New MMOG PS3 Controller Splices Keyboard With Sixaxis

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
hers a better idea why not just attach a usb mouse and a nice usb Num pad to bind as hotkeys that will make it small and comfortable.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
ultimateownage said:
AHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA! That thing looks ridiculous. Just buy mmo's on the pc, stop trying to steal the pc's genre, it isn't working.
ahahahahahah! pc fanboy.

um... maybe they make MMOG for ps3 becuase not everyone has a good pc? every thought of that?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Korten12 said:
ultimateownage said:
AHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA! That thing looks ridiculous. Just buy mmo's on the pc, stop trying to steal the pc's genre, it isn't working.
ahahahahahah! pc fanboy.

um... maybe they make MMOG for ps3 becuase not everyone has a good pc? every thought of that?
Have you seen the MMO's specs? You don't need a good computer for them. And no, I'm not a pc fanboy, but I can accept that some genres are better made for certain control styles.

TheDukester

Aug 2, 2008
Wait, why can't you just use a USB keyboard with a PS3 controller in your lap? I thought PS3 could work with keyboards?

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
lol a keyboard with game controls attached! Isn't the one thing you want for a MMO interface a mouse? You know... quickly and accurately selecting stuff on screen? Abilities, characters, menu items.

If that's the case players should be using a SplitFish like hardcore FPS nuts do, and apparently Move is also good for the same. Compliment that with a USB keyboard or use a headset to chat and voila.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
burntheartist said:
Sevre90210 said:
So essentially you're turning games consoles into PCs? I can see the PS4 and the Xbox 720 competing with Apple's Macs soon enough.
But you can't really game on a Mac...
Well you can nowadays, they're releasing more and more games for it. Steam offer just under 100 games for it.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
It doesn't look very practical at all. The keyboard is a bit too big and that.....thing on the left looks like it would be awkward to use. As others have said it looks like they just pulled this thing straight out of the 80's.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
LockeDown said:
I don't understand why they don't just bypass the issue completely, and just bundle the game with a USB keyboard.

I mean really, I'm a console gamer, and I appreciate the efforts these guys are going to try and bring their media to a broader audience, but MMORPGs have a hard time adapting to a controller. Trust me, I was one of a few thousand that played Everquest: Online Adventures for the few years that the game thrived.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There are USB ports, why can't I just plug in my own keyboard in there? I probably could, though I have no use for it now, but you get the idea.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
burntheartist said:
Sevre90210 said:
burntheartist said:
Sevre90210 said:
So essentially you're turning games consoles into PCs? I can see the PS4 and the Xbox 720 competing with Apple's Macs soon enough.
But you can't really game on a Mac...
Well you can nowadays, they're releasing more and more games for it. Steam offer just under 100 games for it.
So how are PS3 and Xbox 360 not competing with Macs now?
Yes but when I say competing I mean in the actual full blown computer sense of the word not just for gaming. Think about what a Mac is. It's a computer with it's own software made by one company with all the usual peripherals allowing you to do a bunch of stuff. Now think about what a PS3 is. This keyboard is just a step towards your new Playstation computer.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
Jumplion said:
LockeDown said:
I don't understand why they don't just bypass the issue completely, and just bundle the game with a USB keyboard.

I mean really, I'm a console gamer, and I appreciate the efforts these guys are going to try and bring their media to a broader audience, but MMORPGs have a hard time adapting to a controller. Trust me, I was one of a few thousand that played Everquest: Online Adventures for the few years that the game thrived.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There are USB ports, why can't I just plug in my own keyboard in there? I probably could, though I have no use for it now, but you get the idea.
I suppose the only issue would be making sure the game accepted the USB keyboard as a way of inputting more than text, but still.

This seems like a much easier solution than a convoluted Sixaxis-Keyboard hybrid abomination.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
As everyone else has said repeatedly here, it does kiiinda look like it their design crew went to a museum and went "Hey I know, lets make this!"

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Why do people need, small and pretty if it doesn't work?

I kinda like the idea. Little tweeking and you got a winner. But don't listen to the people who need it small and ineffective...there are smaller keyboards.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
LockeDown said:
Jumplion said:
LockeDown said:

I suppose the only issue would be making sure the game accepted the USB keyboard as a way of inputting more than text, but still.

This seems like a much easier solution than a convoluted Sixaxis-Keyboard hybrid abomination.
My PS3 has a keyboard and mouse attached (still not updated to the 'other OS killer' yet). It works nicely on the xmb and (ick) home. It's fantastic at unreal and it works with a sixaxis controller at the same time but the game is way slower than on the PC robbing the mouse of it's big advantages .

other than that text entry support from games is generally poor so you'd be stuck using this hideous beast for the one game you bought it for and I for one would rather have my current setup over some single use monstrosity.