Capcom/Namco Crossovers Will Push Fighting Genre Forwards, Says Developers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom/Namco Crossovers Will Push Fighting Genre Forwards, Says Developers

Capcom and Namco believe that fighting games will see a resurgence off the back of their collaborations.

The fighting genre got a shot in the arm with the release of games like Super Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6, and Capcom and Namco hope that their upcoming collaborations, Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken X Street Fighter, will push the genre forward to new and better things.

Stuart Turner, Capcom's head of marketing for the UK and Europe, said that just as recently as a few years ago, the fighting genre had looked like a relic of generations past, and now that they were back on people's radar, he hoped that the Capcom/Namco crossovers would "produce a true celebration of the genre."

Lee Kirton, Namco's marketing and PR manager, called the announcement of the crossovers "historic," and said that the reaction from fans had been astounding: "The two biggest fighting franchises have finally come together, which can only raise the appeal of both these legends," he said. "After the reaction from fans at Comic-Con, I think that this is one of the biggest gaming announcements ever."

Obviously, it's the job of marketing people to say that their products will be amazing, but the excellent Street Fighter IV games show that the skills are there to back the claims up. Whether Street Fighter X Tekken will usher in a new golden age for fighting games remains to be seen, but it's hard to believe that the games won't be a heck of a lot of fun.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40270/Street-Fighter-X-Tekken-to-push-genre-forwards]

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Soul Calibur vs Tekken first please! I mean they are from the same company!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I hope to god it plays more like SF and not Tekken: Revenge of the Jugglers.
There's going to be two games, one that plays like Street Fighter, and one that plays like Tekken.

Apr 28, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
One will play like Street Fighter, the other will play like Tekken.

EDIT:

OT: I'm glad for the resurgence, because now I get Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3!!

Dec 14, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Daystar Clarion said:
There's going to be two games, one that plays like Street Fighter, and one that plays like Tekken.
Irridium said:
Daystar Clarion said:
One will play like Street Fighter, the other will play like Tekken.

OT: I'm glad for the resurgence, because now I get Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3!!
Well that's just fucking brilliant! Glad to see that the devs don't want to alienate either group of fans.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh that makes sense. Infact, thats a really good idea! Although it's gonna be wierd playing with the others in the control scheme of their counterparts. I wonder how this'll go. I mean, the Tekken fighters are pretty powerful, but the Street fighter guys are notoriously powerful themselves. Heck, if they wanted to, they could just sit to the side and shoot fireballs at the tekken guys :p

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
i am interested....
would like a crossover with soul calibur tho. ryu would somehow make more sense than darth vader...

also, heihatchi has been in a soul calibur game before and he didnt feel that ususual to play as despite the differing control scheme.

Shackels

Jun 7, 2010
I'm glad they have a tekken version, I can never get into street fighter, combos rely too much on their DBZ street fighting abilities. Marvel versus Capcom I found fun tho.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
I dunno. So far Tatsunoko vs Capcom really pushed it foward. So much that Marvel vs Capcom 3 will be using a lot of Tatsunoko vs Capcom's mechanics. We just have to wait a see.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I was totally and completely expecting them to say their game is shit. Especially the marketing guys, they're usually so modest. This MUST be good then!

I'd be more interested if they did a Marvel X DC fighting game. Or just pure Marvel at that, bigger roster, more characters, the good stuffs.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
As someone who loves both Tekken and SF (yes, I hear the gasping.. we do exist) I can't wait for either of these. While I was hoping the character selection would be a little more open than just the SF and Tekken casts, it's probably too early to say that won't happen (or at least won't happen in the future if either of these are good sellers).

My only real question at this point beyond "when can I buy them?" is how the SF characters will play in a Tekken system. We've already seen how a Tekken character will make the jump to 2D in the Comic Con video, and it's not hard to extrapolate that to the rest of the Tekken cast, but I'm thinking SF characters may have a harder transition going the other way. Tekken has done projectiles in 3D space before, but they've often been one off sort of gimmick moves or boss moves that are either overpowered on purpose or easily nullified once you learn to watch for them. Also, both for projectile reliant characters and not, most SF characters will need to be given move strings, launchers, etc. as those are tools they simply don't have. Even "single hit" power characters in Tekken still have at least a few usable strings, mix-ups and launchers.

*ponders* Yes, this will be good...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its nice to see its not dying, and, they are trying to put some innovation into it. As long as they try, I dont think it iwll ever die out

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Cool idea, but I'd rather Soul Calibur vs Darkstalkers :)
That would be fantastic.

MvC3, Street Fighter X Tekken and Street Fighter 3 Third Strike online will all be day one purchases for me. MK9 would've been but I tried playing UMK3 again the other day (the ranked servers are back up!) everything just felt so clunky after months of Street Fighter goodness (probably will still get it though).

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Excited as I am for both of these titles (my dreams are coming true, really), until they unveil Tekken X Street Fighter, I'd rather not hear anything else from these people.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
One step closer to Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat and Ryu securing a newcomer spot in Super Smash Bros: Fisticuffs/Rumble/Scuffle, hopefully.