Pokemon Black & White To Feature Only Entirely New Pokemon

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pokemon Black & White To Feature Only Entirely New Pokemon

To those expecting to catch Charmander, Pikachu, and Mankey their first time through Pokemon Black & White: Sorry, familiar Pokemon are out.

The latest titles in the never-ending starter Pokemon [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280957007&sr=8-5], and triple battles. Gamefreak has revealed that every single Pokemon players encounter while playing will be new, too, with all Pokemon from previous games excluded.

Did your heart sink a little to think that you won't be seeing a new Pikachu's face in Black & White? Well just beat the game, and then they'll show up and be allowed for import, said GameFreak's Junichi Masuda in a recent blog post. But on the first playthrough, players will only see new Pokemon.

Masuda writes that GameFreak wanted to put "kids and adults on the same starting line and give all players the feeling of 'What is this Pokemon?' as if they were playing Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue for the original Game Boy again." Masuda says it was tough to design all new Pokemon again, but that it's paid off already in comments made by those allowed to sample the game from outside of the company.

"You don't even know the type of the Pokemon, so you're surprised at the skills," one tester said. "There are only Pokemon that you've never seen, so it's fresh and new," said another. This was just the type of reaction GameFreak was looking for. Pokemon has been around for more than 14 years since the original Japanese release (12 years in North America), so it's good that GameFreak is trying to do something to freshen up the series for longtime players and new players alike.

Via: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/04/black_white_new_pokemon/]

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
Well, this is certainly unexpected news! I'm a little sad I won't be able to catch some old favorites, but it'll be neat seeing a new Pokemon with pretty much every battle.
Man, I get more and more hyped about these games with each new update! And I've still yet to finish Pokemon Diamond or HeartGold. :p

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
It'll be wierd without something familiar to start with. I mean really wierd; half the new pokémon just look like someone toying with the ellipse tool so far. Though I'm liking the hypno-beaver on the front row.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Read the title and became very happy. Finally we don't have to go through every previous Pokemon game to catch all Pokemon.

Then I read the part were you'll be able to import Pokemon, which means that there will be a Pokedex that will include all Pokemon.

... fuck.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Talk about zombie franchises! However, that having been said, it's definitely a better move than the last several entries on the series (not that I've played them first hand).

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Dragonizer said:
I'm a little sad I won't be able to catch some old favorites
Yeah, but look at it this way: you won't be catching Bidoof or Ratatta again. There'll be some stupid equivalent pokemon, sure, but at least you won't be growling angrily and shouting, "I already caught you in the last four games--go away!"

Shockolate said:
Good! I'm sick of those fucking Geodude's.

Those things are fucking everywhere.
Oh yeah. THAT one too.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I like that actually. Lets you familiarize with the new set and makes catching all of them feel easier.

I must say most of the new ones in that image look funny. Not horrible, just funny.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I was disappointed at first, but some things occurred to me:
1) NO MORE ZUBAT!
2) New experience
3) Finding new pokemon to use instead of relying on Gyarados.

This will probably make the game better.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Dragonizer said:
I'm a little sad I won't be able to catch some old favorites
Yeah, but look at it this way: you won't be catching Bidoof or Ratatta again. There'll be some stupid equivalent pokemon, sure, but at least you won't be growling angrily and shouting, "I already caught you in the last four games--go away!"
I dunno, man. Rattata is actually one of my favorites. :p

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Sounds like a good idea to me. Then perhaps they'll be required to come up with a large variety of Pokemon types, not just filling in the gaps with old ones (as has been the plan for awhile).

This is actually pretty good news to me.

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
Yay no more Zubats everywhere!

I'm also excited about the new type combinations. I saw one pokemon that was Ghost/Fire type so it seems like this game will feel new and less linear.

I'm saddened though because I won't get an Abra on my team :(

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
cool
I hate getting a new Pokemon game and only running into the same old Rattata's and Pidgey's for the first 5 to 10 hours.
and having to unlock the other 493 will expand the amount of time I spend on it

Mazar_Nomoid

Jun 30, 2010
I don't know about this...they better be as good as the Pokemon from before...hope that they aren't underpowered in this generation or overpowered compared to the last ones. I really want to see how this goes in the competitive play.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
as long as there's a tank-bear with a bearzooka and a cyber gorilla with a SAM launcher on its back, i'll be happy

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Gamefreak has revealed that every single Pokemon players encounter while playing will be new, too, with all Pokemon from previous games excluded.
*Points gun at head* *BLAM* *THUD*

Seriously though, I was hoping to see at least a few familiar faces in the new games. I actually liked that they kept the same Pokemon in some of the games. Except Zubats. I FRIGGIN' HATE ZUBATS!

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
shadowstriker86 said:
as long as there's a tank-bear with a bearzooka and a cyber gorilla with a SAM launcher on its back, i'll be happy
That comes out next generation with Metal Gear Poke :p