New MMOG PS3 Controller Splices Keyboard With Sixaxis

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New MMOG PS3 Controller Splices Keyboard With Sixaxis

A newly-unveiled PS3 accessory will make MMOGs on the console much more appealing to PC gamers, but other users might be turned off by the controller's size and looks.

Sony has a couple of big MMOGs coming to the PS3 in the near future, primarily peripheral manufacturer believes that console gamers are going to want a full-sized keyboard to use, and had a keyboard/controller hybrid for the console on display at E3.

While wandering the show floor, Joystiq's JC Fletcher spotted the device and snagged the photo at right. The "PS3 MMO Controller" is massive, and more than a little ugly, but it certainly looks like it'd be an effective way to play an MMOG on the PS3 and communicate with your friends/teammates. That said, I'm not really sure a lot of gamers are going to want to invest in something this bulky as a console accessory.

The unit on display is actually a concept model, so nothing is set in stone right now. That also means that Hori has yet to confirm anything definite like a release date or a price.

This kind of a device seems like a bit of a gamble, since some MMOG developers are making an effort to create gameplay that's actually intuitive to console controllers and bypass the need for a device as massive as this. That said, the controller will certainly make in-game messaging a lot easier.

Source: Joystiq

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Eh it looks...ok...probably should wait for other companies to throw their share into the ring to find a better alternative though.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
I don't understand why they don't just bypass the issue completely, and just bundle the game with a USB keyboard.

I mean really, I'm a console gamer, and I appreciate the efforts these guys are going to try and bring their media to a broader audience, but MMORPGs have a hard time adapting to a controller. Trust me, I was one of a few thousand that played Everquest: Online Adventures for the few years that the game thrived.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
AHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA! That thing looks ridiculous. Just buy mmo's on the pc, stop trying to steal the pc's genre, it isn't working.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Wow, that looks like some aged old crappy keyboard from the 90's. It should really come in black...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
ultimateownage said:
AHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA! That thing looks ridiculous. Just buy mmo's on the pc, stop trying to steal the pc's genre, it isn't working.
Amen.

Though Xbox360's messaging plug-in works like a charm if you ask me so it has some chance.
Anything, no matter how dumb looking, has a buyer somewhere... I'm not him thought...

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
So essentially you're turning games consoles into PCs? I can see the PS4 and the Xbox 720 competing with Apple's Macs soon enough.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
ultimateownage said:
Amen.

Though Xbox360's messaging plug-in works like a charm if you ask me so it has some chance.
That was what I was expecting.. not... this

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I'm waiting patiently for a Mouse and Keyboard replacement for a console. Cmon PS3! Do it already!

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
That looks HORRIFIC. It looks like a Commodore 64. It looks incredibly un-ergonomic. Just so much fail... I am sure it is functional but really how hard is it to make a functional keyboard? It's gotta be stylish and comfortable too!

Sparky12

Nov 23, 2009
Surely that's not the final, refined design?
And anyway, if they want something with keyboard capabilities and sixaxis, why not go with something like the perigrine glove? I mean, sure, its expensive, but then, what isn't these days for the ps3?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting...but looks like something straight out of the 80s in design...

SteelStallion said:
Why bother...? Just get a PC, lol.
With the performance test they brought out, and the scores alot of people are getting on it...its not looking too good on PC for the mass audience at the moment, lol

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
What the hell is that? Did I stumble through one of TimeLord's time windows again? Really, someone should take his kettles away, these holes are dangerous. Yesterday I had two raptors in my kitchen, thank god I've watched Jurassic Park like 50 times...

Anyway, that looks like the keyboard from the Win 95 I have lieing around somewhere in a closet. I appreciate their effort but I prefer my MMOs on the PC.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Wow... Are they still making things that colour?

It looks like a third party junk accessory from the PSone era.

Can't you just use a USB keyboard? Logitech ones are pretty sweet.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I'd buy that for a dollar.

I don't see the point in this when I'm pretty sure you can just use a normal keyboard plugged straight in.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
It looks like something from the 80s... And I don't know about you, but I have had all my consoles in the living room. The coffee table isn't too convenient for a keyboard.