Final Fantasy 13 To Ship on 3 DVDs

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Too bad they cut out shitloads of content because it was over three discs and anything over three discs has extra royalties. Thanks Xbox 360................

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Joe Deadman said:
DuplicateValue said:
Joe Deadman said:
Jiraiya72 said:
3? It would be more if they hadn't cut half the game for the 360.
Source please.
They didn't cut it, they just lowered the resolution as far as I know. There's an article somewhere on this site about it, I think.
I know im just pointing out that that's a baseless claim to make. I would be suprised if he actually found one.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97532-Mounds-of-Content-Cut-from-Final-Fantasy-XIII

It's actually linked in the main article of this thread as "hit the magic number" Though it's not in pure factual data one of the people who worked on it said it was a sizible amount removed if it isn't the same length as the remaining game.

So yeah my opinion of what the 360 might do to FF13 is still unchanged from when it was 1st announced.

Edit: P.S. mentioning you only have to change disc twice is important it could ment several areas are one time events or that for the main story you won't need to back track much. I mean they could have set it up to save on memory every cutscene and one time affair or one time dungeon you go to is all on disc 3 and the world is on disc 1 & 2 with every City on 1 (Doesn't sound very logical but they would cut down on duplicate data on multiple disc that way.)

P.P.S. Didn't a 360 game come on 4 disc but they made the fourth disc come in a paper case inside the main case while the 1st three had normal slots? Maybe they didn't want a repeat of that.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
oh noez! however shall i survive extending my arm

lucky ps3 owners...they don't need to extend their arms

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Joe Deadman said:
I think it's going to be kinda nostalgic and multiple disks always gave me something to aim for back then. I'm just happy we're getting it on the xbox 360.
edit:
Jiraiya72 said:
3? It would be more if they hadn't cut half the game for the 360.
Source please.
He doesn't, he's just spouting fanboy crap again.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Also, to above: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97532-Mounds-of-Content-Cut-from-Final-Fantasy-XIII

One thing people are forgetting, is if any one of those DVDs gets scratched. You're beyond hosed. You just instantly lost 1/3rd of your game. That's why I've always hated multidisc games. I took great care of my discs and I still have them all in working condition, but no thanks to the stupid jewelcases they came in. I immediately took them out and placed them in a softcase.

Bluray laser is more sensitive, so the coating is a lot stronger. I've never been able to scratch my blu-ray discs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RN8o9K6O0I

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Xersues said:
One thing people are forgetting, is if any one of those DVDs gets scratched. You're beyond hosed. You just instantly lost 1/3rd of your game. That's why I've always hated multidisc games. I took great care of my discs and I still have them all in working condition, but no thanks to the stupid jewelcases they came in. I immediately took them out and placed them in a softcase.

Bluray laser is more sensitive, so the coating is a lot stronger. I've never been able to scratch my blu-ray discs.

Or you could learn to not leave the games out of the case, the only thing needed to not scratch games is to put them back in the case when you finish playing them. I've still got pristine PS1 games because I made a habit of putting the games back in the case when I was done with them. Sensing the pattern yet? Put your toys away when you are done with them, and they won't get ruined.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Pirce said:
Why do they even have to mention the disk changing?
They're mentioning it to clarify that you'll be switching discs in order, once per disc, as opposed to needing to swap between discs as you enter/leave different areas. The latter could be far far more annoying.

Lucane said:
Though it's not in pure factual data one of the people who worked on it said it was a sizible amount removed if it isn't the same length as the remaining game.
That was content removed from the game design in general over the course of development, not content removed from the Xbox 360 version as compared to the PS3.

The only likely difference between the two versions will be things like texture/cutscene resolutions, alternate audio tracks, that sort of thing. Unless the games are compared directly, most people won't even notice.

