L.A. Noire No Longer a PS3 Exclusive

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
L.A. Noire No Longer a PS3 Exclusive

Long delayed film-noir mystery game L.A. Noire [http://www.amazon.com/Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279054861&sr=1-1] is no longer a PlayStation 3 exclusive, and will be coming to the Xbox 360 as well.

You can be forgiven for being a little fuzzy on what L.A. Noire is all about, as it's been a while since we've heard anything about it. Announced back in 2006, with a release window of 'between November 2008 and September 2009' - which it missed incidentally - L.A. Noire has been a long time coming, and for the longest time, the game was going to be a PlayStation 3 exclusive.

But in the post announcing that L.A. Noire would be the cover story for the upcoming March issue of Game Informer, it was confirmed [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/02/04/march-cover-revealed.aspx?PageIndex=2] by Game Informer writer Matt Kato that that was no longer the case: "It's not a PS3-exclusive," he said. "It was at one point, but it's coming out for the PS3 and 360 ... I really hope the game goes deep into a whole seedy, L.A. Confidential/crooked L.A.P.D./Chinatown vibe."

L.A. Noire is described as "an open-ended challenge to solve a series of gruesome murders" set in "the classic noir period of the late 1940's", and as a long-time fan of Raymond Chandler and his Phil Marlowe [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Marlowe] character, I've been looking forward to this game for a while. It's been a long time since there's been a game that really tackled that hard-boiled genre with any real style, and no game has really touched it since Max Payne. As a fan of the genre, I'm glad that more people are going to get a chance to play this.

Now; what system to get it for?

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62248]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ohh...Looks good. I loved the noir detective "Hotel Dusk" for the DS.

YAY! Now my 360 gets this kind of game.

Makeshift Koala

Aug 20, 2009
ohhh i remember hearing about this... i remember being a little miffed that it was a ps3 exclusive.. i think.. it looks rather interesting so i may keep my eye on it... mainly cos it looks a wee bit like heavy rain in the 1950's.. which is as close as i can get to heavy rain with and xbox 360... darn.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
I always enjoy a mystery story. Hopefully this will be a good one

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I thought that was Agent that was ps3.

Haven't they been working on this so long it was originally for the ps2 and original xbox?

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Yey now I can get a game I have never heard of!

Going by the other hugely delayed games that have been released and been cack, im not expecting anything good.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ohh...Looks good. I loved Hotel Dusk for the DS.

YAY! Now my 360 gets it.
Same! That will be good fun to play! hehe...the DS game was epic

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
why the hell arnt any of these great console games coming to pc ffs?! >_< I love these kind of games. *is still pissed Fable 2 wasnt a pc release so you can imagine how irked I've become with many other non pc releases*

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I've never heard of this game, but it sounds awesome. And I'm a 360 owner, so hurray for me.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Sounds fun, even if I've never heard of it before.

But to the point, who wants to start taking bets this becomes the new Duke Nukem Forever?

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I have never heard of this game before in my life, but it sounds great. Will probably still end up getting it for PS3 though.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Couldn't care less, considering nobodies really heard of the game, including myself.

Dec 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ohh...Looks good. I loved the noir detective "Hotel Dusk" for the DS.

YAY! Now my 360 gets this kind of game.
Indeed, more games need to have the feel of that game.

sidereal_day

Feb 5, 2010
Simalacrum said:
Couldn't care less, considering nobodies really heard of the game, including myself.
Honestly, why did you take the time to post that you "couldn't care less" about the game? Did you really think everyone was on the edge of their seat thinking "Okay, yeah, the obligatory 'hurray for this game!' post from Omikron009, but what does Simalacrum think of it?!!"

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
Oh, you bas-

One of the games I bought my PS3 for is going multi-system!?

Typical.

Anyway, yeah, looking forward to this game, have been for awhile.

[small]Speaking of games no-ones heard of, was there a PS3-exclusive involving Superpowers? I keep thinking of Infamous, but I know that's not it... Anyone knows, PM me?[/small]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
All I've ever heard about this game is the title. *yawn*

Also, who in their right mind expects a third party title to be exclusive anymore?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
sidereal_day said:
Simalacrum said:
Honestly, why did you take the time to post that you "couldn't care less" about the game? Did you really think everyone was on the edge of their seat thinking "Okay, yeah, the obligatory 'hurray for this game!' post from Omikron009, but what does Simalacrum think of it?!!"
...oookay?

In the same way, why did you take the time to post about how you didn't like my post? Or, infact, why do any of us post anything at all for that matter?

Because its opinion. It doesn't matter if its the most interesting post in the world, we all have opinions and are free to express them (to a degree) on the forums.

My opinion was that I don't really care about the game. Its not a very interesting opinion, but it is my opinion nonetheless. THAT is why I took my time to post it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well I'm guessing the project wasn't good enough for Sony to pay them enough to keep it exclusive. Either that or it was taking so long they didn't want to pump money into it.

That said, like "Heavy Rain" my attitude about this one is still very "wait and see". For the most part this stuff seems like a return to adventure gaming and the later interactive movies. As I've said before, I wasn't especially enthusiastic about them the first time around, so we'll see what happens.

As odd as it sounds the mystery plots are also a mixed bag. I remember one game that was vaguely similar to what is being done here called "Ripper" (I think) which was a cyberpunk mystery game, where the killer was randomly selected from a list of possibilities, and could be someone differant each time you played, so you had to be careful with the clues. Neither this or "Heavy Rain" see to be even trying to be that varied from what I've seen, though going for a very similar overall style of game.