A View From the Road: PokeMMOn

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Perhaps next generation?
I'm thinking, the game would be playable on both Wii2 and DS2, with the same world and so on, but the graphics are slightly worse on the DS2 of course. So you can play it at home on your Wii2, and then take your adventures with you on the train or bus with your DS2 or something.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
A pokemon MMo? YOu are asking nintendo to be original and creative with this series?

It will just be more of the same, aka boring grinding game in a world that doesnt make sense.

I could be good. But with the way nintendo does thing around pokemon, its very unlikely imho.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
"Catching Them All" is a stupid, stupid goal, and you should be ashamed for even trying it, especially if you actually succeeded. After all, what was your reward? OH, THAT'S RIGHT, NOTHING. Except a sticker or ribbon or something.

Seriously, a pokemon MMO could work. As for balance and shit. TIER LISTS. God tiers can't PvP with Upper and Lower tiers.
Well, in Pokemon Diamond, if you catch them all you get into a new area.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
EHKOS said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
"Catching Them All" is a stupid, stupid goal, and you should be ashamed for even trying it, especially if you actually succeeded. After all, what was your reward? OH, THAT'S RIGHT, NOTHING. Except a sticker or ribbon or something.

Seriously, a pokemon MMO could work. As for balance and shit. TIER LISTS. God tiers can't PvP with Upper and Lower tiers.
Well, in Pokemon Diamond, if you catch them all you get into a new area.
You talking the National Dex, which just required that you SEE all of the Sinnoh natives? And then opened up the game to allow MOAR pokemon?

Or a reward for actually having 450+ pokedex data entries?

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
I've thought about this idea for ages, I'm surprised Nintendo haven't seized the initiative on this, it's the ideal cash cow for them. Problem is, I know Nintendo won't because the idea doesn't sit well with their "demographic".

But this is the perfect idea for Nintendo, and (I know I will get a bit of flak for this) one that could possible rival that damnable king of MMOs, World of Warcraft. Why? The answer is simple. Pokemon isn't based on the typical scavenger hunt/kill x amount of these quests, it's about dedication, time and patience to crafting a perfect blend of strengths between a set number of Pokemon, plus you factor all the different lands and gyms you could include, fiddle with the challenge ratings a little and viola, you have a ranking system (you ain't going to so quickly approach someone with 8 more badges than you for example!).

The best thing about a Pokemon MMO would be that, unlike World of Warcraft and it's 10 billion clones, it wouldn't be about attaining the highest level (well, it would kind of, but between several Pokemon as opposed to the single character) but about personal achievements and tactics. It's personalise your experience to a degree that World of Warcraft can't.

Come on Nintendo, you know you want to!

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Sounds like a great idea.
However i wouldn't have any interest in playing it.. Mainly because i know there will be some serious hardcore gamers out there ready to "rape" you at every turn..

Plus.. would you have to fight every trainer you meet? Because that would really take the piss.

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
And the good commenter said, "Amen, son. Amen."

I think it could happen, but the possibility of an MMOG that Nintendo would create could make-or-break quite easily. I'd still love to see it happen, but realistically it won't happen while I'm in my student career.

And kudos, Mr. Funk. I counter your Eevee with my Growlithe. =P

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Mozza444 said:
However i wouldn't have any interest in playing it.. Mainly because i know there will be some serious hardcore gamers out there ready to "rape" you at every turn..

Plus.. would you have to fight every trainer you meet? Because that would really take the piss.
Go the Lord of the Rings Online/Guild Wars route... instance the wild areas. That way, you can still have the turn based battles without messing up player interaction. Either that or only battle when you both agree, like how you agree on duels in World of Warcraft. I think the former would use up less server space though...

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Steampunk Viking said:
Mozza444 said:

Go the Lord of the Rings Online/Guild Wars route... instance the wild areas. That way, you can still have the turn based battles without messing up player interaction. Either that or only battle when you both agree, like how you agree on duels in World of Warcraft. I think the former would use up less server space though...
In that case it would work.

It would be awesome in 3D though.

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Just the thought of a Pokémon MMORPG that has the same atmosphere as the handheld games makes me wet my panties.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Maybe the NPCs are really humans who had their brains put into the game, like Nintendo captured people and downloaded a part of them into their games!!!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Moriarty said:
Nivag said:
It has such amazing potential though. The amazing huge free world, the finding, capturing and training of Poke'mon. And don't forget battling. I think an MMO is pretty much Poke'mon's destiny.
Sounds all great and amazing, until you try to balance bazillions of little critters at once.

