196: Achieving Azeroth

roboosh

May 8, 2008
Gxas said:
roboosh said:
Who wouldn't like everyone to have to adress them as Rob, Champion of the Frozen Wastes?
Rob was in my guild... He was an undead rogue... I miss him... He stopped playing...
Fair enough :p I only used the name Rob cos that is my name xD

seule

Jul 21, 2008
I do agree with the funk, the War tome and wow achievements are similar and yet different.... just wish wow would give me some way to get my "Narcissist" title that I had in War.

I can honestly say that the most annoying thing about this last expansion was the constant noise for the first week, when everyone was getting an achievement for something about once every 5 seconds. Guild was literally lit up like a christmas tree 24/7.

Oriii

Nov 3, 2006
CantFaketheFunk said:
Valalvax said:
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to kite the boss backwards so you don't have to deal with the chain lightning, at least I think that's what we did when we did it, slept since then
That's how you do it to avoid the normal chain lightning caused by the rifts. The only problem is, when he goes invulnerable for 45 seconds, the chain lightning suddenly gets an infinite range. So you might have been able to outrange it before as you were kiting him, but then you have 45 seconds of healing through ALL the chain lightning barrages.
Way we did it back in early december was to drag one of those little plant guys from the other bosses hallway over to this boss, and keep it alive until he spawns the first rift, then kill it causing it to give its aura which reduces damage taken and heals a few % every few seconds. While the invulnerability is up, kill the little guys that spawn from them, and then nuke the boss when he's vulnerable again. Its nasty on the healer, or at least was then, but found it to be a simpler thing overall. The only issues are making sure the plant doesnt die early as it only stays in its aura form for about 2 minutes or so, and then it revives and bolts back to the hallway, and also its relatively small range.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Oriii said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Valalvax said:
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to kite the boss backwards so you don't have to deal with the chain lightning, at least I think that's what we did when we did it, slept since then
That's how you do it to avoid the normal chain lightning caused by the rifts. The only problem is, when he goes invulnerable for 45 seconds, the chain lightning suddenly gets an infinite range. So you might have been able to outrange it before as you were kiting him, but then you have 45 seconds of healing through ALL the chain lightning barrages.
Way we did it back in early december was to drag one of those little plant guys from the other bosses hallway over to this boss, and keep it alive until he spawns the first rift, then kill it causing it to give its aura which reduces damage taken and heals a few % every few seconds. While the invulnerability is up, kill the little guys that spawn from them, and then nuke the boss when he's vulnerable again. Its nasty on the healer, or at least was then, but found it to be a simpler thing overall. The only issues are making sure the plant doesnt die early as it only stays in its aura form for about 2 minutes or so, and then it revives and bolts back to the hallway, and also its relatively small range.
The trick I've found to deal with the lightning is to have everyone run well ahead of the tank. The lightning will target whoever's closest and the people near them. You start tanking him all the way at the very back of the platform he starts on. When he goes invulnerable, you run back to the middle platform with everyone but the tank at the bottom of the ramp to the ground, with the tank at the top of the ramp. Heal the tank and it's cake. After invul wears off, wait for him to come to you on the middle platform and tank him there. When he goes invul, the same strategy as the last time works wonders, you'll just have to run all the way back to the ground. Invul wears off, he comes to you and you burn him down to the final invul, where you do the same basic strategy, just run away when he goes invul, keeping the tank well behind everyone else. Kill him when he comes back to you.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Agayek said:
Oriii said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Valalvax said:
The trick I've found to deal with the lightning is to have everyone run well ahead of the tank. The lightning will target whoever's closest and the people near them. You start tanking him all the way at the very back of the platform he starts on. When he goes invulnerable, you run back to the middle platform with everyone but the tank at the bottom of the ramp to the ground, with the tank at the top of the ramp. Heal the tank and it's cake. After invul wears off, wait for him to come to you on the middle platform and tank him there. When he goes invul, the same strategy as the last time works wonders, you'll just have to run all the way back to the ground. Invul wears off, he comes to you and you burn him down to the final invul, where you do the same basic strategy, just run away when he goes invul, keeping the tank well behind everyone else. Kill him when he comes back to you.
The way we did it was to stay on the top platform, with the tank on one side and everyone else on the other. Boss tanked by the tank, and dps run out when he goes invulnerable. The tank then doesn't try to hold aggro on the adds and thus the healer will have the adds attack him instead. They run across the platform to the healer and have the dps kill the adds before/when they reach the healer.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:
Dirty Horde? I swear you're trying to piss me off sometimes.

