Second Chinese Teen Killed in Internet Rehab

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Second Chinese Teen Killed in Internet Rehab

A second teenager has been killed in one of China's rehab camps designed to help break internet addiction.

A little over one year after a Chinese teenager was killed in an internet addiction rehab camp [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93639-Chinese-Teen-Beaten-to-Death-at-Internet-Addiction-Camp] in 2009, a report has come out about a second death. The story has emerged from a completely separate camp, but is disturbingly similar in nature.

16-year-old Chen Shi's mother made the decision to send the boy to the Beiteng School in the capital of China's Hunan province because, in her words, he was "afraid of hardship, had weak willpower and not enough self-confidence." She lured her son to the school by a promise that he was going to study IT. School directors reportedly encourage parents to either lie like this, or to just "kidnap" their children to get them to attend.

Two days after Chen's mother returned home after dropping him off, she was notified that her son was in the hospital for "sunstroke." He died before she and her husband were able to reach him, but they found his body covered in bruises. Witnesses say a Beiteng instructor and two others beat Chen with a wooden baton, handcuffs, and a plastic pipe when he refused to run during a training session.

Beiteng has been shut down and police have detained three people on the suspicion of murdering Chen. I get that China doesn't want its citizens using the internet too much or playing online games with anything but flowers and happy faces in them [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101564-China-Cracks-Down-on-Unwholesome-Game-Content], but maybe the government should be more concerned with the way its youth is being treated in these brutal camps instead of how much fun they're having killing virtual dragons.

Source: AFP [http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iOxXZwTTtYJjlXOUx52rfMOSbW6Q?docId=CNG.164caa25dc9f9cd73359c4be468ff1ec.9e1]

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Oh China.
Can you imagine the conversation after the kid got hospitalized, battered and bruised?
"So uh...if anybody asks, he got too much sun."
Solid cover story dudes.

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
wow...china

I think its time we embargo them for their crimes. also to boost jobs in the US and other places that are not china

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
"Rejoice! For your son is cured!!!!!!"
"Looks pretty dead to me...."
"Potayto potahto"

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
AxCx said:
Indeed.

Stay classy, China.
Oh man I laughed pretty hard when I read your comment. I feel kind of bad about that.

eljawa said:
wow...china

I think its time we embargo them for their crimes. also to boost jobs in the US and other places that are not china
I agree.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Sunstroke. You could've said he was beaten by peers; you could've said he fell down a flight a stairs, at least that would explain why a bit of sun gave him numerous bruises.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Well murder is certainly one way to get you off the computer. Though I don't believe he will be getting any more fresh air when he's 6 feet deep.

On a related note, I'm so ungodly pale I wouldn't be surprised if the sun was able to bruise me. Bloody nightlights give me sunburn.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Nice job there, mother-of-none.
You curb internet addiction by making real life not-shit, by the way.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
eljawa said:
wow...china

Doesn't work so well for the United States, China's been loaning them money for years in exchange for American companies to make joint venture projects with Chinese companies. If China screws up too much or doesn't loan them money, the Americans can rapidly devalue their currency, while if America screws up no more loans. Basically a lose-lose situation.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
That mother deserves to have no son, the way she lied and manipulated him. It's just a shame he had to die to teach her that lesson.

I hope the people who killed him rot in jail, and I hope his mother wakes up sweating at night, crying about what she did.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
China: We're break your internet addiction and about half your ribs.

Seriously though, this doesn't surprise me. It'd be happening in North Korea if North Korea had access to the internet.