Final Fantasy 13 To Ship on 3 DVDs

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Final Fantasy 13 To Ship on 3 DVDs

Square-Enix confirms that the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy 13 [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1] will be on 3 DVDs.

Yesterday, the videogame rental website, Gamefly, listed on its FF13 page [http://www.gamefly.com/game/xbox-360/Final-Fantasy-XIII/138550/] the following information, "NOTE: This is a three disc game, but it only counts as one disc against your rental plan." A short time later, a Square-Enix representative confirmed that the cinematics-heavy RPG will indeed ship on 3 separate discs for use with the Xbox 360. FF13 came out in Japan on the PS3 only in December and is due out for the rest of the world on March 9th for both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

"Yes, the game is on three DVDs for the 360," the anonymous representative from Square-Enix said. But he stressed that there will not be a large amount of changing between discs during play.

"Players will only have to swap discs twice during their entire game," he said.

Many guessed that the long cinematics of the genre would necessitate multiple DVDs for FF13, with Square hinting at such way back in August, but this is the first confirmation that the team hit their magic number [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97532-Mounds-of-Content-Cut-from-Final-Fantasy-XIII] of 3 discs.

PlayStation 3 owners will not have to deal with changing discs as the game will ship on 1 Blu-ray disc.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/02/confirmed-ffxiii-360-to-ship-on-3-dvds/]

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Well, Blue Dragon was on 3 discs already, so it's not unheard of... The question is: how bored will the players be by the cutscenes?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Man, we'll have to switch two times during our entire playtime? Jeez, who would've thought, considering there are 3 discs?

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Interesting... well not really, but it's bound to be interesting to tohers.
Viruzzo said:
how bored will the players be by the cutscenes?
Probably ranging from "Can take them or leave them" to "Why won't they skip?"

Apr 28, 2008
Disk swapping isn't all that bad.

Sure its a little annoying, but since its like a 10 second ordeal in a 30+ hour game, it can't be that bad.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Man, we'll have to switch two times during our entire playtime? Jeez, who would've thought, considering there are 3 discs?
I had to swap Mass Effect 2's discs twice, and there are only two.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Yeah, I was stunned by the revelation too. Now, if they were to make a game on N discs that required N-2 swaps...

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Why do they even have to mention the disk changing? Have people honestly become so lazy that the thought of getting up and changing a disk a few times is a deal breaker? Are there really people out there going "WHAT!? This is some crap right here, you mean I have to frackin' get up and change a disk!? What next? I have to get up to turn my console off or go to the bathroom!? Yeah next I'll have to do my own laundry or something."

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
But Blue Dragon was cack, however Lost Oddessy was one four discs and that was pretty good.

However 3 Discs vs one Blu ray, plus all I have is a PS3 so no contest really

Apr 28, 2008
Pirce said:
Why do they even have to mention the disk changing? Have people honestly become so lazy that the thought of getting up and changing a disk a few times is a deal breaker? Are there really people out there going "WHAT!? This is some crap right here, you mean I have to frackin' get up and change a disk!? What next? I have to get up to turn my console off or go to the bathroom!? Yeah next I'll have to do my own laundry or something."
Unfortunatly, a good chunk of people have become that lazy.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
TheNumber1Zero said:
Mr.Pandah said:
The point I was trying to make though was more along the lines of "awww its gonna hurt my pretty little fingers and my fat ass to get up two times over the course of a 30+ hour game". But I am curious as to why you had to swap Mass Effect 2 twice, now that you meantion it.

Kailat777

Oct 28, 2008
That doesn't even sound like it would be an issue. It's certainly not the first final fantasy game to ship on multiple discs. If I recall, numbers 8 and 9 required 4 discs.

Are some people really swayed that much by having to swap discs?

Apr 28, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
TheNumber1Zero said:
Mr.Pandah said:
The point I was trying to make though was more along the lines of "awww its gonna hurt my pretty little fingers and my fat ass to get up two times over the course of a 30+ hour game". But I am curious as to why you had to swap Mass Effect 2 twice, now that you meantion it.
Because the first disk essentially had the beggining and ending on it. The second had all the exploration and side quests.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Irridium said:
Pirce said:
Unfortunatly, a good chunk of people have become that lazy.
Okay that is it then, from this point on I'm going to change my degree and start on my life's work of genetically engineering a creature that preys on humans. Release a rather large amount of them into the world. No longer being on top of the food chain should give humanity a rather nice boot to the ass.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Considering that the PS3 version comes in at about 39 GB of stuff, I'm impressed that they stuffed it on 3 DVDs.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
The point I was trying to make though was more along the lines of "aww its gonna hurt my pretty little fingers and my fat ass to get up two times over the course of a 30+ hour game". But I am curious as to why you had to swap Mass Effect 2 twice, now that you mention it.
I'm not quite sure. It asked me to swap discs when I did my first Loyalty mission, and asked me to switch them again when I went to the final boss mission. Most odd.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
TheNumber1Zero said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Oddly enough I did it three times. I had so switch from disc 1 to 2 when starting Jacob's loyalty mission, back to 1 for another side mission at one point and then thee was another disc swap right when I went through the Omega 4 Relay, which I'm fairly sure is the one that they planned.

I didn't really mind, to be honest. didn't feel inconvenient at all.