Hawking: It's Space Or Bust For Humanity

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
You people keep worrying about the sun.

I am more likely worried for the fact were are straight into a collision course with the Andromeda system.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070529091407.htm

Yes, there I said it. We are going to die, EITHER WAY if we stick in the Milky Way. Savvy?
The Andromeda Nebula is a galaxy, and the odds of our solar system being destroyed are pretty slim. Watching Andromeda move ever closer to the Milky Way be one hell of a spectacle though.

OT: I'm tempted to say "no shit," but I have a bit more respect for Hawking than that. It's pretty obvious that we must leave Earth at some point, and I'd rather that be now than later. Besides, it's not as though the technology needed to colonize the Moon, or even Mars didn't exist, it would just cost a metric fuckton of money.

Saerain

Mar 24, 2009
I've never quite understood the 'nuke ourselves to oblivion' fear. Sure, we have the power to do so, but I defy anyone to come up with a scenario in which it would be done that doesn't require a doomsday cult somehow getting control of most of it.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
Okay, speaking as a Native American, if you're really thinking we need to go into space, and you think alien contact would be like Columbus coming to the new world, then wouldn't the smartest thing to do be making contact with the aliens? I mean, they would integrate us into their society eventually, in which case we'd have technology and we'd be spread across the stars. Granted, there's the problem of years upon years of us being put down, enslaved, all that fun crap, but in the end we'd come out better than having nuked ourselves. And that's assuming the worse, which I'm getting more and more annoyed with scientists because of.
I have one problem with this thing

Humanity in general has shown that when subjected to oppression, we kick and claw till they leave 'em alone

So..extinction it is! =D
Yeah, but another theory goes thus. If we can't comprehend these aliens, if it's beyond the human measure, then I'm going to assume that him assuming that they'll be evil aliens trying to murder or enslave us all is a little off. Why not nice aliens? And who's to say they're actually so far beyond our scope as opposed to, say, us in 200 years? Y'know, when we're supposed to be able to go journeying into the galaxies far far away and set up a bar with Norm. In fact, and I feel amazing for being able to say this, Hawking's vision on this is surprisingly limited.

I'm assuming that, if an alien species is able to leave their own planet, that they've been able to explore the entirety of their planet and come across the same racial problems we have as a society. And probably, since they're so advanced, moved past them as human beings are trying to do. If they've gotten to the point where they've united as a species to move to the stars they've probably run across other alien species (unless we're just unlucky enough to be their first) and dealt with the individual species issue and gone through the whole racism part or, if they really are that intelligent, they probably just traded with them and avoided the racist problems altogether.

Just looking at our society and where it's going, socially, we can make multiple assumptions as to where their society will be in a couple hundred years, and if we're assuming they're more advanced than that, then we have to assume that they've had all the issues they care to with alien species. It's not like a video game where an alien planet will have one type of people. Again, looking at Earth, there are thousands of different cultures and thousands of different peoples that thrive on a shitload of different resources and have been formed around those resources.

Like I said. Hawking assuming that an alien species is innately evil is incredibly limited. And I'm done listening to another person ***** about how we're all going to kill ourselves soon. I don't care if they ***** through a computer or not. Though I do agree we should go into space, if just because it's furking awesome.

EDIT: That whole rant did start trying to counter the oppression part of your post. Saying they might not be. I just started jotting down thoughts after that.
Well...that's a buzzkill if ive ever seen one...

but yeah

It is limited, considering, if we can manage to get to space in 200 years chances are we will have become under one great republic as well, I mean..it might not be the most stable..but it might be
Oh yeah, I fully expect rebellions popping up and everything. My point is more that Hawking should stick to physics as opposed to studying society and predicting what another one will do, let alone our own. Keep to the field where you're a super genius in.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
Okay, speaking as a Native American, if you're really thinking we need to go into space, and you think alien contact would be like Columbus coming to the new world, then wouldn't the smartest thing to do be making contact with the aliens? I mean, they would integrate us into their society eventually, in which case we'd have technology and we'd be spread across the stars. Granted, there's the problem of years upon years of us being put down, enslaved, all that fun crap, but in the end we'd come out better than having nuked ourselves. And that's assuming the worse, which I'm getting more and more annoyed with scientists because of.

