Rumor: No Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in 2010

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
tf2 has been out for a while...

let us hope that this rumor turns out to be just that: a rumor. I want to finish this thing! Don't leave us wanting revenge for over 4 years!

Aft3rShock

May 2, 2008
They're probably too scared to make any more half-life games because of the expectations that fanboys (me included) have. At least we don't expect LFD3, TF2/3, or Portal 2 to be life-changingly spectacular.... except for maybe Portal 2....

Also, Valve is known for playtesting the CRAP out of EVERYTHING. If something goes awry in playtesting they re-vamp the whole game because Valve fans expect nothing less than a near-perfect gameplay experience. But the games are worth the wait, and from what I can tell from interviews and director's commentaries, the extensive playtesting is a huge reason why Valve games perform so well.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
No Team Fortress 2 updates for the 360 (or PS3), no Earthbound on virtual console, Mondo Nations taking a long time.

Oh yeah, and this. I'm sort of getting used to waiting for things, though.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
I can wait.

I got plently of games this year to keep me happy.

When it is released it better be worth the wait.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
I had a dream yesterday about E3 2010. Valve was showing a trailer with clips from every Half-Life game (the tram sections or equivalent) fading in and out with the year they were released.

"Now the Final Chapter"
Title Drop. Half-Life: Episode 3
Suddenly. The "Episode" vanishes.
"Christmas 2010"

Fanboys cheer out madly at the announcement of HL3

Let's hope it comes true.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh well, I'll just have to hunt down Missing Information and all the other 'alternate' versions of Half Life 2, it's amazing how much they hacked out of that game, mind boggling even.

Here's hoping for a extra huge epic in the vein of Half Life 2's intended design.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Just give us something!

Concept art, screen-shots...something that tells us you're even working on the thing.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, I've pretty much forgotten about HL2:Ep3. I'll go worry about other things until it's out, or Valve gives us some news about it.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Furburt said:
Journeythroughhell said:
I can bet you that the engine will be the same, with minor graphical updates.
*cocks shotgun*
Hey! Source engine is still cool. On his last run but still cool. Episode 3 will probably be the last Valve game built on Source. Or maybe the first built on a new engine who knows?

I hope that it's still Source just to give a continuity feeling. ^^ Maybe the next Half Life chapter(if there's a new one) will be on a different engine.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
It's been almost 3 years since the release of episode 2. It took Valve 6 years from Half Life 1 to Half Life 2. It only took 14 months between episodes 1 and 2. At this point they may as well release a full fledged game, because for this long of a wait and development cycle for the amount of content that these expansion packs have will be a huge letdown.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I honestly not that surprised. Why do I get the feeling that it will be released on 2012? [small](Not that I think it will happen)[/small]

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will never see the light of day. Half-Life 3 on the other hand... Keep your eyes open at E3.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
I hate to say it, but I'm really not that surprised. I've learned that with Valve, Half life doesn't seem to be their greatest priority, even when the fanboys love it the most.

But mind you, I never really thought Half Life was that great, so this affects me in no way possible!
My sentiments exactly. Must suck to be one of the big fans of the series, though. They're probably a little more than annoyed at this.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Dear Valve,
How long does it take to slap something pasable together in a toolset and sell it to us? We care not for ASL (Subtitles exist, and the vast majority of your clientele won't use the feature). We'll even forgive the fiasco with Left 4 Dead and DLC (but we still want The Passing. mmm, zoey), and the time it's taken you to give us nothing about Ep 3.
We have money, you want money. So give us HL2: Ep 3 and you can have our money.
Thank you :)

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I have no faith that they're actually even working on it. Or even have a story down. Sorry Valve you know I love you but I don't trust you.