But on the bright side, Valve still has a long way to go before reaching 3D Realms territory - after all, its games actually come out ... eventually.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Urge to kill: Rising.....rising.....

John Funk said:
Will Valve end up saying, "Screw it, let's just work on TF2, Portal 2, and Left 4 Dead 3"?
Ummm TF2 is already out John, its quite awesome :D

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
I say Valve needs to just scrap Episode 3 and come out with a full fledged Half Life 3. After the years of waiting will gamers really be satisfied with 3-5 hours or so of gameplay that a release of Episode 3 would bring? I know I certianly wouldn't be.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Actually, I am over this news!. I've decided that as long as no one interferes with the release of Bioshock 2 I can handle this setback.

No biggy!.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ranooth said:

John Funk said:
Will Valve end up saying, "Screw it, let's just work on TF2, Portal 2, and Left 4 Dead 3"?
Yes, but they're still working on updates for the game, no? :p

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
by now i no longer care, sure once it gets an release date, maybe in 2012, I'll wet my fanboy pantys with glee, but now im as dry as ever.

is just realized that it may not be longer than 3-5 hours, and they already have established all their characters, they have their engine ready and no need for marketing, I'm just really realizing this now, what can possible take so long.

Apr 28, 2008
This is why you don't listen to rumors about release dates.
They almost always are wrong.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
If they decide to one week before the game is released say "Oh, did we say HF2 episode 3? We meant Half-life 3" I shall forever sell my soul to Valve.

I'm seriously thinking that they might do just that. That would be complete awesome-sauce, and it would explain why it took so long.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I hate to say it, but I'm really not that surprised. I've learned that with Valve, Half life doesn't seem to be their greatest priority, even when the fanboys love it the most.

But mind you, I never really thought Half Life was that great, so this affects me in no way possible!

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Well, Valve hired the DoTa creator and game him authority to lead a team.

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 White forest - now with more creatures - and God View.

Meh, I'm rambling - these news disfunctioned my brain.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Valve can pretty much do what ever they what and the fanboys will take it up the arse.

I'm sorry, Valve is a great studio, but how long does it take to create 4 to 5 hours of new gameplay? This episode had better be one hell of a fucking ride or I predict massive fanboy riots.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Furburt said:
You know what? I don't care. I'm trying very hard to not care.

However, if it turns out that the game gets released on the same engine, with minor graphical upgrades, a couple of new enemies and no new guns, then you'll be reading about the infamous 'Valve Corporation Massacre' very quickly.
I can bet you that the engine will be the same, with minor graphical updates.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
John Funk said:
Ranooth said:

John Funk said:
Yes, but they're still working on updates for the game, no? :p
Nicely played good sir.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Looks like good old Duke Nukem Forever might have stiff competition for the Vapourware awards this year.