Valve: No Half-Baked Mini-Games for Natal, Please

powercall

Jun 21, 2008
I dont Know how to really feel about natal I'm just ignoring it since every preview for it IS casual mini game Nintendo like crap. Like what was said about avatars: if you want a mii get a wii.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
My hope is it will work really well and not become a beacon to lure the wii's shovelware ships to my xbox coastal port. I mean damn Xbox has you sitting with a headset glued to your noggin most of the time and they still haven't bothered placing voice controls in games and yet we are moving into room filling body scanning devices. Baby steps people.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Zannah said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
They're gonna be there. But not nearly as much as there were for the Wii and DS.

Because only Nintendo's consoles has the NAME recognition (who doesn't know Nintendo? Even desert hermits know Nintendo) to pull off MASS CASUAL GAME profit.
wait, did you just imply, that nintendo is more well known than... microsoft?
On the whole, no. (Windows and all that)

But for games, YES.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I agree. If we are to even attempt to embrace Natal. We need proper games!!!

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Chipperz said:
No it's not. The Natal is made by Microsoft. Micro$oft is a company made up by morons who don't understand the concept of busniess.

OT - I've been saying this all along, but I guess it's down to the developers, now. RTSs and RPGs would be amazing on the Natal, but someone has to make them...
Yeah they don't understand the concept of business, that's why they're doing so well.

Sarcasm aside I'd like to point out that the Wii and the DS are not the first consoles to get overrun by half-baked minigame shovelware *cough*PS1 and PS2*cough*
Read what I wrote again and get back to me. If you really don't see where your sarcasm went wrong, answers are in the spoiler tag;

The point I was making is that Microsoft is a real company. Micro$oft is a name made up by people who somehow think Microsoft is evil for making money, which makes them morons who don't understand how business works.

I'm well aware that the people at Microsoft know how business work. That is why they're successful.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I hope game developers don't take the minigame route, but it is always good to know that valve won't

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Minigames is all Natal will be able to handle, thanks to the lack of analog sticks.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
Well, I expected Valve to take this stance. It usually takes them a few eons to release a new game, so I can't possibly imagine them supporting people developing for the Natal because it's new and has already been done a thousand times.

But we all know that the first year or so of the Natal will feature, "Move arm to move on-screen character's arm so he can perform tasks!" There's simply no hiding from it.

...And let's not forget that I'm probably too lazy to even TRY playing a game entirely by moving my limbs around in the confined space of my bedroom, but, hey, those crazy kids love their Nintendo Wii.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Valve has absolutely no right to talk about 'mini-games' since they are so wonderfully able to fart on episodic gaming.

CrazT

Sep 19, 2009
So, Valve are spending their time telling other game developers what not to do with Project Natal, instead of making Half-Life 2: Episode 3...

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Ah, Valve... i can always count on you to make quality desisions, games and-

OMFG!!!111!! y u not relece ep 3!!!1111

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
"Hopefully we've gotten past the point of mini-games,"
As long as there are video game companies who are solely out to make as much money as possible with the least amount of effort, we will never get past that point.

And this is just wishful thinking, really. What will likely happen with Natal is it will get a few games that brilliantly take advantage of it and a lot of shovelware. You can expect this to happen with the Playstation Wand as well, come to think of it.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Successful game developers are successful for a reason.
Good on you Valve, good on you. You tell those shovelware makers what's what.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
CrazT said:
So, Valve are spending their time telling other game developers what not to do with Project Natal, instead of making Half-Life 2: Episode 3...
Yes, because we all know the entire company has to grind to a halt and watch whenever Chet makes any kind of statement to the press.

Or maybe... They don't.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
wordsmith said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I like the part about The Passing at the bottom, especially since it really has nothing to do with anything else in the article (except the last line, and they only mention "zombie" there, nothing about L4D).
Of course, he was referring to that *other* Valve franchise that might feature hacking zombie heads off! What's it called... The name escapes me...

[sub]The above was meant in jest, no venom at all[/sub]
Half-life?