Valve: No Half-Baked Mini-Games for Natal, Please

anon_10

Nov 30, 2009
hopefully these minigames arnt trying to be full games and stick to the arcade thats wat it is for arcade games/minigames are ok aslong as they arnt marketed as full games!!!

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I love Valve, but they have a lot more opinions then they do games. When interviewed they can decry the PS3 and worry about Natal all they want, but hearing about Episode 3 or something is like pulling teeth.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
"Don't just make shitty games I wouldn't want to play if I had to use a joystick."
More people should listen to this. Seriously, what is wrong with gaming today? :/

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
Good old Valve. Warms the cockles of my heart.

EDIT: I also really wish people would lay off the Episode 3 stuff.

I want it to come out, they know everyone wants it to come out. It seems like they can't do anything without people reminding them what they "Should" be doing.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
now i just had an idea, what if the melle combat of deadrising had an option (not mandatory) of being controled via natal? that might actually work if you can get it to read right.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
You know, I am entirely against Natal or PS3's magic-wand or whatever the hell it is.

Oh, yeah, they look so cool when demonstrated on a stage, but who really wants to play a game like that? I mean really? When are people going to realize that we're more interested in games than we are with gimmicky add-ons and childish toys?

The part that really grinds my gears:

The fact that Sony and Microsoft are slowing down their plans for next-gen consoles because they want to put out the motion crap. Yay. I use my PC as my primary gaming device, while I also own all the Wii, PS3, and 360. So nothing against the average console gamer, but us PC gamers are being held back by the consoles. We've been waiting years for games to go full DirectX 10 or 11, or with new features, etc. but the old generation consoles can't do it. We have to wait for the next-gen consoles. So with this 'motion' crap, it's going to be another 2 years.

Fuck!

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
All Natal is going to be used for is Shovelware. As Casual Shinji said, Microsoft just want to bring in the casuals and kiddies.

one of them

Jan 16, 2010
What else could possibly be done with Natal?
I mean it's practically an advanced Eye Toy. The games released on it are most likely going to be in the Mini-Game format. It's hard to imagine anything else.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
I think its a forlorn hope, Natal will likely become as much of a shovelware platform as the Wii sadly has, then 3rd party publishers will all come out whinging about how its so hard to make money from it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
They're gonna be there. But not nearly as much as there were for the Wii and DS.

Because only Nintendo's consoles has the NAME recognition (who doesn't know Nintendo? Even desert hermits know Nintendo) to pull off MASS CASUAL GAME profit.
Well, it isn't just Nintendo. The Eyetoy had just a collection of mini games... And it sunk. So, you need some real titles as well. Which Nintendo has, I just wish they'd cut back and make some more "real" games for us.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
brunothepig said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
They're gonna be there. But not nearly as much as there were for the Wii and DS.

Because only Nintendo's consoles has the NAME recognition (who doesn't know Nintendo? Even desert hermits know Nintendo) to pull off MASS CASUAL GAME profit.
Well, it isn't just Nintendo. The Eyetoy had just a collection of mini games... And it sunk. So, you need some real titles as well. Which Nintendo has, I just wish they'd cut back and make some more "real" games for us.
But Nintendo's stuff SELLS.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Valve knows gaming all too well. Motion control is the biggest excuse to cut out the quality and just put out some good old fashioned crap made to work with motion controllers. One of my favourite games on the Wii is Resident Evil 4. That game was actually improved by adding motion controller to it, but it also gave the player an option to use a GameCube controller. Then we got a bunch of the crappy ones put out on the Wii, sadly for a former Nintendo fanboy (I don't hate Nintendo now, I just stopped caring) such as myself there are too many to mention half of them. I am guessing that at least half of the Nintendo games are games that could have been released 10 years ago and the only difference is that we got a motion controller. Some of them don't even have that (I know about a chess game that didn't use motion control for one).

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
He's right, you know. But the sad thing is, they're going to be there no matter what. No use to try and stop it.

CrazT said:
So, Valve are spending their time telling other game developers what not to do with Project Natal, instead of making Half-Life 2: Episode 3...
What... this is the writer for Left 4 Dead. Because one person says something that doesn't have to do with Episode 3, it means the whole company has shut down and canceled the game? Please, sorry for picking you out but seriously, would you rather have a crappy Episode 3 out right now or a phenomenal Episode 3 out later this year? It gets old listening to people complain about Valve not making Episode 3 when they obviously are but it's just taking a while.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
Valve has absolutely no right to talk about 'mini-games' since they are so wonderfully able to fart on episodic gaming.
episodic gaming by which you mean those games that are hours long and not at all minigames? I agree with valve even though their recent activites have been awful and ruined its professional community(looking at you left 4 dead 2).

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Or let's just not go with motion controllers because they're stupid as hell. Or OPTIONALLY to please more than one crowd, make them optional with games, unlike nintendo who force their motion controls into everything.

No I really don't want to shake the controller to throw a grenade, that's DUMB. And has left me with no legs more often than I'd like to admit.

Jan 29, 2009
"You won't have to make the arm movement of sawing off a zombie's head in some tiresome mini-game. I can promise you that."
Phew, that's good to know!