Capcom/Namco Crossovers Will Push Fighting Genre Forwards, Says Developers

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Cool idea, but I'd rather Soul Calibur vs Darkstalkers :)
Hell id settle for just a new Darkstalkers game.
Or at least Jon and Huitzel featured in a Crossover Game.

OT:Im inclined to agree.
One thing to remember is that in both games, one side will have characters fighting in a style that is a Complete opposite to their own.
It makes me wonder how they will alter Movesets and show the Classic Specials.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Dexiro said:
StriderShinryu said:
Dexiro said:
I think there's a lot they can do to move the genre forward, they've been glued to this "arcade fighter" appeal for so long. That works for multiplayer and stuff but i'd like to see some funky single player modes ^_^

Be nice to see what they come up with anyway, i've been playing quite a lot of fighting games recently xD
Well, if you want funky single player modes in your fighting games, you really don't have to look further than Tekken. Of course, I won't guarantee you that they're actually great to play.. but they are funky. :)
I was just thinking about cool story modes with rpg elements that ease you into the game, stuff like that :p
Kind of like how racing games work! Win tournaments and random events, spend money on aesthetic changes or new moves/upgrades/characters. I think it'd be nice.

I'm not sure what Tekken has really. Haven't played any of those games since Tekken 3, was never much for the characters. I prefer games like BlazBlue where the characters are bursting with personality xD
Well, Tekken 6 sort of has you covered there. :)

T6 has a Scenario Campaign that essentially turns it into an old school brawler like Double Dragon or Streets of Rage, except with the full depth and moveset of the regular gameplay. You go through a large number of repeatable levels (and through a total bad anime train wreck of a storyline) fighting random thugs and bosses (other playable characters taken from the regular game) alongside an AI teammate. The RPG aspect comes in in a very Diablo-esque way. Enemies and bosses sometimes drop chests. These chests contain random bits of clothing/armour/etc. that you and your AI partner can equip, both for appearance and for whatever buffs the items happen to have (things like more HP, stronger armour, elemental attacks, or better chest drop rate %). As in many RPGs, you are limited in the number of buffs you can have on at one time so there's a balancing act between not only powerful and less powerful versions of the same buff but also between items that, say, flat out make you stronger and items that make your enemies drop goodies more often. Oh, and your AI partner actually does level up as you finish more and more stages, giving her extra moves.

Unfortunately, the controls in the Scenario mode are a little wonky at times. The mode doesn't really teach you the game beyond basics you'll learn just by playing (things like spacing, blocking, move timing, what moves are safer in dicey situations, etc.). Also, there is going to be some grinding if you want good gear or very specific items but that's par for the course for any Diablo like loot hunting game.

And I'd like to think the many of the Tekken characters are extremely full of character even if they're not as wacky as those in BlazBlue. They've definitely advanced from where they were in the T3 days. :)

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Dexiro said:
StriderShinryu said:
Dexiro said:
I think there's a lot they can do to move the genre forward, they've been glued to this "arcade fighter" appeal for so long. That works for multiplayer and stuff but i'd like to see some funky single player modes ^_^

Be nice to see what they come up with anyway, i've been playing quite a lot of fighting games recently xD
Well, if you want funky single player modes in your fighting games, you really don't have to look further than Tekken. Of course, I won't guarantee you that they're actually great to play.. but they are funky. :)
I was just thinking about cool story modes with rpg elements that ease you into the game, stuff like that :p
Kind of like how racing games work! Win tournaments and random events, spend money on aesthetic changes or new moves/upgrades/characters. I think it'd be nice.

I'm not sure what Tekken has really. Haven't played any of those games since Tekken 3, was never much for the characters. I prefer games like BlazBlue where the characters are bursting with personality xD
raaaaaawwwwwwwwrrrrr
I might look into it then ^_^ thanks for the recommendation.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Johnnyallstar said:
I have the feeling that the one that plays like Street Fighter will sell much better than the one that plays like Tekken.

But I can't wait. With SF IV, MvC3, SFxT & TxSF, and the new MK.... it's looking like we're witnessing the rebirth of the fighter genre as we speak.
This year started with the excellent Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Then with the improved Super Street Fighter 4, Then BlazBlue Continuum Shift. The Fighting Game Genre is back
if its back were is my Soul calibur 5. :( I am sad once more...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Dexiro said:
I might look into it then ^_^ thanks for the recommendation.
You're quite welcome. Either way, you can easily get T6 for less than $20 now so it's not much of a loss even if you don't like it. :)

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Korten12 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Johnnyallstar said:
I have the feeling that the one that plays like Street Fighter will sell much better than the one that plays like Tekken.

