Hawking: It's Space Or Bust For Humanity

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hawking: It's Space Or Bust For Humanity

Stephen Hawking thinks if the human race can survive for just a couple more centuries, we might be okay.

Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking thinks a lot about the survival of the human race. Even if his vision of humanity's end at the hands of aliens [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100232-Hawking-Warns-Humanity-to-Avoid-Dangerous-Aliens] doesn't come to pass, he thinks it's probably still going to happen due to ourselves. However, Hawking believes we only need to survive another 200 years, and then we'll be able to "spread into space."

Talking to BigThink [http://bigthink.com/ideas/21570], Hawking said: "If we can avoid danger for the next two centuries, our species should be safe as we spread into space." Due to humanity's genetic code holding what he calls "selfish and aggressive instincts" which create a "great danger for the human race," we'll probably nuke ourselves into oblivion if we don't get off this rock as soon as possible.

He uses the Cuban Missile Crisis as an example of a near-miss. However, he thinks "the frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future" and that we'll need "great care and judgment to negotiate them all successfully." So how will we survive? "The future is in space," he says.

"I believe that the long-term future of the human race must be in space," Hawking said. "It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster on planet Earth in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand, or million. The human race shouldn't have all its eggs in one basket, or on one planet. Let's hope we can avoid dropping the basket until we have spread the load."

He didn't say where we're all exactly supposed to go, or how we'll avoid fighting over those areas too, but seems pretty confident that space is the answer. The key term here I think is "spread," meaning that he believes we'll be able to go to many, many different places other than Earth. Kind of like how you can lock yourself in a room with headphones on to play Call of Duty [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Pc/dp/B002I0HKIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281313778&sr=8-1] if the family is having a dinner party. The difference in that situation, unlike the one Hawking is talking about, is that there's no chance of your family annihilating you with an atomic bomb and making your room uninhabitable for all future generations.

(Big Think [http://bigthink.com/ideas/21570])

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
This is very true. Even if we did find a way to survive in perfect harmony on Earth, the Sun won't last forever.

EDIT: Jesus, people I KNOW THE SUN CAN STILL LAST FOR BILLIONS OF YEARS. I was just making a point that it is not possible for humans and life on Earth to survive forever. Forever is a rally long time. It lasts much longer than a billion years.

I was not saying that I am worried about the Sun going out anytime soon. I was simply giving another, although less relevant, reason for why it is "Space or Bust" for humanity.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Called it!* he stole my idea

*note, I did infact not not call it, but meh

OT: I thought this was common knowledge?..but hey at least someone might actually listen now ¬¬

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
TheSapphireKnight said:
This is very true. Even if we did find a way to survive in perfect harmony on Earth, the Sun won't last forever.
Well if we do figure out a fast way to travel space, we always could just leave the milkey way when the sun explodes but that is still millions of years off.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
Goddamnit, the year 2000 was supposed to be the future! Now they're saying that my great great grandchildren will be the ones living in the future >_>

Conventional thinking has failed me once again.

Apr 19, 2010
So the physicist is giving a lecture on humanity. Maybe he should stick to the whole going to space part and not worry about what the rest of us do.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Ah, I do enjoy hearing from Stephen Hawking. Even if it's something like this that's already kinda obvious.

We are in a lot of danger from ourselves as long as we stay here. And since world peace isn't really as feasible as it might sound (selfish and aggressive genes sounds pretty accurate to me) our best bet may just be to spread and explore and settle in other parts of the universe.

Though, since this is prime for discussion I'm going to bring up something from the past. What about the expansion and imperialism of the 18th and 19th centuries? Some may have thought that spreading out in those times could diminish the threat of war and destruction, but it didn't. People found a way to fight, and eventually people found weapons that crossed distances far faster.

How are we to say that spreading and expanding will help us, when history has proven that it doesn't happen on a smaller scale. We simple settle, grow our population again, and when we have weapons that can cross the distances between planets in much shorter times than we'll inevitably be fighting again.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
You're thinking rather long term.
I know. That was my point. Even if we didn't nuke ourselves into oblivion we would have to leave eventually if we were to survive.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Korten12 said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
Well if we do figure out a fast way to travel space, we always could just leave the milkey way when the sun explodes but that is still millions of years off.
Sorry, but i have an itch when it comes to these sorts of things...

We wouldn't have to leave the milky way when the sun explodes, we'll only have to leave our solar system. The milky way is a rather big collection of solar systems. And it is in fact somewhere around 4,500 million years off.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah... we're either going to destroy ourselves, or find lost alien technology on Mars... I see the former happening first...

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I don't see humanity being taken out all that easily, so not really all that much to worry about.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Okay, speaking as a Native American, if you're really thinking we need to go into space, and you think alien contact would be like Columbus coming to the new world, then wouldn't the smartest thing to do be making contact with the aliens? I mean, they would integrate us into their society eventually, in which case we'd have technology and we'd be spread across the stars. Granted, there's the problem of years upon years of us being put down, enslaved, all that fun crap, but in the end we'd come out better than having nuked ourselves. And that's assuming the worse, which I'm getting more and more annoyed with scientists because of.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
is Stephen Hawking a fan of games like halo or mass effect. because reading the articals on him, it looks like he he trying to prepare us for something like them

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Makes sense. If we get to a point where we can easily navigate and move mass people through space, then there will be enough space in space for all the human race. Yes that was on purpose.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Blueruler182 said:
Okay, speaking as a Native American, if you're really thinking we need to go into space, and you think alien contact would be like Columbus coming to the new world, then wouldn't the smartest thing to do be making contact with the aliens? I mean, they would integrate us into their society eventually, in which case we'd have technology and we'd be spread across the stars. Granted, there's the problem of years upon years of us being put down, enslaved, all that fun crap, but in the end we'd come out better than having nuked ourselves. And that's assuming the worse, which I'm getting more and more annoyed with scientists because of.
I have one problem with this thing

Humanity in general has shown that when subjected to oppression, we kick and claw till they leave 'em alone

So..extinction it is! =D

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I was going to say "let's go to the Koprulu Sector" but that might cause more problems.