2012, Mayan end date.

Aradiel

Jul 16, 2008
Maybe their number system only went that high? Though, if that were the case, then someone would have noticed it.

Since they were great astronomers, then if it is significant, it will probably be an astronomical event.
Destruction of the world? Doubtful. Encountering an alien race? How could that be predicted through that means? Same with world peace and world war - those would depend upon people rather than astronomy.

xChevelle24

Mar 10, 2009
0110100110 said:
When scholars first began to study the ancient Mayan culture, which flourished in Latin America during the first millennium, they were surprised to discover how highly developed Mayan knowledge of astronomy was. The Mayans were able to predict astronomical events such as eclipses with perfect accuracy far into the future. But something else struck the scholars too : for some reason the Mayan calendar came to an abrupt end on December 21 2012. What did this mean?

The 2012 Mystery

Interpretations of the Mayan calendar and the significance of its end date vary significantly. Some insist it means nothing. The Mayans just picked that end date arbitrarily because their calendar had to end somewhere, they say. For others, though, the Mayan end date is a forecast of doom : life as we know it will end on that day. Either everyone will die, or something so tumultuously significant will happen, that our lives will never be the same again.

The esoteric scholar Terence McKenna added another layer to the Mayan mystery when he published the result of his researches into the I Ching, an ancient Chinese book of prophecy. McKenna claimed that careful analysis of the I Ching revealed a pattern which paralleled events in human history. Mysteriously, it came to an abrupt end on December 21 2012. Rather than seeing in it a prediction of doom, however, McKenna tended to view the change positively. He believed that, on that date, a new era of enlightenment would begin. What would actually happen he was usually vague about, but some of his ideas included the invention of a time machine, the emergence of the first truly sentient artificial intelligence, or a global first contact event with an alien species.

It's certainly fascinating that two separate ancient predictive systems, originating in completely distinct cultures, should both attach cosmic significance to the winter solstice event of 2012. Is it time to get scared?

2012 : Enlightenment or Doom?
So if we are all doomed, what could the source of this doom possibly be? Some claim that the precessional cycle of the winter solstice will be in a once-in-every 26,000 years alignment with the galactic plane in 2012. In astrology, this precessional movement corresponds to a change in the precessional age : from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius, long foreseen as a time of enlightenment and joy. Some see in the alignment not joy, but danger, however. They fear that a great astronomical catastrophe is about to occur.

What is your opinion? Do you think December 21 2012 is a day of destruction? world peace? world war? or do you think it is a load of rubbish.
I think that on this day, everyone will turn into giant unicorns and start throwing starburst at each other and everything will be turned into bright and colorful colors!

*oh god i've gone insane*

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
The infamous SCAMola said:
ChocoFace said:
the year 1000 and Y2K had nothing to do with the Mayans though. Those years were picked, because they 'seemed' to be monumental.

I, however, hope that something incredibly awesome will happen in 2012.
EDIT: Fixed date.
What's so special about the Mayans anyway? If they were so smart then why didn't they predict that the Spaniards would have wiped them all out?
well, they were one of the first (if not the first) great civilizations.
And they didn't predict their own destruction, because they weren't the world.

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
we'll probably suffer both enlightenment AND doom on the same day, so we'll meet an alien, and we'll piss them off, and their mates will fuck us up. that or the Mayens belief that the void will consume us will come true, and we'll be exposed to an ungodly amount of radiation

The_Chief

Jun 3, 2008
"HOLY SHIT WE'RE BEING INVADED BY THE SPANISH! GET YOUR WEAPONS AND GET AT THE FRONT GATE!!"
"hold on i need to finish this calendar."
"THERE'S NO TIME!"
"but if i stop now everyone will think the world will end on december,21,2012."
"Who cares when it rolls around i'm sure that the people of that time will be smart enough to realize nothing will happen."
"Your right. LETS GO!"
kch dead.

thats what probably happened. also yea nostradamus's predictions were really vauge, and if they were so true why didn't they tell people about 9/11 before it happened? yea cuz they had to wait to connect it to the event that occurred.

Mar 17, 2009
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
the year 1000 and Y2K had nothing to do with the Mayans though. Those years were picked, because they 'seemed' to be monumental.

