Capcom/Namco Crossovers Will Push Fighting Genre Forwards, Says Developers

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
I do wonder why two games, why not one with two different play modes?
They can make more money that way, silly.

I'm not really interested. Although I like the odd whoever-hits-first-juggle-a-thon of Tekken every now and then, and am a huge fan of Street Fighter for proper matches... I don't think the two should mix.

It's like mixing Guilty Gear with Virtua Fighter.

Lust

Mar 23, 2010
I'd like to see a trailer of Akuma and Heihachi duking it out. Or DeeJay & Eddie. Maybe Lee and Fei Long. :D

That'd be great.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Maybe it's just me, but I have never been excited by these tag team events, probably because I never get attached to any of the characters in fighting games. I mean, how can you when their characters are more or less locked up in the manual and completely irrelevant to the games?

Ninja Tank

May 19, 2009
marvel vs capcom 3 is the only thing I'm looking forward to coming out any time in the future

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I think there's a lot they can do to move the genre forward, they've been glued to this "arcade fighter" appeal for so long. That works for multiplayer and stuff but i'd like to see some funky single player modes ^_^

Be nice to see what they come up with anyway, i've been playing quite a lot of fighting games recently xD

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, however I thought "Tekken 6" was something of a disaster for the company. I could have sworn that Namco claimed to be losing money (or making a lot less than expected) due to a couple of key titles underperforming. Going by their releases at the time those two titles were "Tekken 6" and "Dynasy Warriors Gundam 2".

Also I'll be honest in saying that while the sales seem to have been decent, probably due to the name, it seems to me that the reaction to both of the "Stret Fighter IV" games have been somewhat mixed, especially given the way they have handled DLC.

What's more when you get past all of that (which I could be wrong on, I'm going by observation and what people seem to have been saying) I'm not sure if you can "move the genere forward" while doing crossover games that are both at the same time claiming to maintain the purity of one series game structure (ie one game playing like Street Fighter, the other like Tekken), you can't "push things forward" and "retain purity" at the same time to be entirely honest. It seems to me like they are firing a shotgun loaded with buzz words so they can claim anything they want down the pipe.

Don't get me wrong, the crossovers are not a bad idea, I'm plenty interested. On the other hand I don't think fighting games are a genere that need much in the way of innovation, they are almost zen-like in their perfection, sort of like JRPGs, every time someone tries to add stuff to the mix it doesn't add to the genere. This is why you see so many fighting games with gimmicks that are touted as being "revolutionary" and then only stick around for one installment (assuming of course it's not an attempt to start a fighting game franchise that dies instantly).

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Will never play either of them, Capcom and Namco can both suck my nuts. Probably the most worthless, and counter-productive crossover game, ever thought up. Hey let's take 2 completely polar opposite styles of fighting game, throw away that which makes them unique and call it a step forward in gaming.

God developers are idiots sometimes.
I kinda know what you mean. Not even close to one another. I like Street Fighter(Not as much as a Vs Capcom game) And I hate Tekken with a passion. So it's gonna be a slow paced fighting game. Sorry, I prefer a fast paced Vs Capcom game. Sorry Capcom, I won't be buying this game either.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
ArmorArmadillo said:
Maybe it's just me, but I have never been excited by these tag team events, probably because I never get attached to any of the characters in fighting games. I mean, how can you when their characters are more or less locked up in the manual and completely irrelevant to the games?
As much of a fighting game fan as I am, I actually have to agree with this to some extent. It's really rather sad because, in Tekken at least, most of the characters really do have pretty pronounced character and there is a ton of backstory and intrigue between them. They've had 6 games and a couple of side games to create and grow these characters and plotlines to the point where it's in many cases a tangled mess even a long time comic or anime fan would need a fold out map to figure out. And yet, once you actually start up the game (especially if you're going right into a 2P VS mode) all of that goes out the window until/if you hit an ending movie.

The only fighters I can recall that really even tried to mix standard game play and storyline/character were the Street Fighter Alpha series where they had rival and storyline battles.. but even those were limited to a couple of fights in the Arcade mode per character, and other characters you fought who maybe had major feuds or rivalries didn't acknowledge them at all.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Dexiro said:
I think there's a lot they can do to move the genre forward, they've been glued to this "arcade fighter" appeal for so long. That works for multiplayer and stuff but i'd like to see some funky single player modes ^_^

Be nice to see what they come up with anyway, i've been playing quite a lot of fighting games recently xD
Well, if you want funky single player modes in your fighting games, you really don't have to look further than Tekken. Of course, I won't guarantee you that they're actually great to play.. but they are funky. :)

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Dexiro said:

Well, if you want funky single player modes in your fighting games, you really don't have to look further than Tekken. Of course, I won't guarantee you that they're actually great to play.. but they are funky. :)
I was just thinking about cool story modes with rpg elements that ease you into the game, stuff like that :p
Kind of like how racing games work! Win tournaments and random events, spend money on aesthetic changes or new moves/upgrades/characters. I think it'd be nice.

I'm not sure what Tekken has really. Haven't played any of those games since Tekken 3, was never much for the characters. I prefer games like BlazBlue where the characters are bursting with personality xD

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Will never play either of them, Capcom and Namco can both suck my nuts.
Time to change your avatar then buddy.

Me? I'm just waiting for Ms Pacman to make an appearance in a Streetfighter game.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I have the feeling that the one that plays like Street Fighter will sell much better than the one that plays like Tekken.

But I can't wait. With SF IV, MvC3, SFxT & TxSF, and the new MK.... it's looking like we're witnessing the rebirth of the fighter genre as we speak.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Johnnyallstar said:
I have the feeling that the one that plays like Street Fighter will sell much better than the one that plays like Tekken.

But I can't wait. With SF IV, MvC3, SFxT & TxSF, and the new MK.... it's looking like we're witnessing the rebirth of the fighter genre as we speak.
This year started with the excellent Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Then with the improved Super Street Fighter 4, Then BlazBlue Continuum Shift. The Fighting Game Genre is back

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Aura Guardian said:
Mornelithe said:
Will never play either of them, Capcom and Namco can both suck my nuts. Probably the most worthless, and counter-productive crossover game, ever thought up. Hey let's take 2 completely polar opposite styles of fighting game, throw away that which makes them unique and call it a step forward in gaming.

God developers are idiots sometimes.
I kinda know what you mean. Not even close to one another. I like Street Fighter(Not as much as a Vs Capcom game) And I hate Tekken with a passion. So it's gonna be a slow paced fighting game. Sorry, I prefer a fast paced Vs Capcom game. Sorry Capcom, I won't be buying this game either.
See, I actually like both styles of play. I really do, but there's no fucking way I'm relearning skillsets for the entire goddamn lineup of Street Fighter and Tekken, just because they couldn't come up with an original thought to save their lives.
Ah. But I still won't buy it as well. I can't stand Tekken

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Too soon to tell...
I never liked the genre anyways, but one game I really loved was BlazBlue...