196: Achieving Azeroth

Senial

Sep 18, 2008
I was the first out of three people to befriend the bloodsail buccaneers before the achievement system . Now that there is an achievement, by which I mean title, every third fucking person has it. Two out of three people massacre the bloodsails to get there reputation back with the little green bastards. I hate the achievement system.

Also, why weren't there achievements for the zombie invasion and the opening of the dark portal?

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
The Achievement system introduced in WoW was a great idea. But to compare it to the 360's system negativity was boorish. Many of the Achievements in a 360 game help extend it's life, adding a kind of mini-game aspect, e.g. get through a certain level in Orange Box using only the gravity gun. Whether anybody bothers to look this up on Live I personally couldn't give a stuff about.

GebGuy

Mar 23, 2009
Senial said:
Also, why weren't there achievements for the zombie invasion and the opening of the dark portal?
There is a couple feats of strength for the Opening of the Dark Portal. If you completed the quest that was there when the Dark Portal was opening you got a tabard with an on use effect showing how tough you are. If you did that quest you got a feat of strength.

For the zombie invasion thing there was an boss added to Kara that if you killed and collected a pet from him gave you Feat of Strength. The boss is no longer there, like the quest from opening the Dark Portal is no longer there.

Sooo... there sort of is achievements, but also not really cause feats of strength don't give you achievement points.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
"Every time you earn an achievement, WoW tells people about it. Anyone in your guild, anyone in your group, anyone even standing near you, no matter their faction, will receive a message - "[Tieria] has earned the achievement: [Tastes Like Chicken]!" Friends can whisper you their congratulations."

You can turn this off. I did - I found it annoying. I really don't care when the 60th person logs on and gets their pet, or getting my chatbox flooded whenever I down a boss.

"That dirty Horde can know right before his spirit leaves his body that yes, he was your 10,000th PvP kill. And if you're dedicated enough to earn a server-first achievement, the message will be broadcasted to everybody. Yes, everybody. They'll all know how much ass you kick (or how much free time you have on your hands)."

You really need other people to know about your accomplishments to enjoy them?

Back in my day, I got every poe in OoT just for the sake of doing it. ;P

I just don't like how Blizz arbitrarily raises gameplay time by making you do things differently WHEN YOU COULD HAVE JUST DONE THAT ALREADY.

OmniDesol

The Ultimate Omnimancer
Dec 28, 2009
By the way, for that achievement, I recommend kiting him down off his platforms, actually. The rift will spawn minions, but you'll be safter as you kite him to each platform. With good heals, and a good tank, you should burn him.

Also, not having more ranged DPS may have been mistake one.