EA to Ruin Man's Life for APB Marketing Stunt

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EA to Ruin Man's Life for APB Marketing Stunt

In a promotion for cops-and-robbers MMOG APB, EA is inviting gamers to take control of a man and make him into their "Human Avatar." There's no way this could go wrong.

One of the biggest draws of absolutely mind-boggling character customization system [http://www.amazon.com/All-Points-Bulletin-Pc/dp/B002BS480M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278602248&sr=8-1]. You can draw symbols and import them as tattoos, you can crank all the sliders in any direction you prefer, and yet your character will always look recognizably human.

Now, in order to promote APB, publisher EA has kicked off a mini-reality series, The Human Avatar [http://www.thehumanavatar.com/], "inspired by the APB customization engine." Essentially, EA will be picking one man and letting the internet decide his permanent appearance. This, by the way, is only one or two steps down from "posting naked pictures and your phone number on 4chan" as far as internet stupidity goes.

Voters will choose between dancer Jordan and free-runner Josh, and then collectively vote on the "winner's" tattoos, clothing, haircut, and facial piercings. It sounds like an all right idea at first - I mean, these guys signed up for it, didn't they? They wouldn't be doing this if they weren't willing to face the music.

But then we must remember that this is an internet poll, and this is the same internet that voted Gabe Newell into second place in a Victoria's Secret contest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91261-4chan-Founder-Wins-Time-100-Poll].

Five bucks says that before this is all said and done, either unlucky Jordan or poor Josh will have at least three penises tattooed onto his face.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=254844])

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Gotta love the internet sometimes.
By which I mean the unnecessarily large population of 4chan.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Oh boy! I love internet Polls!

Somehow I feel that in the end, profane ideas will be cut. Time Magazine has a status to uphold, whereas this is a publicity stunt, much like the victoria secret poll. They will pick that which will give them the best publicity.

Also, you forgot to mention Zach and His Amazing Wheelchair! [http://myown.oprah.com/audition/index.html?promo_id=1&request=video_details&response_id=5615]

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
20 bucks that there'll be a swastika, the word "******" or goatsee tattooed somewhere on the unfortunate "winner".

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Is this "idea" by the same group of drug-sniffing cocksections that came up with the offensive "Sin to Win" promotion for Dante's Inferno?

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
a strange stunt. I do like the own tats designing thing. I can imagine business being made out of drawing for people.

Who wants a drawing? I kick ass and chew stuff at Tribals. first one's free!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I say if they're dumb enough to go with it. Then they deserve everything they get. I'm voting for a sex change with facial tattoo of the face of echo the dolphin.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
ewhac said:
Is this "idea" by the same group of drug-sniffing cocksections that came up with the offensive "Sin to Win" promotion for Dante's Inferno?
Your comments offended me greatly.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I really fail to understand how this works as a promotion for APB. So you take a Joe No-Name who wants to be the next "reality star", and then give the users of the internet the ability to permanently disfigure this person for the sake of advertising?

I vote he gets a mask of Pedobear permanently attached to his face, or enough plastic surgery to make him into a very close likeness of said character. That would be awesome!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hey!

Sometimes we, the internet, are very responsible. Take as an example, if you will, our collective decision to send Justin Bieber to North Korea.

Someperson307

Dec 19, 2008
This will not end well. But it will be hilarious. This guy will look awful after 4chan has it's way with him.

shadow741

Oct 28, 2009
Wait, so you can draw tattoos (or probably upload them too) onto your avatar in APB, oh god. I'm seeing lots of shock photos for the future of APB. That is, if a lot of 4chan get it. Oh god, what if they make him into the human caterpillar from the movie, I know they probably won't allow it because it involves multiple people or that it's just too fucked up, but just what if they could.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Hits me the same as the person who sold his forehead as advertising space to the highest bidder..ie tattoo

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
EA, you never cease to amaze me...

I can't even see why someone would actually sign up for something like this. With my entire family at gunpoint I wouldn't let the internet decide my physical appearance. I just hope these poor people get paid for going through all this...

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
This will attract attention.

The question is however if this kind of attention won't disfigure APB into something awful.