A pokemon mmo sounds great at first thought, but it starts to crack when you put more thought into this, how would a pokemon mmo handle endgame?
I remember the hunter pet-balancing in wow, if you have 400different beasts, players will just find 3-10 "best" ones and everyone will run around carrying the same stuff.
they could just use the original 150, then maybe add expansions, instead of doing it all at once.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Steampunk Viking said:
I've thought about this idea for ages, I'm surprised Nintendo haven't seized the initiative on this, it's the ideal cash cow for them. Problem is, I know Nintendo won't because the idea doesn't sit well with their "demographic".

But this is the perfect idea for Nintendo, and (I know I will get a bit of flak for this) one that could possible rival that damnable king of MMOs, World of Warcraft. Why? The answer is simple. Pokemon isn't based on the typical scavenger hunt/kill x amount of these quests, it's about dedication, time and patience to crafting a perfect blend of strengths between a set number of Pokemon, plus you factor all the different lands and gyms you could include, fiddle with the challenge ratings a little and viola, you have a ranking system (you ain't going to so quickly approach someone with 8 more badges than you for example!).

The best thing about a Pokemon MMO would be that, unlike World of Warcraft and it's 10 billion clones, it wouldn't be about attaining the highest level (well, it would kind of, but between several Pokemon as opposed to the single character) but about personal achievements and tactics. It's personalise your experience to a degree that World of Warcraft can't.

Come on Nintendo, you know you want to!
Nintendo dost even have to create it, a another gaming company could easily ask permission to create it, get all the copyright stuff sorted and hey presto, that way Nintendo still gets money, the company gets to make the game and we get to battle each other and start with which ever Pokemon we like =D

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Douk said:
A game where your pokemon follows you and its actual size would kick so much ass.
"hey look at my cute growlith ^_^"

"urm yeh look behind me"

O,O "urm...hello Gyarados"

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
theultimateend said:
If they ever make a pokemon MMO they might as well just proclaim me dead because I will vanish off the radar till my reserves of money dry up.

Orcus_35 said:
what would the world have become without the invention of Pokemon? i wonder that every now and then...
A dry boring husk of repetetive FPS sequels that never innovate and MMO after MMO that is dry and lacking trying feverishly to be better than the one that managed to just be itself.
`
Oh...shit...So basically the exact same thing.
their would still be Digimon ^_^ =O Digimon MMO! *cough cough* sorry! de-railed the train =(

Ed.

Jan 14, 2010
They would have to do a few things to stop it getting silly

Scale gyms so that they get harder so each gym would have loads of versions that get progressively harder regardless of the order you do them

actual player tournaments

some mechanism to stop slippery slop maybe anything over X level is bound to its home region + some neutral region

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You know, I'd never thought of Pokemon in this way, admitedly I haven't actually played a traditional pokemon game since Red, Blue, and Yellow (I stuck to the stadium/colosseum series after that)

I can say with utmost confidence I would camp out overnight for a chance to play an actual factual Pokemon MMO, if only to relive the golden age of my childhood.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I've always hoped that there would someday be a Pokemon MMO, and even though the concept is still good, it would be hard to actually make.

Firstly, you need to make sure that all age groups are separated, or that there's some sort of supervision against bullying, harassment, etc, which is not a very easy task, considering most of the people who play Pokemon are older than 11 years old (like myself).

Next, it'll be impossible to apply the turn based combat into an MMO, where several player are on all at once. The system would have to change to a real-time battle, and there would need to be a way to prevent people from interrupting fights. They could make it so that people just stand next to each other when they want to fight, and then enter some sort of invisible battle arena, similar to the way Colosseum and XD, and keep the whole turn-based combat thing, but it would be awesome if one could spectate battles as well, considering they have time to spare.

Another thing to make sure of is that EVERY Pokemon is available for capture and that there are infinite numbers of them. This would make sure that some pricks don't go and capture all the legendaries or other rare Pokemon, and keep them unless that get some lv100 uber EV trained monster.

Also, how would everyone be able to fight Gyms/Pokemon Leagues? If everyone took turns, then there would be one hell of a lineup. If entering a Gym/League disconnects you from online play, then it would seem plausible.

However, the final note would be that the game needs to be incredibly balanced. All Pokemon at similar levels should have the opportunity to be fatal towards another one, but usually higher level, evolutions, and legendaries, would have the upper hand. There would need to be a way that you can beat one region, with your lv50 team, but then be able to fairly challenge the next; however, this could be avoided if they made one new region, and made the original regions just side-quests or something like that.

The final thing is that everyone would be watning some sort of World Tournament-like sort of competition. This sort of thing might be a bit difficult to create since there might be several thousands of players online, all wanting to join the tourney. Maybe server-based or region (where the player lives, not game region) tournaments a take place, and the winners of the servers get to compete in a world-wide tournament. Or they could just forget about the whole concept.

I would love to see a Pokemon MMO, but only if it was worth playing. Let's just hope that we'll get it, if it is coming, in the near future.

NOTE: Am expecting snipping from those wishing to reply.