But I can't wait. With SF IV, MvC3, SFxT & TxSF, and the new MK.... it's looking like we're witnessing the rebirth of the fighter genre as we speak.
This year started with the excellent Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Then with the improved Super Street Fighter 4, Then BlazBlue Continuum Shift. The Fighting Game Genre is back
if its back were is my Soul calibur 5. :( I am sad once more...
I thought Soul Calibur 4 was the "last". And if it was...damn was it extremely disappointing

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Shackels said:
StriderShinryu said:
I agree, I love characters in Tekken. Too bad the emo one's my best character >.>
lol Well, I'm mostly a Hwoarang player so while his T6 ending did show a (great) new side to his personality he'll probably always be known as the guy with the unpronouncable name who's eternally chasing after Jin in some pointless quest for restored honour. Heck, laymen can't even call him Bob anymore now that there's an actual other character (who I hate) named Bob. *cry*

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Yet another thing for Capcom to vs. What's next? Capcom vs Nintendo?... I hope they don't have spies on the Escapist.

That they should do is make it 1 game, but allow you to toggle between the styles. SF fans could sample Tekken mechanics and possibly start buying those games, and Tekken fans can see just how annoying haduoken spams are and switch it back to Tekken mode.

SF has more in common with MK than Tekken, so a cross-over with them would be better. I could finally rip Ryu's head off and make a murder-sandwhich with Guile's hair.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
ragestreet said:
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Cool idea, but I'd rather Soul Calibur vs Darkstalkers :)
I can already see that now.
Taki vs. Morrigan: The battle of the breasts!
FUCK. YES. YOU WIN THE INTERNET.

Anyways, let's hope these are enough to boot up fighting games again. I want a proper King Of Fighters sequel.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
SF has more in common with MK than Tekken, so a cross-over with them would be better.
I'd try that.. if only to see what MK would be like if made by a competent fighting game developer. :)

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
I'd try that.. if only to see what MK would be like if made by a competent fighting game developer. :)
I wouldn't call Capcom competent, but Midway isn't really either (the main reason MK is a big hit was because it was bloody to the point ratings systems had to be made).
Is there a fighting game company that is actually competent? Namco thinks we all are masters and have a bad habit of overpowering their bosses in Tekken, and the balancing in Soul Calibur is quite bad. That means they are out as well.

freebiewitz

Nov 22, 2008
I hope reiji arisu and xiamu get in some how ;A; unlikely but still. Hell since I'm dreaming I'm also hoping Haken browning and even Fighter ROA somehow will be there! Oh c'mon can't a guy dream?

temporalcrux

Nov 9, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_%C3%97_Capcom

Why do they act like it's the first crossover they've ever done?

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Johnnyallstar said:
This. I gave Tekken a real, honest try and thought that it was a game with potential, but mucked it up with retarded mechanics like the air juggling. It looks so horribly out of place in a game with such realistic looking combat. It could have been a lot more than it was, but instead it just comes off as kind of an amateurish fighter that people like to pretend is 'omigod so pr0.' It reminds of people who honestly try and play Super Smash Bros. as a tourney quality game.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
If they want to move fighting games forward they can start by letting MLG uses SSF4 in their tournaments!

CKalvin

Sep 21, 2009
TOGSolid said:
Johnnyallstar said:
This. I gave Tekken a real, honest try and thought that it was a game with potential, but mucked it up with retarded mechanics like the air juggling. It looks so horribly out of place in a game with such realistic looking combat. It could have been a lot more than it was, but instead it just comes off as kind of an amateurish fighter that people like to pretend is 'omigod so pr0.' It reminds of people who honestly try and play Super Smash Bros. as a tourney quality game.
HEY HEY DONT HATE ON MELEE its the fucking shiz.

Anyway, having played both tekken and Sf, i prefer. . .

King of Fighters.

Pity they've royally stuffed it up with their past 4-5 games, but someday it'll make a resurgence and people will get the taste of KoF98 =D

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Ehh, it'd probably be a bigger deal if it were Street Fighter versus... oh, I don't know, Mortal Kombat? Regardless, I'll probably pick these two up, but I'm more psyched for Marvel vs Capcom 3.