ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
The infamous SCAMola said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
the year 1000 and Y2K had nothing to do with the Mayans though. Those years were picked, because they 'seemed' to be monumental.

I, however, hope that something incredibly awesome will happen in 2012.
EDIT: Fixed date.
What's so special about the Mayans anyway? If they were so smart then why didn't they predict that the Spaniards would have wiped them all out?
well, they were one of the first (if not the first) great civilizations.
And they didn't predict their own destruction, because they weren't the world.
That just prooves my point, if you can't even predict your own destruction, then don't go around predicting everyone else's.
Start out small, then slowly move on to bigger things.
What i meant was this: Mayans=people, World=planet Earth with everything on it.
I'd also like to point out that the date may not necessarily mean the end of the world.
I would also like to clarify: my post= humourus and not supposed to be taken litteraly.
Nah, you're just trying to come out with excuses now that i won.
Doesn't matter, though.
haha

Mar 17, 2009
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
the year 1000 and Y2K had nothing to do with the Mayans though. Those years were picked, because they 'seemed' to be monumental.

What's so special about the Mayans anyway? If they were so smart then why didn't they predict that the Spaniards would have wiped them all out?
That just prooves my point, if you can't even predict your own destruction, then don't go around predicting everyone else's.
I'd also like to point out that the date may not necessarily mean the end of the world.
I would also like to clarify: my post= humourus and not supposed to be taken litteraly.
Doesn't matter, though.
haha
Wha?

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Krakyn said:
tehb0ll0x said:
Oh god, not this shit again.
Seconded. The Mayan Calender is cyclical. The only people who thought the calendar abruptly ended were the idiots who weren't fully listening when the archaeologists were explaining. It just starts over.
you sir are wrong. I have learned in school recently since we were all talking about it that in the mayan calender the world ended 5 times and remade each time except the 5 time which is in 2012

p.s. maybe this was the change obama meant?

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:

Doesn't matter, though.
haha
Wha?
The tables have turned is all i can say here.
"I would also like to clarify: my post= humourus and not supposed to be taken litteraly."
Though seriously, we've gone on long enough.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
cathou said:
Come on, every know it the reawakening of the magic. there suppose a computer virus soon too that will crash the internet...
Wait, I thought the Great Ghost Dance will be performed by Daniel Howling Coyote in December 2011. The Great Crash doesn't supposedly hit 'till 2029. UGE is supposed start appearing too...

Isn't there some dragon that's supposed to appear over Japan in 2011 as well? I forget.

Oh! And VITAS (a virally spread allergic reaction) is supposed to kill about 25% of the Earth's population next year I believe.

We're screwed long before 2012. =D

Bonus points for people who catch the references here.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Argh, I know Ignorance is bliss but REALLLLYY...

Looks the Mayan calander goes in cycles. In fact they had planned on October 15 4772 for a royal corranation, It just starts again on December 21 2012, My God people...

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:

I call Bollocks. They weren't one of the first, they were early, but not "one of the first". If you want to go for "one of the first" you look in the region of Mesopotamia.
- The Sumerian civilization stretched from c5300BC to c1940BC. Sumer had risen and fallen as a civilization just as the Mayans were starting out.
- Even if you only count the dynastic periods (When egypt was united) of ancient egyptian culture you have a civilization that was over a thousand years old when the Mayans were starting out.
- The Indus Valley civilization of Pakistan and Nothern India also dates from 600 years prior to the generally accepted start of Maya civilization.

All these examples have significant amounts of archaeological residue including writings, ruins and artefacts.

This is not to say that the Mayans are not ancient. They are, contemporary with the likes of Babylon and ancient (not classical) greek culture. But to say they're one of the first civilizations is deceptive to say the least. Lets not forget also that on the level of technology they possessed the mayans were fairly firmly in the "Neolithc" period, perhaps maybe straying slightly into "Early Bronze age", if we take this into account then we should include things like... the Henge and Barrow cultures of the British Isles and Northern Europe (responsible for Stone Henge) and the fact that Mesopotamian Neolithic cultures exist BEFORE the cited examples.

I don't want you to get the feeling I'm knocking the Mayans, they're a civilization and to dismiss them off hand is more than a little racist, or at least a culture-historical view of Archaeological thought. However, the point I am trying to make is that the Mayans are, while ancient, by no means the first or indeed, one of the first civilizations. Nor does their being ancient give them any more authaurity to speak upon the end of the world than anyone else. I mean, they're contemporary with the early biblical periods... and we all know that according to various interpertations of the bible the world has been supposed to end every other year since god knows when.

