Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Features Gameplay, Cynicism

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Features Gameplay, Cynicism

Do you want a CoD: Black Ops trailer that's a bit more substantial than the first one? Do you want a trailer that tells you that everything you know is a lie? Great, we've got you covered.

The CoD: Black Ops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100391-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Trailer-Induces-a-Flashback] released at the beginning of the month was enough to get fans of the series excited, but there wasn't much else. The majority of the trailer took place in some sort of laboratory, with brief flashes of action spliced into the middle - but this latest "Reveal Trailer" is all about the action, all the time.

It's also all about telling you that what you think you know is a lie. "Just because they write it down and call it history doesn't make it the truth. / We live in a world where seeing is not believing." In other words, what you think happened - what the official story is - isn't the truth, because these Black Ops are off the books.

For being off the books, there sure is a lot of stuff blowing up. You'd think that'd be pretty hard to keep secret.

As predicted, there's plenty of Vietnam-ish jungle action going on, but also what appears to be a snow level or two. Considering that the game takes place during the Cold War, and that Russia has quite a few areas that tend to get snowed on, I don't think we should be surprised if we end up going to Siberia.

Does this trailer have you excited? If not, what about the news that Black Ops will have Zombie-killing mode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100684-Treyarch-Confirms-Dedicated-Servers-for-Black-Ops]?

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/05/19/new-call-of-duty-black-ops-trailer-believes-in-nothing-lebowski/])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The zombie mode is still the thing that has me most excited.

Can't wait to see a reprise of the old favourite.

Although, intresting changes of scenery...liked look of Snow levels

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Strange how it is meant to be in the cold war and Vietnam era, yet they are using weapons made well after that.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
I WANT!!!

Looks like its going to have interesting scenery and who doesn't want to shoot terrorists in the nads with explosive bolts

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I find it funny that this looks identical to MW2

Russia and Snow
Sunny and rebels (Brazil=/=Vietnam apparantly)
Explosions
Some sort of mountaineering/base jumping activity
Vehicle sections
More Russia

LEAVE RUSSIA ALONE! THEY'RE NOT THE ENEMY ANY MORE

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
A crossbow....seriously?

There I was thinking 'realism' couldnt go much further down hill after akimbo was put in.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Is it just me or does the squat leader with the headband look like an asshole?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
GrinningManiac said:
LEAVE RUSSIA ALONE! THEY'RE NOT THE ENEMY ANY MORE
Who else are the American game companies going use as a foreign strawman?

I do agree, I'm really sick of all these 'Russians r bad' ideas in games. In things sent in the Cold War its not really that bad, but I'm absolutely amazed how companies are setting up Russians in-game as some kind of naturally evil, dictator-like, war-mongering people. They don't dive into the ideology or the reasons why they fight, they just fight cause the plot demands it. All I'm asking for is an explanation to why they're doing this, and a complex plot like 'Russians disguised as Americans gunned down people in an airport so clearly they'd invade the Eastern Seaboard cause that's what Russians do' doesn't do it for me.

flaming_squirrel said:
A crossbow....seriously?

There I was thinking 'realism' couldnt go much further down hill after akimbo was put in.
Last time I checked, crossbows were real :p Although I've only seen diagrams and concept ideas for exploding crossbow bolts.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
I think Treyarch just moved up into the big boy school. Looks awesome for once from that team.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Darkstar370 said:
ultimateownage said:
Strange how it is meant to be in the cold war and Vietnam era, yet they are using weapons made well after that.
Any example?
That fancy steyr bullpup ar, first used in 9178.

Also, those explosions look like absolute crap, are they recording those from the wii version or something?

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
A crossbow....seriously?

You know those things called games that people use for escapism? You know, to get away from the 'real' life to try and enjoy themselves in a fantastic world of bizarre happenings? Good, I'm glad you're familiar with it.

I can't say I'm excited, it is, after all, another Call of Duty, but hey, I'll pick it up and play it with my friends for a few months.