Humanity in general has shown that when subjected to oppression, we kick and claw till they leave 'em alone

So..extinction it is! =D
Yeah, but another theory goes thus. If we can't comprehend these aliens, if it's beyond the human measure, then I'm going to assume that him assuming that they'll be evil aliens trying to murder or enslave us all is a little off. Why not nice aliens? And who's to say they're actually so far beyond our scope as opposed to, say, us in 200 years? Y'know, when we're supposed to be able to go journeying into the galaxies far far away and set up a bar with Norm. In fact, and I feel amazing for being able to say this, Hawking's vision on this is surprisingly limited.

I'm assuming that, if an alien species is able to leave their own planet, that they've been able to explore the entirety of their planet and come across the same racial problems we have as a society. And probably, since they're so advanced, moved past them as human beings are trying to do. If they've gotten to the point where they've united as a species to move to the stars they've probably run across other alien species (unless we're just unlucky enough to be their first) and dealt with the individual species issue and gone through the whole racism part or, if they really are that intelligent, they probably just traded with them and avoided the racist problems altogether.

Just looking at our society and where it's going, socially, we can make multiple assumptions as to where their society will be in a couple hundred years, and if we're assuming they're more advanced than that, then we have to assume that they've had all the issues they care to with alien species. It's not like a video game where an alien planet will have one type of people. Again, looking at Earth, there are thousands of different cultures and thousands of different peoples that thrive on a shitload of different resources and have been formed around those resources.

Like I said. Hawking assuming that an alien species is innately evil is incredibly limited. And I'm done listening to another person ***** about how we're all going to kill ourselves soon. I don't care if they ***** through a computer or not. Though I do agree we should go into space, if just because it's furking awesome.

EDIT: That whole rant did start trying to counter the oppression part of your post. Saying they might not be. I just started jotting down thoughts after that.

but yeah

It is limited, considering, if we can manage to get to space in 200 years chances are we will have become under one great republic as well, I mean..it might not be the most stable..but it might be
Oh yeah, I fully expect rebellions popping up and everything. My point is more that Hawking should stick to physics as opposed to studying society and predicting what another one will do, let alone our own. Keep to the field where you're a super genius in.
Lets be honest here, we all knew this, and smart people are going to listen to him..so hopefully they don't take it too far as in "OMFG GET TO SPEEHS QUICKLY NOA!" but more "let us work together for a better future among the stars"

oh god..i couldn't finish that without giggling

were fucked

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:

So..extinction it is! =D

but yeah

Lets be honest here, we all knew this, and smart people are going to listen to him..so hopefully they don't take it too far as in "OMFG GET TO SPEEHS QUICKLY NOA!" but more "let us work together for a better future among the stars"

were fucked
I hope they do the "OMFG GET TO SPEEHS QUICKLY NOA" option. I'd love to see all the fucked up things they do to get out there, and if I can live on Mars in my lifetime I'll be happy.

Damn it, now I have to exercise and eat healthy, just to make that remotely possible...

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:

So..extinction it is! =D

but yeah

were fucked
I hope they do the "OMFG GET TO SPEEHS QUICKLY NOA" option. I'd love to see all the fucked up things they do to get out there, and if I can live on Mars in my lifetime I'll be happy.

Damn it, now I have to exercise and eat healthy, just to make that remotely possible...

Very true..on this kinda note..

say we do 'somehow' become some kind of great republic type thing, who do you think would play the biggest part?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
"Let's hope we can avoid dropping the basket until we have spread the load."
And Stephen Hawking rolls right into "that's what she said". Why couldn't I have been standing next to him when his robot said that?

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
One thing that does interest me and this made me think of: How would cross planetary internet connections work? (neeeerdyness!)

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
We've just got to hope Monsanto doesn't accidentally infect us all with some weird gene in their GM plants, that we don't create sentient life that resents us, hope that we eventually figure out more effective ways of farming, learn to control our sexual urges and most importantly, we've got to try and get rid of the concept of race, as from a galactic standpoint... I doubt an alien is going to care what part of this rock gave you your skin colour.