Damien the Pigeon

Oct 23, 2008
Why are people always to eager to find the day that the Earth will end? It's just constant negativity! "Oh God, Y2K! Oh God, 2012! Oh God, if you add numbers from the New Testament and the Book of Revelations, you get May 3, 2014!!!"

Bottom line:

Unless you can show me scientific proof that a large hunk of flaming space rock is hurdling toward the Earth at an incredibly high rate, this is total crap!

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
I'm SORRY, I got f'ing tired of writing calanders. Wasn't enough to help the MAYANS, nooo, the Chinese wanted one too! You want a calander that goes past 2012? GO WRITE YOUR OWN!

bindox

Mar 19, 2009
Bullshit, you know how many times the end of the world has been predicted and didn't happen?
The year 1000 or Y2K to name a few examples.

The truth is nothing is gonna happen in 2012, not Enlightenment, not Doom, not anything.
You are wrong!! Immediately following the last second of the last minute of the last hour of Dec 21, 2012, it will become the next day! That's something isn't it?

People that yell Do0o0o0oM crack me up. Your 2 examples are forgotten by new doomsayer hordes. :)

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Archaeology Hat said:
ChocoFace said:
ChocoFace said:

I call Bollocks. They weren't one of the first, they were early, but not "one of the first". If you want to go for "one of the first" you look in the region of Mesopotamia.
- The Sumerian civilization stretched from c5300BC to c1940BC. Sumer had risen and fallen as a civilization just as the Mayans were starting out.
- Even if you only count the dynastic periods (When egypt was united) of ancient egyptian culture you have a civilization that was over a thousand years old when the Mayans were starting out.
- The Indus Valley civilization of Pakistan and Nothern India also dates from 600 years prior to the generally accepted start of Maya civilization.

All these examples have significant amounts of archaeological residue including writings, ruins and artefacts.

This is not to say that the Mayans are not ancient. They are, contemporary with the likes of Babylon and ancient (not classical) greek culture. But to say they're one of the first civilizations is deceptive to say the least. Lets not forget also that on the level of technology they possessed the mayans were fairly firmly in the "Neolithc" period, perhaps maybe straying slightly into "Early Bronze age", if we take this into account then we should include things like... the Henge and Barrow cultures of the British Isles and Northern Europe (responsible for Stone Henge) and the fact that Mesopotamian Neolithic cultures exist BEFORE the cited examples.

I don't want you to get the feeling I'm knocking the Mayans, they're a civilization and to dismiss them off hand is more than a little racist, or at least a culture-historical view of Archaeological thought. However, the point I am trying to make is that the Mayans are, while ancient, by no means the first or indeed, one of the first civilizations. Nor does their being ancient give them any more authaurity to speak upon the end of the world than anyone else. I mean, they're contemporary with the early biblical periods... and we all know that according to various interpertations of the bible the world has been supposed to end every other year since god knows when.
Point taken.
What i had in mind was that they were really a great civilization, having had developed far at their time.
But i'll have to admit that my knowledge of the ancient cultures isn't much.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
All of this has happened before...

I don't know what's going to happen. I believe there are two possibilities; first, nothing is going to happen, and it will be an ordinary day; or second, where a great, monumental change will occur. Possibly one related to rebirth. This could be referring to a good change, like the Renaissance or the Scientific Revoltuion, or not. There's no way to know until it happens.

Feb 13, 2008
Given the calendar has changed at least once (Gregorian->Julian) and there are at least three separate ones in existence, which particular 2012?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure it ended because the Spanish came along and started beating them to a pulp,and we all know it's hard to study astronomy while being beaten to a pulp.

HydraZulu

Oct 6, 2008
I don't really care. It'd be a shame if the world ended so soon, but there's nothing we can really do about it. Kinda like my views on death. I don't believe in an afterlife, yet I'm not afraid of death. If I were to die tomorrow, it'd suck. So much I still want to do. Wouldn't regret anything, though.

My personal explanation for the Mayan calendar thing is that they just didn't see a need to go that far into the future. I bet they were thinking they would just add more years on it when it got closer.

Aunel

May 9, 2008
I would laugh if "all our imaginations will come true" there would be like robots and Jedi's running around blowing stuff up.

it would be awesome, BRING IT ON!