2019 the best year for FPS?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I mean look at what its coming.

OMG Metro, Doom Eternal and Rage 2! In same freakin Year!!? plus there can be more.

Last time it was 2007 when we got amazing FPS games combo with STALKER/Crysis1/Orange box..

2019 shaping to be best year for FPS in long time??

lets discuss

Samos205

Dec 14, 2011
Country
New Zealand
three games isn't really enough to say its going to be the best year, a good year maybe but not the "best" year

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
My friend, those games are generic and overrated.

You cant even play as a woman, so how are you supposed to feel like a badass?

Discuss.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh yeah, because 3 games that aren't even out yet are a greeeeeeeeeeeeat indicator for an entire year. Sure.
Also,
meh, meh and meh.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
It?s amazing, but I think every B-Cell thread I?ve seen has either been about hyping upcoming (non military) FPS games or why other types of games and their devs are over rated.

Anyways, what ever happened to Witchfire?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Metro: Don't care.

Rage 2: Don't care.

Doom Eternal: Very skeptical

Also worth pointing out that all of these are sequels.

So, no. Doubt it'll be the best year. Then again, FPS games are so ubiquitous, I don't think any year could be called a "best year" when there's so many of the things coming out all the time.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Bilious Green said:
B-Cell, why do you always ask us to predict the future? This is a gaming forum, not a fortune-telling forum.
[img width=400""]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fairytail/images/e/ea/Unnamed_Eisenwald_-3.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20111107072842[/img]

Damn! I never realized it... :(

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Blurting out our picks for the best year of FPSes hey? Alright- mine's gotta be 2000

I mean c'mon- Perfect Dark!? Soldier of Fortune? The launch of seminal series like Deus Ex and Counter Strike? This was the year of both Medal of Honor Underground and No One Lives Forever. It had the first appearance of Timesplitters. The World is Not Enough came out. Quake III got its team expansion. Delta Force got another iteration. Codename Eagle. Team Fortress Standalone. Turok 3. SWAT 3 Elite edition. Unreal freaking Tournament GOTY edition anyone?? Even the Dreamcast got in on the fun with its own exclusive in Outtrigger.

Compared to now? My god, what the hell happened to the games industry?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
*Yawn*

All 3 look like generic slog shooters. Hell I was trying to replay Doom and I'm so fucking bored. Its just the same thing over and over and over.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Squilookle said:
Blurting out our picks for the best year of FPSes hey? Alright- mine's gotta be 2000

I mean c'mon- Perfect Dark!? Soldier of Fortune? The launch of seminal series like Deus Ex and Counter Strike? This was the year of both Medal of Honor Underground and No One Lives Forever. It had the first appearance of Timesplitters. The World is Not Enough came out. Quake III got its team expansion. Delta Force got another iteration. Codename Eagle. Team Fortress Standalone. Turok 3. SWAT 3 Elite edition. Unreal freaking Tournament GOTY edition anyone?? Even the Dreamcast got in on the fun with its own exclusive in Outtrigger.

Compared to now? My god, what the hell happened to the games industry?
the only good ones are Deus Ex and Soldier of fortune. NOLF was overrated/Meh and perfect dark and MOH underground are shallow console shooters.

Feb 26, 2014
3 post-apocalyptic first person shooters that look extra generic when placed side by side. Yup, sounds about right. While EA and Activision both shit the bed when it comes to awful business practices. Battlefield's pre-order bonuses are even more heinous than usual and Call of Duty is committed to seeing how far it can go before getting boycott again. Locking one of their most popular game modes behind a $100 paywall oughta do it, but we'll see.

The fps I'm most interested in is Witchfire, by The Astronauts, the developers of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, as well as one of/all of the developers for Painkillers and Bulletstorm. Sadly, there's been no news on the development front. The website says the game is far from complete and they only released the teaser to let people know they're still alive and kicking.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
3 sequels to a gaming genre that innovates at a glacial pace? Wowee

Can't wait to circle-strafe an enemy to death or pop up from cover and hug a wall texture whenever I'm feeling creative.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Captain Marvelous said:
3 post-apocalyptic first person shooters that look extra generic when placed side by side. .
what is so generic about any of them? they all are very different game. and how is Doom post apocalyptic?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
B-Cell said:
Captain Marvelous said:
3 post-apocalyptic first person shooters that look extra generic when placed side by side. .
what is so generic about any of them? they all are very different game. and how is Doom post apocalyptic?
Apocalyptic may be a bit of an oversell, but for your own amusement, make a list of every FPS that involves going through a space station/science lab after some sort of crisis has occurred.

As to that specific Doom, they literally said Hell on Earth to introduce it. So we can assume its post-Demon Apocalypse earth.

Feb 26, 2014
B-Cell said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Yeah, they're all different games, but the post apocalyptic setting is starting to blend together to me. The post apocalypse doesn't have to be brown every time, dammit! Other colors still exist! Doesn't Doom take place on an earth that's been ravaged by demons/aliens/whateverthefuck? That's the feeling the teaser trailer gave me, anyway.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
They look decent enough, but best EVER? They've got the years Blood and Quake came out to compete with, and decent ain't near enough to beat THAT.

Also, until I get a remaster or at least a good sequel to Undying, I'll never consider it the best year.