A View From the Road: PokeMMOn

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Is Pokemon actually a Massively Multiplayer Offline RPG?

Read Full Article

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I thought of that idea for a while but, there are plenty of indie gamers who have made one (there not very good) and the fact is pokemon is a single player game with a multi player appeal.

AddytheGreat

May 25, 2009
Im sure I saw an advert for an "Official Pokemon MMOG"

Dont think that was entirely legit though...

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
The chances of Nintendo ever making a PC game are slim enough. However, a Poke'mon MMO is something I would absolutely LOVE to see. I started a Poke'mon MMO Petition on Facebook not long ago. It did the trick for Wispas so it may do the trick for this. (Not to be taken seriously).

It has such amazing potential though. The amazing huge free world, the finding, capturing and training of Poke'mon. And don't forget battling. I think an MMO is pretty much Poke'mon's destiny.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
AddytheGreat said:
Im sure I saw an advert for an "Official Pokemon MMOG"

Dont think that was entirely legit though...
I have too. I saw it on youtube then looked it up, and it was an indie game.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
I bet it will be made by the time the DS2 comes out. Man portability with the power of of a Gamecube, HOT DAMN that would be an amazing game.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
Nivag said:
It has such amazing potential though. The amazing huge free world, the finding, capturing and training of Poke'mon. And don't forget battling. I think an MMO is pretty much Poke'mon's destiny.
Sounds all great and amazing, until you try to balance bazillions of little critters at once.

A pokemon mmo sounds great at first thought, but it starts to crack when you put more thought into this, how would a pokemon mmo handle endgame?
I remember the hunter pet-balancing in wow, if you have 400different beasts, players will just find 3-10 "best" ones and everyone will run around carrying the same stuff.

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
Moriarty said:
Nivag said:
Sounds all great and amazing, until you try to balance bazillions of little critters at once.

A pokemon sounds great at first thought, but it starts to crack when you put more thought into this, how would a pokemon mmo handle endgame?
I remember the hunter pet-balancing in wow, if you have 400different beasts, players will just find 3-10 "best" ones and everyone will run around carrying the same stuff.
In competitive play people already do that.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Moriarty said:
Nivag said:

A pokemon mmo sounds great at first thought, but it starts to crack when you put more thought into this, how would a pokemon mmo handle endgame?
Already the case, endgame pokemon is pretty number crunchy, and has entire websites dedicated to theorycraft much the same as WoW, I mean the game is pretty balanced in on the DS, I mean sure there's some stuff like Wobuffet that's pretty op but for the most part it's a good system.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Moriarty said:
Nivag said:

I'm thinking the most realistic way would be to only implement the first generation, at least to start with, and also try to reflect which Pokémon are rare and powerful, IE there's only one of the legendary birds on each server etc. This might counteract the players who all catch the same creatures. It would also give enormous amounts of respect to the one who's flying his Zapdos over Pallet Town. Though, he's probably a dick.

Anyway, it's a great premise, but hard to develop, I'm afraid. That said, though, if turned into reality, I'd be all over it like the last cupcake on Christmas.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
"Catching Them All" is a stupid, stupid goal, and you should be ashamed for even trying it, especially if you actually succeeded. After all, what was your reward? OH, THAT'S RIGHT, NOTHING. Except a sticker or ribbon or something.

Seriously, a pokemon MMO could work. As for balance and shit. TIER LISTS. God tiers can't PvP with Upper and Lower tiers.

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
Before we focus on an MMOG lets focus on a 3D Wii version that is similar to the normal games, not a crappy sin off that makes you catch shadow pokemon...

But an MMOG would be AMAZING!

Sep 4, 2009
Main advantage of keeping it offline: maintaining a younger demographic. A 4 year old wants to play Pokemon with his friend...

...offline: harmless

...but online? you need adult supervision factored in there. You need to design an interface and set of rules to prevent griefing and bullying(good luck with that). You need to do EVERYTHING perfect to prevent a moral panic or media scandal. A Pokemon MMO is a poison chalice.

Which brings the question up: What's so great about 4 year olds to a games company?

Answer - 4 years ago they weren't around. They see Pokemon for the first time when the new game comes out. They want it. And they don't find the concept jaded or boring. How could they? They haven't been alive for long enough to be bored with it, or to see the cartoon reruns a hundred times.

So its bought for them. Since parents see kids playing together at the very least they'll think its better than a young child sitting along playing games, so they're probably happier buying Pokemon than most one player games.

Keep selling to 4 year olds and you have STEADY SOURCE OF REVENUE (Heck, I bet all these annual Gameboy restylings and special editions are done for this exact reason). Which is madness* to abandon as a business model, especially with the global economy so messed up.

*Madness. Not Sparta.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I have been saying this for forever and a day. My brother, who plays WoW and other online games like that, argued me that the MMO community would never embrace Pokemon as an MMO, but I've argued that's not the community they would be after. I mean, I've never paid for an MMO in my life, and I'm generally a cheap bastard, but if there was a Pokemon offering, I would pay for it. Nintendo is foolish for ignoring this.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Nothing to stop them keep selling for the DS, besides the main player base for pokemon is Twenty something, pokemon is actually quite advanced and nerdy once you get to the endgame stuff, also you do NOT need to do everything kiddy friendly and perfectly to stop a moral scandal, I dont see WoW, WaR, Eve or anything ever having created a scandal.

Besides I hardly see a 4yo having the concentration to play a Pokemon MMO online, they;d be catering to the older demographic, the one's who want a pokemon MMO, like myself.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
John Funk said:

Is Pokemon actually a Massively Multiplayer Offline RPG?

Read Full Article
Bro, I did the same thing with my starter. Vaporeon: Unstoppable.

Also, wasn't there a fan-made Poke'mon MMO?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Interesting idea. I want to get back into the Pokémon scene, I haven't bought a game in years, and as soon as I get a DS, I'm buying Soul Silver. (But I still want a bloody remake of Crystal!) The Gold/Silver generation was in my opinion the best. It had the best of all Pokémons, and it didn't do too much. Another example of the theory "First game good, second game awesome, third game less than awesome"

Metaphor

Mar 11, 2010
If I see someone playing their copy of Pokemon, I can walk up to them and challenge them to a battle
Or, you can take into account the userbase of ShoddyBattle and NetBattle, and just do it randomly.

*cough* Mystery Dungeon *cough* Although, that does sound like you are describing the OU tier of regular match-ups.