Valve: No Half-Baked Mini-Games for Natal, Please

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve: No Half-Baked Mini-Games for Natal, Please

Left 4 Dead [http://www.l4d.com] writer Chet Faliszek says Project Natal is really cool but hopes that other studios won't waste the technology by creating nothing but "tiresome" mini-games for it.

Project Natal [http://www.valvesoftware.com/], Microsoft's planned motion control system for the Xbox 360, is "really cool," but Faliszek said how far that goes depends entirely upon what game makers do with it. If you've ever played a motion-controlled game in the past, you should have a pretty good idea of what he's worried about: Flailing your arms like an idiot to pop balloons and bounce balls is a novelty for about 15 seconds, after which it becomes less fun and more embarrassing with each passing moment.

"Hopefully we've gotten past the point of mini-games," Faliszek told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235859&site=cvg]. Making a motion with his arm, he said, "I'm sick of that. That's not a game for me anymore. Let's get some real interaction going."

"We have these technologies now that let us interact in different, really exciting ways. It's developers' jobs to do something with it. Impress me," he continued. "Don't just make shitty games I wouldn't want to play if I had to use a joystick."

He was hesitant to commit Valve to supporting the device anytime soon, but promised that if and when it did, it wouldn't just be for the sake of having it in the game. "We'll see," he said. "You won't have to make the arm movement of sawing off a zombie's head in some tiresome mini-game. I can promise you that."

The Passing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96856-Valve-Announces-First-L4D2-DLC-Featuring-Original-Survivors] DLC for Valve's online zombie shooter Left 4 Dead 2 is slated for release in March.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
They're gonna be there. But not nearly as much as there were for the Wii and DS.

Because only Nintendo's consoles has the NAME recognition (who doesn't know Nintendo? Even desert hermits know Nintendo) to pull off MASS CASUAL GAME profit.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Valve:Speaking my mind.

This is what I fear Natal will be,just another eyetoy used for mini-games.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
They're gonna be there. But not nearly as much as there were for the Wii and DS.

Because only Nintendo's consoles has the NAME recognition (who doesn't know Nintendo? Even desert hermits know Nintendo) to pull off MASS CASUAL GAME profit.
I dunno, a lot of smaller developers use the XNA or whatever its called (my flatmates talk about it all the time but i forget) to make small games that can be sold on the Marketplace. They could easily look at Natal is a gimmick to make a quick buck.

As i've said with Natal on countless occasions, we will have to wait and see.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ranooth said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I dunno, a lot of smaller developers use the XNA or whatever its called (my flatmates talk about it all the time but i forget) to make small games that can be sold on the Marketplace. They could easily look at Natal is a gimmick to make a quick buck.

The indie games thing? Yeah...but can those people even get Natal dev kits?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Hopefully someone will do a nice fencing game... with light sabres!!!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ranooth said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Who knows? I think they will, this is "Micro$oft" after all.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I like the part about The Passing at the bottom, especially since it really has nothing to do with anything else in the article (except the last line, and they only mention "zombie" there, nothing about L4D).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Here here!

How about some innovative stuff, eh? Like that cancelled finger-puppet brawler.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's like asking the Wii not to have shovelware.

Natal's only reason for existing is to draw in the non-gaming audience.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
I like the part about The Passing at the bottom, especially since it really has nothing to do with anything else in the article (except the last line, and they only mention "zombie" there, nothing about L4D).
Of course, he was referring to that *other* Valve franchise that might feature hacking zombie heads off! What's it called... The name escapes me...

[sub]The above was meant in jest, no venom at all[/sub]

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ranooth said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ranooth said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

No it's not. The Natal is made by Microsoft. Micro$oft is a company made up by morons who don't understand the concept of busniess.

OT - I've been saying this all along, but I guess it's down to the developers, now. RTSs and RPGs would be amazing on the Natal, but someone has to make them...

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Chipperz said:
Ranooth said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ranooth said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

No it's not. The Natal is made by Microsoft. Micro$oft is a company made up by morons who don't understand the concept of busniess.

OT - I've been saying this all along, but I guess it's down to the developers, now. RTSs and RPGs would be amazing on the Natal, but someone has to make them...
Yeah they don't understand the concept of business, that's why they're doing so well.

Sarcasm aside I'd like to point out that the Wii and the DS are not the first consoles to get overrun by half-baked minigame shovelware *cough*PS1 and PS2*cough*

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure Natal will have its fair share of gimmicky games, but i think that good developers will still be able to make great games for it.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

wait, did you just imply, that nintendo is more well known than... microsoft?