E3 2010: Nintendo Formally Reveals Its 3DS, Kid Icarus

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
E3 2010: Nintendo Formally Reveals Its 3DS, Kid Icarus

Nintendo formally revealed its 3D gaming handheld at E3 2010, and while it didn't show off the glasses-free 3D, it did show off a new Kid Icarus holy crap.

At its E3 2010 press conference, Nintendo closed by showing off something we all knew was coming: The Nintendo 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99347-Nintendo-Reveals-New-3D-Handheld] handheld. Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata stressed that the device's top screen would feature full 3D without the need to wear awkward glasses or buy thousands of dollars of hardware.

While Iwata did not show off any of the 3DS' 3D display (understandably so - how do you make it look good for everyone viewing on a 2D screen at home?) he did state that it would have always-on WiFi, and claimed that it would have the most third party support of any Nintendo console at launch.

He also revealed a very old friend: The lone angel Pit, main character of Kid Icarus - yes, that's right. There will be a new Kid Icarus at launch.

Other developers and franchises that have signed on to the 3DS include Kingdom Hearts (Square Enix), Resident Evil (Capcom), Saints' Row (THQ), and Metal Gear Solid (Konami).

The 3DS will also play 3D movies, like How To Train Your Dragon - but will it play Avatar?

We'll know how well it works when we visit the Nintendo booth later this week.

It's worth mentioning that despite the name, Nintendo has stressed that this is not just another DS, like the DSi or Lite. This is entirely new hardware like the DS was to the Game Boy Advanced - it just happens to have a familiar shell thanks to backwards compatibility with DS titles.

Greg Tito has more from the Nintendo E3 Conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101374-E3-2010-From-the-Nintendo-Press-Conference].

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
So how many DS have there been now.

OT:I can't see any visual diffrence it's like they stuck a diffrent brand on to a exsisting product and are re-selling it. Oh wait the analog stick.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Oh Nintendo when will you do away with the terrible gimmicks and just focus on quality games.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Main thing I want to see is how it works...ie/ can people with sight problems and lazy eye use it

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
This is when Nintendo annoy me. Because soon the comments about how much more original they are flow in, despite the 3DS simply being a DS with the things its competitors have added on. What's unique about the PSP? Analogue stick. Well shove one on the DS, rename it and pretend its a new idea, the slide pad. What's good about games on iTouch? Motion and touch combined, well shove motion into it.
And with Kid Icarus returning that puts Nintendo's active IP count to what? 4?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
What's all this crap about 3D gaming lately? It won't work!

At least I'm very sceptical. Unless people tell me it's a revelation in gaming I won't get it.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Nintendo just won E3. I watched the whole conference with the guys on IRC and we're all spent. We were sceptical at first but we all agree that was 'epic' to use Nintendo's own word.

Apr 28, 2008
Nintendo wins E3.

The only casual stuff I saw was Nintendogs and Wii Party.

So basically they just made Microsoft their *****, and Sony is probably cowering somewhere.

Also, the new Kirby is the most adorable thing I have ever seen!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
Nintendo just won E3. I watched the whole conference with the guys on IRC and we're all spent. We were sceptical at first but we all agree that was 'epic' to use Nintendo's own word.
Indeed, Nintendo's conference was seriously impressive.

Sony has a hell of a task if they want to beat it!

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
John Funk said:
new Kid Icarus holy crap
Thats all I can say to this news. I'm a very happy person now.

As for the 3DS, well lets see if it works. When I get it in my hands and see what it does I will be interested. Till then, all the tech specs and shots in the world aren't going to convince me it works.

Won't stop me getting it on launch day mind ;).

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good thing I waited to buy a DS. Now I can just pick up one of these babies when they come out.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
sephiroth1991 said:

OT:I can't see any visual diffrence it's like they stuck a diffrent brand on to a exsisting product and are re-selling it. Oh wait the analog stick.
It's a code name, it is actually the next generation handheld, not a DS revision.. AND it offically as powerful as a gamecube, but if rumors are to be believed it's almost as powerful as current gen consoles, personally Imma say it'll end up being more powerful than the PSP at least. We shall see

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Professor Layton 3d puzzles, I'm sold.
Oh and guys who hate 3d or have sight problems, you can toggle how much 3d you want at any time or turn it off entirely.

As for wii games that press conference was amazing, never thought a Zelda game would be one of the least interesting/suprising.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
I loved Kid's opening line from the video, freakin' brilliant.
Though I find it hard to believe that all of the gameplay was on a handheld...
What kind of a battery does the 3DS have?!

Irridium said:
Nintendo wins E3.

The only casual stuff I saw was Nintendogs and Wii Party.

So basically they just made Microsoft their *****, and Sony is probably cowering somewhere.
My, my, Irridium.
That's a pretty bold statement.
I guess we'll see in about an hour and a half, but until then my money is still on Sony.
They just need Kevin Butler to host it.
If they don't talk too muh about their sales figures, then I'll be even better.
I just wish that my ps3 worked at the moment because this YLOD-business has got to stop.
Losing all of your data twice is a real pain.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
elvor0 said:
sephiroth1991 said:

It's a code name, it is actually the next generation handheld, not a DS revision.. AND it offically as powerful as a gamecube, but if rumors are to be believed it's almost as powerful as current gen consoles, personally Imma say it'll end up being more powerful than the PSP at least. We shall see
So the name is a lie and the picture is a lie, but if its as powerful as a gamecube. I may raise my eyebrow. Isn't the PSP at the level of a Ps2 so wouldn't it be stronger anyway if its at the level of a gamecube.

mathadawg

Jun 17, 2009
Considering how bad Microsoft's press conference was, I was seriously impressed with what Nintendo did. Microsoft didn't really announce anything new (besides the nicer looking 360), while Nintendo announced and showed so many games, while hyping up the 3DS and showing a very good library for it (Seriously? Saints Row? I don't know whether to be excited or to facepalm). I can't wait to see what Sony will do, because it will be very tough to beat what Nintendo just dished out... that is unless they have something amazing up their sleeve.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
but what about the resident evil, assasins creed, metal gear, saints row, dj hero 3d, new nintendogs, and kingdom hearts, and madden games that were annouced for the system

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
sephiroth1991 said:
elvor0 said:
sephiroth1991 said:

So the name is a lie and the picture is a lie, but if its as powerful as a gamecube. I may raise my eyebrow. Isn't the PSP at the level of a Ps2 so wouldn't it be stronger anyway if its at the level of a gamecube.
The name is a CODENAME, much the same as Project Natal, Nintendo have been saying the 3ds is a code name all the while people've known about it's existance, and the design is nice, why change it drastically from the DS? As for the PSP thing I always thought the cube was less powerful, but whatever which ever one's more powerful it's stronger than that most likely.