198: Love Triangle

stankerbell

Aug 26, 2008
I don't entirely get why people are so surprised given the prevalence of rape fantasies. I mean, for a while, rape was very common in romance novels (I'm thinking about Rosemary Rogers) and even now, while it's not as violent as it was before, there's still an element of unwillingness or forced attraction in a lot of the books today. Then there's the whole vampire/werewolf/beast of the night type of thing going on nowadays.

kelnadine

May 18, 2008
I don't really understand this attraction...but I have to say, for the sake of my fellow females, that girls with rape fantasies don't really want to be raped...at least from what I've heard. It's a fantasy. In real life, they would hate it.

Unless they're completely insane, they also don't want a guy who would kill somebody.

It's more about a guy with a dark side, or something like that...who *seems* dangerous, but would never ever actually hurt the girl herself.

I hope I'm right.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
kelnadine said:
I don't really understand this attraction...but I have to say, for the sake of my fellow females, that girls with rape fantasies don't really want to be raped...at least from what I've heard. It's a fantasy. In real life, they would hate it.

Unless they're completely insane, they also don't want a guy who would kill somebody.

It's more about a guy with a dark side, or something like that...who *seems* dangerous, but would never ever actually hurt the girl herself.

I hope I'm right.
That would make sense what with the whole Twilight fangirls and now this. Apparently girls like men who could mortally wound them and cause them severe psychological scarring.

[small]Seriously though, its still weird.[/small]

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
The article was nothing new to me in terms of concept as my wife has been a long time "Fan" of Pyramid head which has invoked more than one interesting discussion about female sexuality, the desire to be taken and to satisfy.

Overall the article was very well written and treats the subject matter with respect and I very much enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for taking a "Stab" at a subject matter that reveals the more primal side of our selves that we do not wish to admit to.

Lastly it speaks volumes about the Silent Hill franchise that it can invoke such discussion and emotion.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
the majority of women have rape fantasies. I don't know why they don't like this known, but it's true. I've got some female friends, and all of them have had desires to be 'raped' by sexy dangerous men. One of them is infatuated with the new Jason, and another likes the idea of being forced and manipulated by some savage beast.

I think it does have to do with the attraction to the dangerous and being scared. Why else would so many make themselves blind to the beginnings of an abusive relationship? It explains why thugs, criminals, and assholes have no shortage of women despite knowing they're going to be used and/or expoited.

I agree that it's something biological, but it seems to go against self-preservation, unless it goes back to the time when the guy that kills the most people proves himself to be the strongest.

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
Psssh. What? Do you all honestly believe the story of "Beauty and the Beast" became popular because a bunch of GUYS liked it?? This has been going on for centuries. It's a desire to find something wild and tame it. A pretty common fantasy, really.

I found the article's grounding in scholarly research to really help strengthen this point though, which is good. I love how escapist articles in general give thoughtful consideration to the subjects they take on.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Fraser.J.A said:
I don't mean this as a contradiction of the main thrust (no pun intended) of the article, just a sidenote: many of those 736 members of the "Pyramid Head <3" group are probably kidding. I have a hard time believing people who leave comments like "He's so sexy, how he kills everything he sees" were writing that with a straight face.

But you never know...
Don't know. Knowing the human race is knowing how many people are fucked up in this world. It is a possibility that they are joking. However, you never know when you'll be suprised.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The attraction to Pyramid Head doesn't surprise me at all. Let's be honest, rape fantasies are common to humanity in general. Everyone has fantasies about being taken forcibly by someone that they find attractive and wants them that badly. It's been the subject of fantasy material for longer than I've been alive, and somewhere out there are always people acting shocked by it.

The thing to remember though is that this kind of "bondage fantasy" has little to do with reality. I mean honestly anyone that the victim would find that attractive is likely to be able to "score" without resulting to force, and such fantasies could be 'safely' played out (which they are for many people). Real rape on the other hand does not come like the victim fantasies it can engender in some people. Understanding the differance between fantasy and reality here is important.

Had Pyramid Head been portrayed as a giant fat man with gigantic oozing sores all over his body I doubt this would be an issue. As it is, he's kind of an ideal, very aggressive masculine portrayal. Being ravished by Pyramid Head sort of tapping into the same thing as all of the so called "Paranormal Romance" novels with the protaganist being ravished by Vampires, Demons, or Werewolves. On a non-supernatural front, all of this is the same thing as a romance novel plot about some lady being taken and ravished by unusually studdly pirates. Really this is just a variation on a concept/desire that people have been tapping into for a long time.

Men are also not immune to such things, there is plenty of fantasy out there about men being roughly taken by beautiful, and powerful women. The number of leather clad dominatrix chararacters with bad attitudes illustrates this exactly. Women have their Pyramid Heads and Vampires, guys have their Succubi, and Vampirella. .

While not my cup of tea, I wouldn't be shocked if somewhere out there you'll find communities of gay men producing "slash" fantasies about being molested by Pyramid Head as well.

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
kelnadine said:
I don't really understand this attraction..
Ironic that you're saying this, yet have a Heath Ledger Joker avatar. Pretty much the same thing happened with the Joker, even leading to discussions like "But he's not interested in sex! He'd be more likely to mutilate your body for kicks!" "I know, that would be so HOT!"

kelnadine

May 18, 2008
Sledgimus said:
kelnadine said:
I don't really understand this attraction..
Ironic that you're saying this, yet have a Heath Ledger Joker avatar. Pretty much the same thing happened with the Joker, even leading to discussions like "But he's not interested in sex! He'd be more likely to mutilate your body for kicks!" "I know, that would be so HOT!"
Yeah, actually...one of my best friends said she had a thing for Heath Ledger's Joker just as we were leaving the theater. I asked if she meant she just liked Heath Ledger, but no. It was the Joker himself.

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
I think that's the sort of moment that leads to men saying "I will never understand women." I think the only thing that surprises me about this happening with Pyramid Head is I'd never really thought women would be that interested in playing Silent Hill. Curse my unintentional sexism.

MURPHYCHACHO

Oct 28, 2008
I'm a girl, and I have never once felt even the slightest bit attracted to Pyramid Head. Take heart, my friends! We're not all insane!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Fightgarr said:
Uhh... This is mildly hilarious, in a kind of messed up way. That is certainly a strange attraction to have. He has the ultimate S&M headgear I guess.
I'm dressing as Pyramid Head for sure if I go a convention like that.
At least, now I know there's a costume I have to try for my next SM session.
I'm seriously wondering how it will be received.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I read someone shitted in their pants when they first saw pyramid head. PH reminds me of the elf guards from Hell Boy 2. But loving the PH? The girls worship SLANEESH!!! XD

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MURPHYCHACHO said:
I'm a girl, and I have never once felt even the slightest bit attracted to Pyramid Head. Take heart, my friends! We're not all insane!
Seconded. He just scared the crap out of me, was all.

Now, the bloke who played him in the film, on the other hand...