Plinglebob said:
Now here's the difficult question. Do I buy it on the Xbox, as I like the sense of progression disk swapping gives, or shall I get it on the PS3 for continuity as I've always played Final Fantasy games using the Dual Shock.
Get it for whichever system you like playing on the most. I'll probably be going with the 360 version - I prefer the controller, the Marketplace on 360 is infinitely better when the inevitable DLC is released, and I can install the game discs directly to the system hard drive, which will probably make for the lowest load times of any version.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
asinann said:
Sensing the pattern yet? Put your toys away when you are done with them, and they won't get ruined.
This is why we can't have nice things ;)

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Xersues said:

Yeah i'd say that could be a problem I just hope they don't just stick them on a single spindle like they did with last remnant. I wouldn't mind something like this:
But overall multiple disks can be a problem like that but like I said i'm just glad we're getting it.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
asinann said:
Xersues said:

Or you could learn to not leave the games out of the case, the only thing needed to not scratch games is to put them back in the case when you finish playing them. I've still got pristine PS1 games because I made a habit of putting the games back in the case when I was done with them. Sensing the pattern yet? Put your toys away when you are done with them, and they won't get ruined.
Obviously didn't read what I wrote. Many jewel cases either stuff them on one spindle, or have terrible design. I took care of my stuff. But no thanks to the manufacturers. But thanks for reading!

Not to mention console defects and scratching the disc for whatever reason. The more discs a game has, the higher probability over a given time, that one of them will just get trashed.

I'm all for higher grade discs, and better casing. Being a tard and scratching your own discs is not the issue I'm talking about.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
You switch disc to play a different game anyway, I don't see why this is a problem. The Final Fantasy's on PS1 came on 4 discs.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Recent games have a tendency to be a little non-linear or open world, i'm not sure how that'd pan out over 3 disks but then again it's an FF game :p

I'm assuming each disk has a partition for one-time events. So there could be only 1.5 dvds worth of content but a lot of it had to be copied to make sure you're not having to insert a new disk just to explore the other half of the world.

Might not be too bad :)

Although i'm facepalming furiously at anyone that's argueing that 3 disks is better than 1.
It's not THAT bad but it's definatly not better, the xbox doesn't have to be a winner all the time.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Xersues said:
asinann said:
Xersues said:

Obviously didn't read what I wrote. Many jewel cases either stuff them on one spindle, or have terrible design. I took care of my stuff. But no thanks to the manufacturers. But thanks for reading!

Not to mention console defects and scratching the disc for whatever reason. The more discs a game has, the higher probability over a given time, that one of them will just get trashed.

I'm all for higher grade discs, and better casing. Being a tard and scratching your own discs is not the issue I'm talking about.
Those softcases are actually worse for your discs than the jewelcases you hate so much. Though the cases they are putting games in now are stupid, one spindle for 3 discs is retarded. But by using softcases you are opening your games to scratches and cracks. Hard cases are there to prevent that, softcases are just to make moving them around in large numbers easier.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Virgil said:
Lucane said:
Though it's not in pure factual data one of the people who worked on it said it was a sizible amount removed if it isn't the same length as the remaining game.
That was content removed from the game design in general over the course of development, not content removed from the Xbox 360 version as compared to the PS3.

The only likely difference between the two versions will be things like texture/cutscene resolutions, alternate audio tracks, that sort of thing. Unless the games are compared directly, most people won't even notice.
I wasn't implying that the 360's final version had less content than the PS3's final version just that an announcement stating so much count being cut (At such a late time it sounded like time constraints or memory space issues to me.)It seems some what posssible it'd be done to keep both versions similar to keep down further disc with redunant data.

[I'm not a programmer but correct me if I'm wrong about something.]

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I was promised four! I am disappoint.

Seriously though, I have some of the old Final Fantasy games for the PS1 that came on multiple discs, I never had a problem with it.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I couldn't help but laugh "players will only have to swap discs twice during gameplay". You reckon? See, I could have sworn you'd have to do it more than that. Oh well, I'm still going to buy it, and be inevitably dissapointed. Nothing can live up to X in my opinion.