I like the achievements, haven't really bothered enough to start whoring them or anyhthing. Gotta gear up for Naxx 10 first!
Red = Dead, yo.
I thought I'd be the better person here but it's too much, CantFaketheFunk, I challenge you to an AZER-OFF!

(...Still haven't quite finalised what it actually is)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
stormcaller said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:

I like the achievements, haven't really bothered enough to start whoring them or anyhthing. Gotta gear up for Naxx 10 first!
Red = Dead, yo.
I thought I'd be the better person here but it's too much, CantFaketheFunk, I challenge you to an AZER-OFF!

/Lifebloom
/Shadowmeld
/Swift Flight Form
/Bye!

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:

Red = Dead, yo.

/Lifebloom
/Shadowmeld
/Swift Flight Form
/Bye!
So you're running away? meh, what I expected from the Alliance :p

Besides where the hell is your band of Blizzard employees singing kick-ass rock songs? (L80ETC)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
stormcaller said:

Besides where the hell is your band of Blizzard employees singing kick-ass rock songs? (L80ETC)
Helloooo? Resto Druid?

I ain't gonna kill anything. I just never die. :p

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:

Helloooo? Resto Druid?

I ain't gonna kill anything. I just never die. :p
I'm a warrior, I don't kill things either AND I die often.

Besides who said it was PVP? You don't even know what an Azer-off is(and neither do I) for all you know, it could be a quiz based on lore.

...that could work

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Achievements are like stamp collecting; they're a common occurance in the everyday world that people can take to nutty extremes to distract themselves from daily routine.

Alexadecimal

Nov 12, 2008
The Immortal - now there's a title I'd give a large chunk of my time for, and I only just got Champion of the Frozen wastes...
I wouldn't say I go totally out of my way for WoW achievements but I like getting the odd one if I have time to kill, especially if the achievement gives you more than the actual achievement (love my Hallowed title :D)

burninjack4l

Aug 15, 2008
Ha I enjoyed reading this, particularly because it's so very true. Achievements gave me a hand up when I really didnt' know what to do in WoW anymore. Before Wrath, it filled a month of my time with tedious things to do, ontop of my dailys, waiting for the expansion.
As soon as Wrath came out, the content quickly cleared through, it gave me reason to go back and do the heroics, even though I already had all of my gear-sets fully epic. I don't play wow anymore, nor shall I ever again (I gave my account to a friend who has never played before) and I don't exactly miss it, mainly because I'm hardly at home with work, and a needy girlfriend. But, with my insomnia I'm up almost 24 hours a day, and I now fill my nights with Warhammer Online ontop of EVE and TF2--- I have to say I like Warhammer Online's achievement system more. It's usually more humorous, and you find yourself getting rewards a lot more often than in WoW... Plus there are a LOT more titles, even if some of them are for something you wouldn't exactly want to put next to your name (such as clicking on an NPC 10,000 times while being naked) But all the same you have the options early on in the game... Which is one thing I see WoW missing the point on, getting people into the game early on, where as Warhammer can do it instantly. But, I digress. I really enjoyed reading your article, having played WoW for four years, these type of articles never get old.

Funkytrix

Mar 26, 2009
Epixxx! Like the article.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sisters+of+Elune&n=Tieria
Got it right on first click?

Hmph, alliance maggots! Red wunz go fasta! ;)

Agrosmurf

Mar 31, 2009
I thought that the achievments are a great addition to Wow. There are so many. But I think you schould be able to buy gear/items with the points.

Cigar

Feb 24, 2009
People are still playing wow?
I'm just flabberghasted that the gaming community has sunk from the silent majority who were good at every game to the being recognized as the 15 million who suck at one.

darkfallonline dot com. Get out of the habit of being bad, and get back to being awesome.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
Great article.

----

I can't really say I'm particularly bothered by achievements myself, but I guess it's something to do while waiting for Ulduar...

I prefer feats of strength over the actual achievements, though. Having it broadcasted to the entire guild when I finally got my Deathcharger = win.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
It was achievements, and everybody getting excited about them in WoW, that made me realize I was hanging out with the wrong crowd, and playing the wrong game, and helped me to restore some semblance of a real life. Achievements were the slap in the face I needed. So I suppose I ought to be thankful.

Achievements in Warhammer Online, by contrast, were benign... silly and fun.