What's so special about the Mayans anyway? If they were so smart then why didn't they predict that the Spaniards would have wiped them all out?
That just prooves my point, if you can't even predict your own destruction, then don't go around predicting everyone else's.
Start out small, then slowly move on to bigger things.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Gitsnik said:
thedelightfulme said:
cathou said:
Come on, every know it the reawakening of the magic. there suppose a computer virus soon too that will crash the internet...
You CAN'T crash the internet. The internet is not ONE server. Its a network of BILLIONS of servers. So if you'd have to make ONE HELL of a virus for that.

Bugger all is going to happen. maybe AI but i doubt it.
You need to learn some more of the internet before you say that. If I hit the IP's of all the major root DNS servers with a hither-to unknown attack causing a denial of service - something big enough to flood bandwidth and hold restoration by backups off for roughly 24 hours - the internet will crash, and hard.

26 "servers", roughly 4 redundant machines per alphabet letter (actually there is only 13 (Edit: Or 16, I forget) but let's deal with nice numbers): 104 machines to attack and take down. A basic botnet could do that, a customised unknown exploit..... use your imagination.
Least we now know who to blame when this happens...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
ChocoFace said:
Bullshit, you know how many times the end of the world has been predicted and didn't happen?
The year 1000 or Y2K to name a few examples.

The truth is nothing is gonna happen in 2012, not Enlightenment, not Doom, not anything.

The Mayans who....erm, died out centuries ago, and didn't see it coming...hmmm.

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
no ending the world in 2012 please that's when i graduate! I am not doing all this work for nothing!
Mayans i reject your reality!

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
imacharginmehlaz0r said:
"HOLY SHIT WE'RE BEING INVADED BY THE SPANISH! GET YOUR WEAPONS AND GET AT THE FRONT GATE!!"
"THERE'S NO TIME!"
"Who cares when it rolls around i'm sure that the people of that time will be smart enough to realize nothing will happen."
"Your right. LETS GO!"
kch dead.

thats what probably happened. also yea nostradamus's predictions were really vauge, and if they were so true why didn't they tell people about 9/11 before it happened? yea cuz they had to wait to connect it to the event that occurred.
if you belive the "Bible Code" then the Torah already predicted 9/11, and 2012. ecpect according that 2012 coincides with a worldwide thermo-nuclear war

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Please don't tell me there are still people believing this crap... Well, one thing will happen in 2012 for sure: the 2012 fad will finally die and everyone will be picking another year life on earth will aperently end.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
tehb0ll0x said:
Oh god, not this shit again.
Pretty much this. December 21st 2012 will be the end of the next Mayan "Great Cycle". This was not a day of destruction, but a day of celebration. As far as I can tell, to make a very crude comparison with our own culture, it's effectively a glorified New Year.

Nothing will happen.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I think the Mayans probably though they would have redesigned their calendar by 2012, I mean if they though it was the end times they would probably have written some horrifying prophesies about it rather then just end the calendar. Everyone knows the world really ends in 2011 they just want to catch you unaware :D.

The_Chief

Jun 3, 2008
Archaon6044 said:
imacharginmehlaz0r said:
"THERE'S NO TIME!"
"Your right. LETS GO!"
kch dead.

if you belive the "Bible Code" then the Torah already predicted 9/11, and 2012. ecpect according that 2012 coincides with a worldwide thermo-nuclear war
i believe in the bible, but not really bible code. ive watched the show. you can do it to any book and have SOMETHING come out of it, as irrelevent as it may be. now if it predicted me getting laid and it happened, then i'd believe it.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:

That just prooves my point, if you can't even predict your own destruction, then don't go around predicting everyone else's.
What i meant was this: Mayans=people, World=planet Earth with everything on it.
I'd also like to point out that the date may not necessarily mean the end of the world.

Mar 17, 2009
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:

What i meant was this: Mayans=people, World=planet Earth with everything on it.
I'd also like to point out that the date may not necessarily mean the end of the world.
I would also like to clarify: my post= humourus and not supposed to be taken litteraly.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
imacharginmehlaz0r said:
Just for clarification purposes - Nostradamus was a genius. No, not because he got totally stoned off his face and wrote a few poems that a few crazy people think predict the future, but because he had major success in treating the victims of plague, and was one of the few physicians of the day who realized that drinking clean water and eating clean food was more effective than drilling holes in your skull and inserting leeches inside.

The_Chief

Jun 3, 2008
cuddly_tomato said:
imacharginmehlaz0r said:
drilling holes in your skull and inserting leeches inside.
first of all thats freakin amazing, second of all i knew he was a brillaint mind in many aspects, i watched a like 6 hour long documentary because i was enthralled, then became to lazy to change the channel.