The human race has a lot of growing up to do.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
I can't wait until the children of today grow up. we live in a world where religious dependance is slowly dying, young children who are part of america's "enemies" know the horrors of war and will probably desire to live a more peaceful life. Then again, if the children of the world today are going into a world which will be harder for them for the first time in a while, everyone needs to put their best foot forward for thhe survival of the human race.

(im sorry if this made no sense, im really tired at the moment.)

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
The Undoer said:
One thing that does interest me and this made me think of: How would cross planetary internet connections work? (neeeerdyness!)
Teleportation! Or we'll somehow disprove the principle of causality and use tachyons for superfast connections. Or you'll have to settle for waiting 4.2 years to get the latest news from the Centauri system. :p
Let's focus on permanent settlements on the Moon and Mars first, then the other stuff.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
This is very true. Even if we did find a way to survive in perfect harmony on Earth, the Sun won't last forever.
You're thinking rather long term.
By then we'll have made an artificial star with has an entire space station built around it.
I forget what they call those.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
sorry hawking, but you're wrong. if we go into space....we will all....fucking....die. didn't you ever watch aliens? or predator? or alien vs. predator? i just got the original predator on blu-ray and the first AVP on DVD and i saw aliens a few weeks ago, and i saw niether of those for the first time.

i'm just saying, until we evolve and get acid blood or cloaking technology, we are all....fucking....screwed....

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I kinda agree. Humanity is pretty f-ing stupid so we need to smarten up, unite and look towards the stars. We need to work on space technology and warp drives and such in order to survive as a species.

Personally I was REALLY hoping that I would be able to stand on a planet and look at where Earth is.

Looks like that is not gonna happen in my lifetime unless we smarten up.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:

So..extinction it is! =D

but yeah

were fucked

say we do 'somehow' become some kind of great republic type thing, who do you think would play the biggest part?
Oh, Canada. We've got everything planned, we're just waiting for the right moment. Probably when the entire world gets fed up with the states and there's a massive war that leaves us unscathed and everyone else depleted. Then we strike.

Seriously, either the States or Britain. The states are already taking a very active role in world affairs and I can very easily see them taking rule at some point. Again, Canadian, so I may just be seeing this from my angle, which is basically the American angle with a whole lot more scorn. Britain just because of their track record, and the fact that an all-powerful ruler just doesn't seem right without that accent. Those two make the most sense so far as rulers of an empire.

Then there's North Korea to worry about. God help us if it's North Korea.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
firedfns13 said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
This is very true. Even if we did find a way to survive in perfect harmony on Earth, the Sun won't last forever.
You're thinking rather long term.
By then we'll have made an artificial star with has an entire space station built around it.
I forget what they call those.
Dyson Sphere.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Korten12 said:
TheSapphireKnight said:
Well if we do figure out a fast way to travel space, we always could just leave the milkey way when the sun explodes but that is still millions of years off.
Who says anything about leaving the milky way? The death of our star will have literally next to zero effect on the rest of the galaxy outside of some slight gravitation differences and a new planetary nebula will exist for a couple thousand years from the expelled layers of the sun.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Blueruler182 said:

So..extinction it is! =D

but yeah

were fucked

Oh, Canada. We've got everything planned, we're just waiting for the right moment. Probably when the entire world gets fed up with the states and there's a massive war that leaves us unscathed and everyone else depleted. Then we strike.

Seriously, either the States or Britain. The states are already taking a very active role in world affairs and I can very easily see them taking rule at some point. Again, Canadian, so I may just be seeing this from my angle, which is basically the American angle with a whole lot more scorn. Britain just because of their track record, and the fact that an all-powerful ruler just doesn't seem right without that accent. Those two make the most sense so far as rulers of an empire.

Then there's North Korea to worry about. God help us if it's North Korea.
North Korean space is best space!

Also..I'd agree on the Britain thing..simply 'cos i'm Scottish :3..and the record..we weren't world conquerors for nothing y'know!