Sony Gives up on 'Arrogant' Ads

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Gives up on 'Arrogant' Ads

SCEA's head of marketing Peter Dille has said that Sony has given up on the cryptic ads of the past.

Sony's marketing of the PS3 has had its ups and downs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/context-sensitive/7278-Context-Sensitive-Who-Is-the-PS3-For], to the point that even the head of marketing for SCEA Peter Dille admits that Sony's early efforts were a little baffling. Speaking at the MI6 marketing conference, Dille said that Sony struggled to communicate the value of the PS3, and that efforts to seem intriguing and mysterious came off as intimidating and arrogant.

Dille says that that is a thing of the past now, however, in favour of the much more enagaging, and entertaining Kevin Butler [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/kevin+butler]: "With our campaign now, we kind of knocked off all those obstacles," he said. "The arrogance I think has gone away. We kind of gotten back to our mojo with the sense of humour that people came to know and love with early PlayStation advertising."

"I think it's just a more likable connection to the consumer. The campaign is working to drive hardware sales. You're going to continue to see Kevin Butler highlighting new content that is hitting the platform. That will include PlayStation Move later this year and also 3D."

Dille added that sales of the PS3 rose 184% after the introduction of the new campaign, which goes to show that being straightforward with your marketing can sometimes be the best policy.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38356/Sony-The-arrogance-has-gone-away]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Huzzah! Kevin Butler is amazing, shame WE UK don't have him and just have some weirdo saying "Start" doing this.

Calumon: I wanna Start Playing! I wanna Start Playing!

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Hurrar i do have to say I have a PS3 not 360 but microsoft has been kicking sony's ass in marketing for a long time

irishdude

Feb 4, 2009
[Gavo said:
]Dang. These were actually very amusing to watch.
i think he means the older ads, the ones with the baby and stuff! not "it only does everything" ads

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Anything is an improvement on those godawful commercials they were running before.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
jamesworkshop said:
Hurrar i do have to say I have a PS3 not 360 but microsoft has been kicking sony's ass in marketing for a long time
Not really, the recent Stimulus Map Pack ad for MW2 in the UK made no sense whatsoever

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Yes Sony's ad change was for the better and Kevin Butler is pure awesome.

Hell, I went on PSN Store through my PSP and found a section dedicated to Kevin Butler ads and they were free. I downloaded all of them, they were awesome.

Apr 28, 2008
hehe, Keving Butler already did a Playstation Move ad.

Its amazing, and actually kind of makes me want it:

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
also helps that the start of the Kevin Butler era started with the $299 price point announcement. which is probably a huge contributing factor to the 184% increase :p

but yes long live Kevin Butler and his VP of random Sony Departments!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wel, see how it works for them. I kind of wish we had this kind of stuff on UK tv though

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Hey, as long as there's Kevin Butler, I'm game. I don't even have a PS3, and I still love that man.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
I just wonder what the "We are not 3rd graders to go pew pew." means then.
Aside KB (he's made of win) all I seem to find from Sony marketing team is bashing other companies.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I'm starting to kind of dig Sony and the PS3. I have a PSP-1000 and love it. I just need to get a few more games on it. A PS3 definitely seems possible in the future. I just need to get over my hate of the Playstation controller. I have always hated it, ever since the PSone.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Irridium said:
hehe, Keving Butler already did a Playstation Move ad.

Its amazing, and actually kind of makes me want it:

Thats just sold Playstation Move to me! His ads are awesome.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Megacherv said:
jamesworkshop said:
Not really, the recent Stimulus Map Pack ad for MW2 in the UK made no sense whatsoever
yeah but 360 actually got one same with FF13

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Kiithid said:
I just wonder what the "We are not 3rd graders to go pew pew." means then.
Aside KB (he's made of win) all I seem to find from Sony marketing team is bashing other companies.
This.

Also, I find no shortage of irony in the fact that they launch the "it only does everything" campaign as they remove features (back compat, Linux installs). *shrug*